SRWare Iron 6.0.475 Stable for Windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LODBROK, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

How about, "Speed Kills"? ;)

3. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Here's what some devs had to say about Iron as well

http://neugierig.org/software/chromium/notes/2009/12/iron.html

http://chromium.hybridsource.org/the-iron-scam

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Reimer, thanks for those links.

Below the chat, there's this argument:
    I've raised precisely this point in various places but I've been countered by silence or LOLs or emoticons. What exactly do we know about the makers of Iron? Or Chrome Plus? Comodo has at least some reputation.

Of course, there's also the more practical question of being in a position of, "This (usually an extension) works for Chrome, but will it work for Iron or Chrome Plus or Comodo Dragon or whichever clone comes up next?"

Further, quite a few people seem to think that Chromium has nothing to do with Google.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

To be fair, Iron did come out with some sort of Ad blocking which was not available to Chrome.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Plus first release used a newer version of the Webkit, which was a security improvement

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I suspect only reason for that was because they used a newer version of Chromium - which came compiled with newer versions of WebKit - than the ones Google Chrome was based off on. Historically SRWare has had very poor quality control and the tendency to choose buggy versions of Chromium to base Iron on, sometimes the Chromium versions were so obviously bugged you had to wonder if anyone at SRWare even looked at it before they just made their modifications and released it as their own product sporting a higher version number than official Chrome. Hopefully this has improved since.

As far as I'm aware of SRWare also contributes virtually nothing upstream back into Chromium. Can't think of any reason why I'd use it over Chrome/Chromium tbh, even if you need a portable version it takes only a matter of minutes to create your own from the standalone Chrome installer, or just use the Chromium zip packages.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Can chromium be considered stable enough for normal use? I assume that Chrome is pretty well tested before they release it. I don't see much difference between them on the surface. ChromePlus does have some items built in that are nice.

They all truly seem like clones with only slight differences.

Maybe the question to ask is which flavor would have a negative feature(s).

Sul.

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Not if you upgrade it continuously. If you find a build that works without major issues for you, stick with it as long as you can.

10. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I've been running Chromium for about 2 (3 was typed by mistake) years now. And, during all this time, there's only been one issue, and it was regarding small letter size, which I was able to figure out how to fix it. I even asked for a few suggestions at this forum, while I was still checking things around to fix that issue.

I don't update Chromium hourly... It would be insane, but I do update it, at least, two times a week.

It has always worked great for me. Very stable, surprisingly. Unlike what happened with Minefield (I believe this was the right name.) hourly releases of Firefox.

So, Sully, if you wish to give Chromium a try, I can tell you that you won't regret it.
    Obviously, it's an hourly build, and whenever you update it, there may be a minor glitch (Which happened with me only once, and sometime ago, as I explained above.). But, which software doesn't, right? ;)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Um, it's only been around for 2 years, actually.

Can't say I've been as lucky as you. I update daily, and during my 18 months I've ran into crashes, display errors, ignored settings, regressions, and various other backend errors that were annoying at best, often made it difficult to be productive with Chromium, or downright made Chromium unusable.

Active tester and bug reporter here. For obvious reasons, Chromium is not my main browser; I use Firefox and Chrome beta for that purpose.

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You're right! I typed 3, when I wanted to type 2. They're side by side numbers. :D

Thank you for alerting.

Edit: I haven't yet tried Chrome beta. Do you find it to be quite stable? Obviously, each system is different, just like what happens with Chromium, as we both witness entirely different behaviors with it. But, how is running for you?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

According to Google, Chrome beta is essentially Chrome stable with less UI/UX polish. Major bugs are expected to be worked out before a build gets released to the beta channel.

My experience with it so far has more or less mirrored that official description.

14. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, I'm quite pleasantly surprised that 6.0.475 seems relatively bug free! It looks like they're getting their act together, at last.

15. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Minor Upgrade to 6.0.475.1

contains last Bug-/Securitypatches

Rules.

16. pan15

pan15 Registered Member

what happened to shift+ctrl+b opening your bookmarks in a new window? how can i view my bookmarks in a new windows i hate the old way that they went back too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.