SPYWAREGUARD released - real-time protection against spyware

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna

Donna Registered Member

This machine has a contract to be damage :D (kidding only)

Peeps here are fast in catching *bad girls*. Hat's off!

Again, thanks for the new program. Nightie-night! :)

2. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Just did the update twice. It does not seem to verify if the database is up to date and downloads again.

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

The 1/12/03 updates should be up soon (I guess the update information file was updated before the updates were put up).

EDIT: The 1/12/03 update for SpywareGuard is now up. :D

1/12/03 update:
    +Hotbar (latest variant)
    +FriendGreetings (another variant)

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. Mike_Healan

Mike_Healan Registered Member

SpywareInfo is now hosting this program as well.
    http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/downloads/swguard/

5. Mike_Healan

Hey I just noticed that I can open the control panel twice and there's two icons for it in the systray.
    Maybe you should have it check for a running instance before letting it open a 2nd one.

6. javacool

Will do ;) - one of the few minor fixes that will go into the next version.

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Okay, it just did it again.

Circumstances: The icon was showing steadily in SYSTRAY and I clicked on the arrow to make it expand out and show everything that was running. (SYSTRAY 'floats' according to what's been used recently, as you know).

As soon as I did that, the SWG icon vanished, and it's not showing as a running process anymore in TDS-3's "Process List".

I note you're saying I'm still protected - even though it's not a running process anymore? Could you explain that a little further when you have time?

Note: D/l'ed the update after observing all this, so if something in that helped, I won't notice it for awhile.

And, where is the "Always show icon"? Can that be applied specifically to the SWG icon - or will it apply to all the icons?
    Pete

8. javacool

Hmmm - this actually seems to be a conflict with Windows XP, TDS-3, and SpywareGuard - I can only reproduce this if TDS-3 is running and in the systray...

It seems as though when TDS-3 is run, the SpywareGuard Control Panel is terminated? o_O (If the Control Panel was running before TDS-3 - if TDS-3 is run before the Control Panel, there doesn't seem to be an issue.)

I'm going to take another look at this...

EDIT: Yes, it does seem as though TDS-3 is terminating the control panel when it is run...

EDIT[2]: FIX FOUND: To fix this, rename "spywareguardcp.exe" to "sgcontrolpanel.exe"... and then change the shortcuts in your Start Menu (the "StartUp" and "SpywareGuard" folders) to the new filename. I'm still not sure why this occurs.

Best regards,

-Javacool

9. snowy

snowy Guest

Not sure if this is a related problem or not....still testing.

Ever since installing SG at start-up I get >explorer has caused a kernel 32 error< > an will now close<

after closing and re-starting both SG and my file protection is not installed......am must shut down and reboot...........this has only happen since installing SG....never even once previously........

Javacool this is no big thing with me....I am just passing this on to you in case it can be useful

10. javacool

Doesn't sound like a related problem. Did this only happen once or does it happen all the time? You can run SpywareGuard without the control panel (or does this still happen if you remove the control panel from starting at start-up?).

What file protection are you using? (That sounds like it may be the issue.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

11. snowy

snowy Guest

Has happen several times....but not back to back......more like every third/fourt boot-up.

Happens with or without the try icon..

Fileprotection = thats what I am testing right now....using several differant.....but looks like its file protector by Pepki...
    very nice like program

as previously mentioned.....for me its no big deal.....however, just in case someone posts in the future with a sort problem this may be useful......by the way..is it possible that the two programs are battling for position at start-up............my os is very fast at loading...

12. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

javacool,

I was having the same problem as spy1. Thanks for the quick fix!!! :D

Regards,
    Kent

13. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi Javacool!

It looks as though you have your hands full. Usually my PC's system is ultrasensitive to any change, new programs etc. I have Win98se and I do not run TDS.

I have had no problems whatsoever with SpywareGuard! This, Ladies and Gentlemen, is a first on this machine.

Best regards from Larry ;)

14. snowy

snowy Guest

JavaCool

Just thought to advise you that I had to un-install SG...the problem became worse.....began to happen with each new start.....
    Since removing SG the problem has disappeared. So there was a conflict of some sort.
    The un-install left three registry entries....one did not want to be removed...was in use by another program....it has been removed.
    Your efforts are most appreciated. I'll have to pass on SG......yet thank you just the same.

Regards

snowy

15. Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo Guest

Hmmmm. The program doesn't seem to be enabled automatically on start-up/install. It's difficult to tell whether it's enabled or not, acutally. I assume the thin red line around "Enable..." in its control pannel means it's enabled. As a result, I ended up installing the latest version of HotBar, which took SpyBot S&D two passes to clean up. :eek:( I would think that if it's running (SG in Systray), it is reasonable to assume it's enabled. If it's not enabled, it shouldn't show up in systray, IMO, otherwise it leaves a false sense of being protected.

I'm pleased to see this program, nevertheless, and look forward to its improvement with the constructive feedback being offered by early users.

Cheers,
    Larry

16. javacool

The next version (1.1 R1) will make sure its obvious whether the protection is enabled or not. To make sure, click the "enable" button once more - then you shouldn't need to click it anymore (because the control panel checks on startup and notifies you if it is disabled). You'll need the latest definitions update, however, to catch the latest Hotbar variant. :) (Run the SG LiveUpdate utility.)

The systray icon is just the control panel - if you have protection enabled, it will still be protecting your system if you close the control panel (although it is highly recommended that you keep the control panel running unless you desperately need the memory). The next version's icon in the system tray will change to display enabled/disabled status.

Best regards,

-Javacool

P.S. Once you have latest definitions, you can try downloading and running the Hotbar exe from here: hxxp : / / installs.hotbar.com/installs/hotbar/programs/hotbar.exe (url mangled). THIS METHOD OF TESTING SPYWAREGUARD IS NOT RECOMMENDED UNLESS YOU ARE AN ADVANCED USER

17. Larry Sabo

Larry Sabo Guest

Thanks for your prompt and helpful reply, JavaCool. I'm looking forward to future versions, and appreciate all the work you have put into it.

Best regards,
    Larry

18. Mike_Healan

How about a warning that "Once deleted, the file cannot be recovered. If you aren't sure, ask for advice at the forums." (or similar)

Also, what would happen if you tried to install a program and it started to install a bundled spyware? Would it catch the spyware installation and delete the program's installer?

19. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Hi Javacool,

I had sent your link to a friend in Germany - just got an e-mail from her - she hasWin98 and as she tries to install she gets:

"unable to register the DLL/OCX Load Library failed, code 1157. Die für die Ausführung dieser Anwendung notwendigen Bibliotheksdateien kann nicht gefunden werden".

Any idea o_O

20. javacool

It sounds like something prevented the installer from correctly registering one of the included dlls - my best guess would be the MSINET.OCX file. If she could try running the setup program in Safe Mode, hopefully it will install correctly (and she won't get this error ever again). If that doesn't work, please let me know.

Best regards,

-Javacool

21. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Thanks Javacool,

I have sent her an e-mail - I'll let you know as soon as she replies back ;)

Thanks !

22. wink

wink Registered Member

Hi Javacool,

Just to let you know that I have the same problem with SpywareGuard shutting down when TDS scans, I use Win2k Pro SP3. I changed the ame of the executable and all is well now SpywareGuard stays active after I run a TDS scan.

Wink.

23. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Jc - The fix worked here as well - thanks! Pete

24. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Hi Javacool ;)

I'm back with a reply...............geez............now she gets:

"Fehlermeldungen wie z.B. MS 9SrV32 - die Anwendung wird aufgrund eines ungültigen Vorganges geschlossen. Stapelfehler in Modul... "

Any "easy" idea for her to try o_O

TIA

25. coolstation

coolstation Guest

Is there a safe way to test if spyware guard is working?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.