SPYWAREGUARD released - real-time protection against spyware

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareGuard - a new, advanced spyware prevention/protection solution: (the following is a quote from the webpage)

SpywareGuard provides a real-time protection solution against spyware that is a great addition to SpywareBlaster's protection method.

An anti-virus program scans files before you open them and prevents execution if a virus is detected - SpywareGuard does the same thing, but for spyware! And you can easily have an anti-virus program running alongside SpywareGuard.

Features Listing:
    -Fast scanning engine
    -Scans exe and cab files - the two most popular file types for distributing spyware
    -Signature-based scanning - for known spyware
    -Heuristic/generic detection capabilities - some spyware programs can be detected even if the code undergoes significant changes
    -Small size - with a small size and small definition sizes, download and updates are quick
    -SG Control Panel - provides easy access to help and integration options
    -SG LiveUpdate - provides an easy updating solution
    -Spyware files are blocked BEFORE being opened or run - they are NOT simply shut down after they are loaded in memory (and after they have performed their tasks)
    -The full path to the spyware executable is provided on the alert screen
    -Once a spyware file is detected and blocked from running, the options are provided to either continue or to delete the spyware file
    -It's a free download

Available at: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/spywareguard.html

Enjoy! :D

-Javacool

2. Metallica

Metallica Guest

I like it already. Just one question: do you have plans to merge SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster (plus maybe even BrowserHijackBlaster) into one program? Do not get me wrong. I admire all the work you are putting in for the good of all.
    My Javacool Programs folder is full of good stuff :)
    Keep it up.

3. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Javacool,

4. Donna

Donna Guest

Hello Javacool,

It's up and running here too (Hello Marianna :D )
    but... but.... it didn't alert me after doing a test.

I downloaded Hotbar.exe from www.hotbar.com then proceed in installing it. Everything is done but no alert from SG? o_O

Wonder if I downloaded and installed wrong Hotbar spyware :rolleyes: o_O

I ran SSD to check for Spywares and as expected it showed me lots of Hotbar entries :D

5. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:cool: Hi Javacool!

Got it! This is something I've wanted for a long time. If it's okay with you, I'll post this at Gladiator too. We now have over 950 members. I'm sure many will be interested. It can be side-by-side with SpywareBlaster in the forum. Thank you!

Best regards from Larry :)

6. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

You did activate spyware guard protection from Control Panel did you ?

Javacool, i admit it's hard to tell if it's been activated or not as tray icon doesn't change to show active or disabled

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I'm having a problem, too - every time I hover my cursor over the SWG icon in SYSTRAY - it kills it.

And apparently shuts down the program, since i can no longer see it running in TDS's process list.

? Pete

8. Donna

Donna Registered Member

Hello MikeyTheMan,

Yes, it is enabled. I followed the recommendation in the installation process - to go to Control Panel. From there I click enabled SG protection then it showed a notification box that it is now enabled :) then I closed SG .. it sits in the notification area :)

Will test another spyware program :)

Thank you.

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

10. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

The scarier part would be if she said the one here is real and the other one a fake :D

11. javacool

It's probably a new version not yet in the definitions. I'll download it today and add it.

EDIT: Yes, its definitely a new version of Hotbar. It'll be in the next definitions update, so you can easily test SpywareGuard. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

12. javacool

Hmm - I'll take a look at this. Don't be surprised if you find a new version in your inbox in a day or so. ;)

Best regards,

-Javacool

13. Donna

Donna Registered Member

Hallo! again,

Side-effect of the scary video I watched 2day ;)

Need to ask them to change my pix there coz the smile is too much :oops:

BTW, I have to uninstall Hotbar coz test is done with it. Will download another program with spyware (that is included in the SGs' definition) coz I want to see SG to alert me :D

bye-eee

14. javacool

If I may ask, what spyware? Each item in SpywareGuard's definitions currently covers multiple variants, but there may be newer versions that were just released (there's a backlog I'm working on).

Best regards,

-Javacool

15. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Donna,

Your Hotbar must indeed be another version. I dared to try this one since I don´t use Netscape ;)

Regards,

Pieter

Attached Files:

16. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

;) Hi Donna!

Instead of infecting your machine, wouldn't it be nice to get some nice false-positives? Do such things exist for an antispyware program?

I have to admire your faith but would you really want to give yourself the flu just to see if you'll get over it??

Best regards from Larry :)

17. Donna

Donna Registered Member

Thanks for responding Javacool. Yeah! could be new version.

:)

18. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

It may have been something I did with the one you sent me previously. Unless you get more reports of similar behavior now that the public release is out, I wouldn't pay too much heed to it.

At the re-start (after un-installing the beta release - correctly - and d/l'ing/installing the new version), I got a pop-up box asking me if I wanted to enable SWG protection (to which I answered yes). As soon as the program finished loading, I called up its' screen and also clicked on "Enable SpywareGuard Protection" - just to make doubly sure.

So far, the icon's staying put. Pete

19. javacool

Yep - a new version, but it'll be added in the next definitions update. :D

Best regards,

-Javacool

20. javacool

Ah good - yes it very well could be an issue with your previous installation of the beta (many things were changed since then). Glad it seems to be working fine for you now.

Best regards,

-Javacool

21. Donna

Donna Registered Member

I selected Hotbar coz I know it is included in 01-09-2003 definitions. Not knowing that I downloaded a new version.

I was saying that I will get another program with spyware that is included in SG definitions 01-09-03 coz I'm really eager to see how SG will work for me.

I've been wishing long time ago that NIS by Symantec will add this type of real-time protection against spywares and now that you've released one... it excites me.

I'm aware of the lists that is covered by SG today and will only get stuff that is known bundled or has them ... just to see SG alert me.

It's a good thing to do this test coz it's a way to find out if the "offending stuff" has been updated or used new strategy. Just my opinion.

Regards,
    Donna

22. javacool

Hmmm - this *may* be a small bug with Windows XP's hiding of the systray icon (for those who don't know, it does this with all icons that haven't been clicked on for a period of time). For now, could you try setting the SG icon to "Always Show" instead of "Hide when inactive" and let me know if it happens again?

I should also note, SpywareGuard's protection is still enabled even if the systray program is terminated. :D

Best regards,

-Javacool

23. Donna

Donna Registered Member

Hi there Pieter,

Yup! javacool confirmed that it's a new version. Glad to know that SG alerted you :)... I'm becoming more excited :) to see SG alerts me.

Greetz,

Donna

24. javacool

If you are willing to sacrifice your machine to make the program better, I don't know that I can complain. ;)

In all seriousness, by finding variants that it doesn't detect, it only helps to make the program stronger. Just let me know where I can find them and I'll add them. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

25. Donna

Donna Registered Member

Hello..hello Larry :D

Been and still downloading stuff from legal and illegal places to test NAV coz it's my real-time AV program. Will do the same for SG since it is running in the background too.

I maybe freak or something.. :oops: LOLz! but that's how I test programs that will run in the background as *alerters*

SSD is the only antispyware program that I have here at the moment and so far ... it hasn't detect false-postive/s in my system. Not sure on other AntiSpyware programs out there.

Regards,
    Donna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.