Spywareguard?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by WilliamP, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I have Ad-Aware, SpyBot S+D and Spyware Blaster and am wondering if I should get Spywareguard. I would appreciate any input.

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I have all the apps mentioned along with Spywareguard and wouldn't be without it. I like the Real time scanning engine, Download protection and Browser hijack protection options that it offers plus it uses little resources.

It has saved my bacon on a few occasions in the past(when i was a lot more careless). ;)

IMHO, it's all about layered protection.

snowbound

3. DanL

DanL Registered Member

I've been using Spybot S&D along with Ad-Aware SE-Plus for over a year.
    I just recently added Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard.
    They all work well together and it's another layer of added protection.

4. If your looking for as much protection you can get your hands on you may want to take a look HERE. As well there are discussions HERE and even more HERE.

Jimbob

5. gud4u

gud4u Registered Member

I tried SpywareGuard for a week or so. I found it overlooked several adware cookies that were seen by Spybot, AdAware and SpywareDoctor scans.

For real-time spyware monitoring, I like SpywareDoctor. Good program with frequent updates. It's not freeware, but I think it's worth purchasing.

Hope this helps!

6. greatstarts

greatstarts Guest

I hate to be the one to say this, but SpywareGuard is really an outdated program now. Even Javacool himself said so. He said it was really just good for it's Hijack protection and the rest of the program was too outdated to be reliable anymore. I wouldn't rely on it's protection unless you just need hijack protection. But when, or should I say if, a newer version of SpywareGuard comes out, i'm sure it would be much better.

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

errr, *scratch scratch* could ya provide a link to where Javacool "himself" said that SpywareGuard was no longer "reliable?"

Thanks in advance - Detox

8. greatstarts

greatstarts Guest

Hi Detox,

I'm not trying to start any trouble or lying here, but I can't find the link. I tried a search over at Dslreports, but I can't seem to find it. But if you want to know just ask Javacool himself. Post a question in the SpywareBlaster forum.

See the problem is that SpywareGuard is simply falling behind when it comes to finding the newer forms, and often very tricky forms, of spyware coming out now. So it's not that the program is completely useless, just that it really isn't that good anymore against newer types of spyware. It really needs an update, then I would consider it a good solid program to use again.

Also a lot of different anti-spyware programs, many free, now offer browser hijack protection. So it really isn't needed that much anymore, unless you don't have any other similar programs on your system.

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Consider what you like - despise SWG if you choose as well - but please do confirm your statement that my good man JAvacool has stated that SWG is "no longer reliable." At the same time - any information as to what spyware SWG is useless against according to your test will certainly be welcome for submission!

Please let us witness your new theory is.

10. greatstarts

greatstarts Guest

Ok, first I would just like to say that in no way am I insulting Javacool or any of his software. The man deserves an award for his efforts and kindness for sharing such great programs with everyone, and should be commended for doing so. I am not bashing SpywareGuard here, just trying to provide some info to others about how good, or not, the program currently is.

Now here's the link to what I was talking about kindly provided by Javacool himself. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12410033?#12411725

True, he doesn't come right out and state that SpywareGuard is no longer recommended, but he even says himself that the program has been extended about as much as is possible, and SG won't detect some new kinds of ad/spyware, and a new rewrite is in order.

I'm not telling anyone not to use SpywareGuard anymore, hopefully they can determine that on their own. If you want to use it go ahead, just be aware that it isn't that great at stopping the latest forms of spyware anymore, and you won't have the best possible protection against spyware. So don't fool yourself into thinking that by using SG you'll have the best protection. Although it's browser hijack protection still seems to be good. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.