SpywareGuard Update Problem

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by jswintx, Feb 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jswintx

jswintx Registered Member

For the past two days each time I try to run SG update I get a pause in an apparent download then an error message stating that there has been a problem with the down load. The message reads:

"There was an error in getting the update information from the server. The server may be temporarily unavailable, or there may be a conflict witht the firewall installed on your PC. The update information may have been corrupted during download. Please try again soon."

Sometimes after receiving this I try again and just get a message the my current update is the latest version. I know this is NOT true since it is dated 1/22/04 and I know there has been a later update made available in the past two days.

I have checked my ZAF firewall and have SG enabled (but not as server which is most likely unnecessary). I did update the ZA the other day to version 4.5.538.001, but this made no change to access to the net for SG in the program section.

Another interesting thing is that when I check the version of SB from the taskbar which brings up the popup for SG the version shows to be 2.2. When I go to the SpywareGuard folder on my computer and check the acutal .exe file for main program and update the version shows as 2.02.001. Is there a conflict here?

Up until yesterday I have had no problem with liveupdate since I got the 1/22/04 update just fine.

Any assistance with this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jim Wright :rolleyes:

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi Jim,

First of all, I think you're confusing Guard with Blaster. For SpywareGuard, the most recent is 1/22/04, so you're fine there. As for the program version, it depends where you're looking, but that looks ok too -- if you look at Properties/Version in Explorer it shows a few more decimals than the program interface itself does.

SpywareBlaster did update its definitions a couple of days ago -- but I'm confused about your reference to its "popup" from the toolbar since it shouldn't be running at all except when you start it to do updates (or to change its setup options).

I'll leave possible firewall problems you might be encountering for others, they can give you better answers.

Best -- and welcome, before I forget,
    Mike

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I think what they mean here Mike is when u they click on the SG system tray icon and the SpywareGuard interface pops up with all the options. ;)

snowbound

4. jswintx

jswintx Registered Member

Mike and Snow,

Thanks allot and excuse my rather stupid blush from embarrassment. After I made my post I realized that I had, indeed confused SG with Spywareblaster. For some reason I have had a tendency to to this in the past as well. I get the update information from dslreports since I do it manually rather than a scheduled thing.

I am glad to clear up what appeared to be differences in the version numbers. Happy that was just confusion as well.

As to my reference to the "pop up" I meant just what Snow thought...the screen of SG that appears after I right click the icon in the task bar.

Thanks to you both for helping me clear my head. Actually I was perfectly straight and sober when I wrote that inquiry, but had somewhat of a brain fart. LOL

JW :p

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

No prob, JW, glad to help. :)

And no need to feel embarrassed -- you'll find we represent all levels of users, from the programming professionals to the ones who just got their first-ever computer this past Christmas, and just about everywhere in between. And everyone's got something to contribute, even if it's "just" problems that somehow got overlooked.

You'll see something said so many places here, and so often, that Paul W. should think seriously about adding it to his page headings, or at least the FAQ's -- The only "stupid" question is the one that doesn't get asked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.