SpywareGuard Updates

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by amoeba, Mar 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scuro

scuro Registered Member

Bubba,

Are the manual updates newer than 1/22/04?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

1/22/04 are the latest updates for spywareguard;)

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Nope....they are the same 1/22/04 files whether one downloads them manually or a new user installs SpywareGuard and then performs an update.

4. A non

A non Guest

No-one really answered the question of whether this software is effectively discontinued (as the latest update of January 04 suggests) and likely to be ineffective against the latest Spyware. If so, we can all remove it from taking up memory in our system tray, and stick to Spyware Blaster ...

It's all free, so it's fair enough if you've had to let it slide. But can we have an honest answer as to whether the software is still effective with no update for nearly 2 years?

Cheers.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Perhaps you did not read the post on page 1 which sums up the effectiveness of SpywareGuard fairly well given the age of the last update. Also....if you are not a regular visitor to the Forum you probably also missed a post by Javacool commenting on this same matter.

6. A non

A non Guest

Thanks for the reply. I had read the post on page 1, but noticed that others had asked several months later if it was now ineffective, given the ever increasing gap since last update.

I hadn't read the one by Javacool though.

I guess the message is it's still worth leaving SG installed.

Thanks again

7. hOOk

hOOk Guest

I agree with post #29, that noone really answered if Spyware Guard still is effective to guard against spyware.

The answer from Bubba told to read post #1 - which in no doubt is a good explanation - but please keep in mind that the answer in post #1 is a very old answer back in march 2004! ... So that still leads to say the question is unanswered if it should have any value added to it here in late december 2005. So the question many still wants answered is if Spyware Guard this day 17 December 2005 is still effective?!

Was I to conclude anything on my own (which I think is all we are left to do) - then I would say... Spyware Guard is no longer effective in protecting your computer! Then the answer and discussions could be all in the area about heuristic or not - still... If it really can protect against spyware so looong after last update (01/22/04), then why at all make the program able to update in the first place?! It's like having a gun with no bullets ;) ;)

This is _not_ a complain - it is a free program! - But still if it should have any value (why else make a program and distribute it?!) - I think we the users are allowed to know - how exactly this program can protect us... But what do you conclude yourself (as you can see from earlier posts this is what you are left to do).

Merry Xmas

8. SwordOfSecurity

SwordOfSecurity Registered Member

Re: Having problems with SpywareGuard Updates

well i think that method should be changed, to me it doesnt seem as effective. spyware is everchanging and even the ones your software can detect will eventually be changed. spyware that isnt changed is often ones that are old and ridiculously easy to remove on almost any program. the complex, popular ones people find today are up todate and are everchanging! if you do not post updates for signatures regularly, i suggest you post updates on your heuristics because you can't keep relying on that one factor and leaving it out of date! (i find that dangerous).

even so i think you should also improve your databases because you must have a lot of spyawre signatures or something because it seems odd to not even update for so long.also, the should not just consist of a few general rules, they should also have a lot more valuable information or something to ensure proper removal and blocking. i can already tell you a LOT of new spyware has come out and my doubts on spyguard are increasing...

i'm trying not to be offensive here--this is more of a suggestion. but don't get me wrong, i like spy guard though! i just hope it will further progress to be one of the well known, very effective real-time protection for spyware because i see a lot of potential in it..anyway i've researched and observed a bit on other software's real-time protection and most of them are quite primitive and horrible..

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  9. old software

old software Guest

The post on DSLReports says it all. It's outdated and won't work on a lot of new spyware.

Seeing as how I use two other programs that have been updated in the last couple of months, SG will be removed from my system.

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I agree....in particular a portion of Javacool's post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.