SRWare Iron 6.0.475 Stable for Windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LODBROK, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

You know, these type of comments "blow my mind"

Hmmmmmm......... let's see - google tracks your searches, scans your email, creates a browser build that also "tracks" and only removes these features when they come under fire for putting them in there :rolleyes:

Reimer - there is a "HUGE point" for continuing to use Iron - "It Ain't Google"!:cautious:

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Except that it is. All SRWare did was take Chromium and pull out the stuff that Google allows you to pull out yourself as well. If you're really gripped that much by wanton paranoia, you shouldn't be using Iron either.

3. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

lol!

google = disrespect users privacy

Iron = respect

Hmmmm...... let's see....... which one do i choose......... Hmmmmm...... i don't know...... it's so difficult to decide....... Hmmmmmmm........ :rolleyes:

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

... You weren't trying to be serious, were you?

5. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

tobacco what do you think of chromiun,is it good like iron?

6. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

They distribute a portable version that's actually... portable. Yes I know there are loads of Chrome portables out there posted up in forums, blogs, whatever. Those are for you and others. Not me.

Of course we know this to be true because Google says so. And when you Google allows you to disable an "option," it's disabled. Yup. Sure is. :blink:

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

As always, paranoia is the hallmark of the ignorant. The rest of us are thankfully smart enough to fire up a packet sniffer and verify things for ourselves.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

@Eice

Can you elaborate on what exactly one would do to disable features of this order? Or do you have a link, or search terms. As one who has not followed chrome at all, I would like to find some resources to learn more about it. Problem is, other than searching for "chrome privacy", I don't know what I am looking for.

Sul.

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I find that the features in question actually add a lot of practical value to Chrome. It's one of the reasons I don't use Iron, actually, because those features are stripped out, most notably search and URL suggestions from the address bar.

If you'd rather do without them, however, click the wrench icon, "Options", "Under the Hood", and disable stuff as you see fit in the "Privacy" section.

10. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Oh, I guess I didn't think they would be in the GUI. I thought this might be one of those options you can use on the command line when starting, as there are quite a few.

If it is all in the GUI I have probably set them the way I want them regardless of what is going on "behind the scenes".

Sul.

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

You may find these 2 links to be of interest:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/chrome/google-chrome-privacy-whitepaper.pdf
    http://src.chromium.org/svn/trunk/src/chrome/common/chrome_switches.cc

12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Yes I do. Thanks.

Sul.

13. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Not ignorant, just lazy. :isay: I blew off that sniffer tedium long ago.

Now I just implement my simple two-step program:
    1) Don't use Google Chrome.
    2) See step one.

14. microbial

microbial Registered Member

Have been running Iron for a couple of days now and am impressed. IE9 could have a battle on its hands for my browser of choice!

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

6.0.475 is the best & most stable release yet. I reckon it could give Chrome a battle ...

16. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I am weighing this myself, but if Chrome has an opt-out of any privacy/tracking features, and Chrome gets updated much more often, why is Iron even being offered? I have used Iron for 3 months as my primary browser. In the last few weeks I have switched to Chrome. There are a few cosmetic differences, but I just don't see much else that separates them.

Am I missing something?

Sul.

17. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

There never was any point for Iron's existence. Privacy issues with Chrome? Just take them away. Concerned with the unique ID Chrome sets in the system? Easy, use Chromium, if not wanting to remove by yourself.

http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_chrome_vs_iron.php

Is this really suppose to make people use Iron, instead of Chrome? Couldn't they just place some text, explaining how users could get rid of all that? :D

There's one that really amused me

Yes, it is done that way, but not ideal for permanent usage? How so? For what I know, and I don't know everything, the user-agent does not get deleted after each session, either by using it in a shortcut or batch file.

Crazy world, I tell you.

Edit: It seems they removed a lot more iron vs chrome. That information wasn't accurate, at all. At least, they no longer have it, misleading visitors.

18. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Don't trust Google because of "privacy" issues. Fine.

But implicitly trust those who modify Chrome/Chromium code and claim to assure your privacy?

What does anyone know about those who make Iron or Chrome Plus?

Is the choice of Iron or Chrome Plus sufficient to ensure your total privacy or is there a lot whole of other stuff to be done before stepping out into the world?

To my mind, Chrome is under far more scrutiny than Iron or Chrome Plus and therefore less likely to provide an unpleasant surprise one fine day.

There is, of course, the obvious point that Iron mostly plays catch up. The one well-known instance where it led was in the "AdBlock" facility.

19. Daveski17

They are virtually identical these days, that's true. It's still nice to have the choice though, I suppose.

20. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, it is. The way I see it: Chrome and Chromium. These are the great choices. One has the brand Google and stuff like the unique ID, which can be taken away, and the other doesn't have Google's brand nor the unique ID.

Comodo claims that Comodo Dragon is safer than Chrome. In what aspects? Does anyone know?

Better privacy? How so? The check boxes come disabled! That's all, right? :D

;)

21. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

I wonder how many people use Iron, then do all of their online searching via Google and have Gmail handle their emails...

22. Sully

Sully Registered Member

When I looked for Chromium, I found that you had to "roll your own". Is there a chromium browser that I haven't seen? Or just what exactly are you guys referring to? Compiling your own chromium binary?

Sul.

23. Daveski17

See, loads of choices!

24. Daveski17

Yeah, I thought you had to have about 86 degrees in software engineering or be Bill Gates or something to download chrome. I may be wrong about this. o_O

25. Eice

Eice Registered Member

http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-xp/?C=M;O=D

If you want to, you can indeed compile your desired build of Chromium coupled with your desired build of WebKit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.