SpywareGuard with 3rd party downloader

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by terrytturtle, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terrytturtle

terrytturtle Registered Member

Hi,

I've just installed Spyware Guard 2.2 and note one of its features is: "Download Protection - prevent spyware being downloaded in Internet Explorer".

I run Internet Explorer 6 but my downloads are effected via a 3rd party download manager, currently 'Mass Downloader'. Does that mean my system is not getting the download protection because of my download manager program or...?

An answer (with a small explanation) would be appreciated so I better understand the process. Thanks.

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Terryturtle...

SG blocks bad downloads in IE as in 'sneaky drive-by/etc.' dl's... those that you know nothing about and did not instigate.

Not when you actually elect to download an actual file yourself.

Those types of dl's [the ones you instigate yourself] are protected by any other apps you may have running for such things, AV, AT, etc.

Although SG does scan .exe and .cab files upon execution so you still kind of get a double crack at protection from spyware via SG and your AV/AT.

Hope I explained it clear enough as to my understanding.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

3. terrytturtle

terrytturtle Registered Member

Thanks TAS for the quick reply and explanation and for the good news you have given me. I now feel more relieved as I'm in the process of getting rid of a number of nasties found on my pc and I want to minimise any re-occurrence, hence my question. (I 've been using computers for years and know the front end of 'em okay but not so much the back end). I'm taking it that your reference to AV = anti-virus and AT = anti-trojan?

You said: "Although SG does scan .exe and .cab files upon execution so you still kind of get a double crack at protection from spyware via SG and your AV/AT". Are .cab files similar or the same as zip files? And does that mean anti-virus programs (such as my Nortons) can scan .zip files for viruses?

My now-revealed location helps me appreciate the irony of your username...you are bit far north aren't you :).

T Turtle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.