SRP method

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rilla927, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

No problem, we all have a life outside of here:D

In regards to AV; with more than one user (you) I wouldn't advise it but that's up to you. Av is always good to catch what you don't know is there.

You may have a problem with some registry settings but I can't be positive. The only way to find out is install SuRun through Admin (I would turn off SRP just so you can install SuRun and configure it in all accounts then turn back on) and then see if you can access SuRun in all your other accounts and see how it goes. Make sure your not connected to the net when installing and configuring SuRun. If you start to have a lot of problems then I would delete the other accounts and start fresh.

I started with a fresh slate of windows added some rules to the firewall that were needed (most were already in place from previous installation and I imported the rules in very easily with windows firewall) these were outbound rules cuz I have inbound blocked. Configured all my browsers and sandboxie. This was all done off line before I connected to the net. The last thing was to install the AV and then shut internet back off and make my other Admin account that will be used by SuRun and install SuRun and configure and then turn on SRP.

I'm sure evryone has different thoughts on this but it worked well for me.

That's a good question. I never looked at mine until now. I have secondary logon set to automatic but I don't know if it's needed for SuRun. Maybe Johnny or someone else can chime in to make sure.
    Did Norton say the site was okay and then you got "mywebsearch"?

As Sully mentioned Shadow Defender is used to keep any junk off your computer and keep a clean state. Sandboxie and Return IL are two others folks use also.

2. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Don't get rid of any accounts, you need your administrator account! Also don't add any admin accounts to the SuRunners group. Your limited account should be in the SuRunners group and none of the others.
    If SuRun is working then you haven't disabled anything it requires. I'm not aware of any services it requires, however. As Rilla mentioned above, it used to require Secondary Logon, but that was several versions ago.
    Maybe you should activate the Guest account and let them use that.

3. Rilla927

Hi Johnny,

I don't know if you noticed in the link for SuRunner tutorial it says to start with a second Admin account then add that to SuRunner group. Then once it's added to SuRunner it will then automatically be a limited account. I don't want to confuse him/her;) I followed these directions and it worked like a charm.

4. Johnny123

Oh, I thought that he/she already had SuRun installed, my mistake. At any rate, you can do it either way. The way you did it works fine or you can just make a limited account and then add that to the SuRunners group (the way I do it). All roads lead to Rome ;)

The admin accounts, however, shouldn't be added to SuRunners, for obvious reasons. I think that's probably why it's in the configuration "never ask admininstrators to join SuRunners".

5. Rilla927

Hi Johnny,

No problem. As they say there are more than one way to skin a cat. You keep your original Admin account. Right before installing SuRun it tells you to make another Admin account and once SuRun is installed it then becomes a limited account once you add it to SuRunner group.

6. tlu

tlu Guest

Rilla927, it's been a long time ago since I installed SuRun, but I'm pretty sure that this is wrong. SuRun won't change an admin account into a limited account. You have to create a new limited account OR you manually turn an existing admin account into a limited account but that has serious drawbacks which are addressed in this post.

7. Johnny123

I wasn't aware of that either until Rilla mentioned it. I took a look at Mrkvonic's tutorial and sure enough, that's exactly how he did it. There's even a screenshot of SuRun warning that the account will lose its admin status if added to the SuRunners group. On the other hand, I don't see any advantage to this method vs. creating a limited account and adding it to the SuRunners group.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Yes, I agree.

BTW, just noticed beta15 :thumb: Scroll to bottom.

http://forum.kay-bruns.de/thread/271,8

Code:
    SuRun 1.2.0.9 Beta15 - 2010-11-08
    ---------------------------------
    * CHG: SuRun uses CryptProtectData() for storing user passwords. 
      This encryption uses a master key derived from the user's Windows password.
    * NEW: SuRun can be forced to store and use a user's password. 
      This hopefully solves problems with domain networks.
    * NEW: SuRun's ShellExecute Hook let's non-SuRunners use SuRun's "Run as..."
    * FIX: When using the black high contrast theme, in some of SuRun's windows no 
      text was visible.
    * CHG: ScreenSnap uses CreateDIBSection instead of Get-/SetDIBits

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2010
  9. Rilla927

@Johnny, Tlu

I saved this file for offline so I could use it as I installed SuRun. I didn't want to confuse myself with other things that may work so I stuck to that article.

Especially installing it for the first time.

10. Johnny123

Well, that was a very wise decision. You got everything working properly right off the bat, which is what you want. If you look through the really long thread on SuRun that tlu started you'll see that a few jumped in blindly without reading about it first and didn't seem to really understand the purpose of the whole thing.

11. Rilla927

So far so good. I had a few questions but you answred those so it looks as if it's working the way it should.

I wished I had done it sooner. SuRun makes it so much easier to deal with. To me, I'm not restricted at all. It doesn't get in your way at all like I thought it would.

There is this teenie weenie percent in me that thinks "what are you goona do if something circumvents this"? Then I have to remember that I have to install it for it to run. Humans are computers worst enemie.

I'm grateful you helped me out after I installed it and tlu for posting the link for SRP. I feel much, much safer than I ever did.

Oh get this, I fired up my computer yesterday and adobe flash player was trying to install (I already have it installed) something and it had to abort cuz it wasn't able thanks to SRP. I then spotted Sandboxie was full, it didn't dump the contents like it was supposed too. That's the only thing I can relate this too.

12. Johnny123

Glad I was able to help out. Not only do you feel much safer, but you really are safer. As you mentioned, the only real hole in the armor is the human factor. If you only download and install software from trusted sources you won't have any problems.

I've never used Sandboxie, so I can't comment on that. However, do you really need it? You may decide at some point that it's superfluous, but you may want to keep it for a period of time for peace of mind. It took me a while to realize that I don't need an AV running in realtime, although I have one that I run on-demand "just to make sure".

Concerning Flash updates, if you install them on Adobe's site, you have to start the browser with admin privileges. Rather than do that, you can download the installation files directly and then install them locally, which is easier (and safer IMO). If you want, I can give you the download links.

13. Rilla927

I already have it installed. I use the offline installer. I think something that wasn't kosher was in the sandbox yet and tried to install but it couldn't.

14. Johnny123

I see, said the blind man :cool:

Now I understand what you meant. Since I have never used Sandboxie I'm not familiar with it. Sounds like one of those fake Flash update thingies. I come across those once in a while too. I just close them, they wouldn't be able to install with your setup now anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.