SpywareGuard updates

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by shushuandjuju, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shushuandjuju

shushuandjuju Registered Member

Hello,
    I have a rather simple question. I've had this program on my computer for quite a while now. What I'm wondering about is why every SINGLE time I open the SpywareGuard Live Update to update the program I always get "No Updates Available. You have the latest SpywareGuard definitions." I'm beginning to wonder how well updated this program really is. Don't get me wrong it works great at informing when a BHO has been added and asking me what I want to do. But this is the only program on my computer that has consistently told me that no updates are available. Why is that?

Thank you

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

The latest definitons are dated 1/22/04. No joke.

iirc SpywareGuard relies more on heuristics anyways so newer definitions arent so necessary.

3. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

Does SG use anything but heuristics?

I thought the update definitions all were of the heuristics themselves, rather than the more typical AS/AV signature/trace/fingerprint/etc. definitions.

4. shushuandjuju

shushuandjuju Registered Member

Hey Guys,
    Thanks for getting back to me. I'm still improving on my PC knowledge. However the term you used "Heuristics" threw me a bit. So I looked it up in Wikipedia and saw different definitions for the same word! I chose the one related to computer science ( I hope that's the right one). It reads as follows: A heuristic is a technique designed to solve a problem that ignores whether the solution can be proven to be correct, but which usually produces a good solution or solves a simpler problem that contains or intersects with the solution of the more complex problem. Heuristics are intended to gain computational performance or conceptual simplicity, potentially at cost of accuracy or precision. Now even that, if this has any relevance to what we're talking about here sounds like rocket science!!! I hope you can translate this into simple English. As far as WSFuser's remark about the update definitions being January 22,2004, well that sounds a lot like a post I submitted about MRU Blaster where someone told me their database hadn't been updated in over 3 years!! I tell you, this makes me wonder about these programs sometimes.

Thanks again

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Well by heuristics, it means SpywareGuard detects malware by checking its behavior rather than using signatures.

In particular I know that its Browser Hijacking Protection feature prompts when browser settings are changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.