SRWare Iron 15.0.900.0

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Seeker, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Or 'Under the Bonnet'. ;)

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

bonnet sounds effete ;) I used to see that as well since Google still believes the sun doesn't set on the Empire.

3. Daveski17

It's not an admission of a scam though is it? It's freeware. I don't begrudge SRWare Iron making money out of Iron. What I find strange is the need for Google & their fanboys/admirers to keep making these attacks on Iron as a browser. The German government, quite rightly in my opinion, were very concerned about the data mining & particularly the data scraping by Google camera cars. I even believe that the issue was raised in the Bundestag. I actually admire the Germans for standing up for themselves & for standing up against the monolithic Google Borg.

Hungry, we've been through all this before on these forums. Iron is not a scam, it would have to be vendor ware for that. Even if the blokes behind SRWare want to make money, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, nothing they have EVER done is as devious & insidious as the things that Google have done. At the end of the day, you can completely uninstall Iron from your computer. I'm pretty sure Chrome leaves plenty of files behind, these are deliberately hidden from most average PC users. Google just aren't particularly honest. Nothing SRWare have ever done has come close to the data mining inter alia that Google has been attempting. The SRWare Iron blokes want to make a few quid; that's fine. Google are a massive greedy corporation making billions. I trust SRWare far more than I trust Google. Jeez, I trust Microsoft more than I trust Google.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

to do what :D ?

5. Daveski17

It sounds better than 'hood' though.

You really need to get over this. Time has moved on, it's the 21st century now. Well, it is in Europe anyhow. ;)

6. Daveski17

I was being a tad ironic. ;)

7. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

People who are negative about Iron are simply applying the same skepticism people like you apply to Google. You claim these are "attacks". Shouldn't we examine exactly how Iron differs from Chrome and if these differences are legitimate? Surely, if they claim Iron to be a privacy-oriented browser then we should find out if these claims are true and to what extent.

As already pointed out, the claims on their Iron vs. Chrome comparison page is largely constructed of features that a user can simply disable in Chrome if they so wish. All Iron does is hard-code these off. And then there are just plain lies as is the case with "URL Tracker". Clearly, they leave that there because it sounds scary.

And no, there is nothing wrong with making money. However, there is a clear difference between making money on the side with a good, honest product and releasing a product TO make money.

8. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

By the way, who funds the Chromium project?

If people don't trust the funding source should they be using its products or off-shoots? I wonder.

9. guest

guest Guest

I would like to know from any Iron user what it offers that pure Chromium (not Google Chrome) doesn't. May change my mind on this statement. ;)

10. guest

guest Guest

11. Daveski17

Maybe people like me are naturally suspicious, particularly of large corporations. Plus your corollary is a little disingenuous, the main attacks on Iron seem to be from Chrome fanboys & people who have something to gain from mudslinging.

"Attacks"? OK, choose a semantically equivalent transitive verb of your own choice.

I've been using Iron for over two years, I am fairly sure I know how it differs from Chrome. However, you can examine what you wish.

Again, I'm not bothered what the 'royal we' believe to be true or not. 'They', I suppose you mean SRWare's claims, seem to me to be exactly what's stated. If it's a scam, I haven't lost any money so I don't know what the problem is. I do know that SRWare Iron haven't driven past my house in a car with an aerial & data mined me. That's for sure.

Who cares? If you don't like it, don't use it.

Yeah, Google are so good & honest that the German government questioned their policies & actions.

To be honest, I'm just not really interested in your opinion, it's like we keep going 'round the Wrekin about this. I've heard it all before. SRWare Iron was created in response to a reaction of the German government to specific anti-privacy actions by Google. No one goes into business to provide 'an honest product' or to provide 'an honest service', that's not what business is about. Business is about making money. Google have been far more uneconomical with the truth than SRWare ever have. If a German developer saw a market opportunity because of Google's actions, good for him. Who cares about a couple of little pork pies? SRWare's alleged porkies are nothing compared to the things Google have been surreptitiously doing.

I will not reply to this thread any more as I feel that I am just repeating myself. At the end of the day, if you don't want to use Iron, don't download it.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  12. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

They put out "feature" that exist in Chrome saying that you need to use Iron to get them (disabling privacy) and they make Chrome sound really scary. It's scaring users into using their product, which to me is a scam.

He also says that the reason he's doing it is not to help people use a more-private browser but because he wants hits on his site so that he can make money.

And that really, to me, isn't that cool. It's not about me not using it, it's about some guy profiting on a product by scaring people with FUD and blatant lies, which is pretty much what he admits to in so many words. I think people should know that.

EDIT: I also really don't care about other browser forks. I don't see a lot of point in some of them, but some of them are pretty cool. So this isn't some "Fanboy" thing where I'm just hating on every other browser as I'm sure someone will think. I just don't like someone profiting off of a product through baseless fears.

13. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

You are suspicious of large corporations? Good. You should apply the same logic and reasoning to any business regardless of size.

I'm sorry you feel that simply stating facts is somehow akin to mudslinging. My post wasn't about changing your opinion. It's about informing others who happen to pass by this thread who want to know if this Iron product is worth using.

If they happen to not care that the Srware devs mislead people to use their product, that's their choice and I haven't said otherwise.

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

15. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Those folks do a really nice job. :) Regardless, I don't quite understand the rationale for making an app portable when the developer already offers a portable version (PortableApps Platform integration, perhaps?). They do the same thing with Opera despite the fact that Opera offers a standalone (USB) installation option.

16. guest

guest Guest

Yeah: Portable Platform integration.

And I love that, way easier to manage/update + gets more tested.

17. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

prius04, as guest has aptly stated, that is correct.

18. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I hate to interrupt this riveting debate, but I have a question. I remember Comodo came out with a browser based on Chromium or Chrome, Comodo Dragon. What are the differences between Iron and Comodo Dragon?

19. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

I have tried Chrome several times but it was slower on my old computer than Firefox. I tried Chrome on Windows 7, and Chromium on several Linux distros with similar results.

I installed Iron in Puppy and it is quite fast.
    I then tried it with W7, and it is also pretty darn quick.

I like it so far.

20. Hungry Man

I don't see how it could have any speed difference considering that they do nothing to speed it up. It is usually a version behind though.

I think Dragon uses extra certificate verification via Comodo's own certs or something.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Dude! You really need to let go :D

22. Hungry Man

The project bothers me. I don't like people who are trying to make money off of FUD.

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

But scare-marketing is quite common (and successful).

24. Hungry Man

Which doesn't make it any less bothersome.

25. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's just a matter of training your mind and tuning out certain things. Plus,
    The Last Decalogue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.