SRP v. Java & Scripting Languages such as Python

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sbseven, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbseven

sbseven Registered Member

I seem to have a hole in my knowledge of Software Restriction Policies with regards to applying SRP rules and settings against Java and third party scripting languages.

These quotes from technet docs worried me:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709689(WS.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/pt-br/library/cc786941(WS.10).aspx

From the start of the second quote, it appears that Windows scripting is covered by core rules (except methods of running .vbs through Office Apps which I think has already been discussed).

I'm not that worried about perl being targetted, but I'm wondering about Java? I'm also wondering about Python, which will be installed with OpenOffice unless you're very careful and deselect the Python-Uno Bridge setting via the custom install...

My SRP configuration on Vista x86 HP is based on Sully's PGS default configuration which contains additional windows scripting extensions. I read somewhere about possibly denying wscript.exe/cscript.exe/srcobj.dll for further hardening. I've not read anything relating to SRP settings for Java and 3rd party scripting languages.

I've waded through what I think are the main SRP threads:

I couldn't find anything in any detail to my questions which are regarding:
    • The vulnerabilities (other otherwise) of SRP v. Java
    • The vulnerabilities (other otherwise) of SRP v. 3rd party scripting languages such as Python
    • Any SRP settings that people employ to mitigate any vulnerabilities

Can somebody please enlighten me? (Or point me to the info if it's been discussed in detail before)...

Thanks.

2. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

I have wondered this also, but sorry cannot add anything of use....

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

SRP offers no granular protection against Java, Python, etc., as far as I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.