SpywareGuard Question

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by jervis, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jervis

jervis Registered Member

I have downloaded SpywareGuard and have two shortcuts on my desktop. When I click on the SpywareGuard shortcut nothing happens, altho' when I click on the Live Update shortcut it does check for updates. Is it a problem that nothing happens when I click on the SpywareGuard?

I've tried starting the program from the START menu and the same thing happens.

2. jervis

jervis Registered Member

It's working! I just tried to change my homepage, as someone suggested in the SpywareGuard 2.2 thread above, and SpywareGuard came on and warned me. So, I'm impressed.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The main desktop icon and the Start menu item don't open the interface into SpywareGuard. The only one thing they do is start SpywareGuard's background processes, if they are not already running.

The way you actually access and control SpywareGuard comes from the little, red SG icon in the systray. Use that to open the control window.

As for SpywareGuard in general, be aware that there has not been any updates to the spyware detection capabilities for quite a long time. SpywareGuard is pending new development by Javacool, so, the current product is of limited effectiveness. The primary benefit that it does bring is the very one you noticed - alerts to changes to the various browser default pages. That is the feature Javacool called the browser hijack blaster originally. It still provides alerts to changes being made to those, which if you have any of those happening unexpectedly, can be a sign that something more serious is happening to your system - spyware wise.

4. battlespyware

battlespyware Registered Member

I don't want to flame SG. However, my experience tells me that all good anti-spyware programs are free.

I actually just created a video tutorial on how to remove spyware for free. I used malwarebytes, spybot (although not recommended by MVPS.org), and several others.

I would recommend looking into spybot and malware as an alternative to SG.

Chaz.

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Javacool Software's SpywareGuard is free, Chaz, just like his SpywareBlaster and many other products.

I think you might be mistaking the new rogue "SpywareGuard2008" for the Javacool's product mentoned in this thread. You are in the Javacool Software forum section at Wilders Security. He was the maker of this original program back in 2002, or so.

The new rogue program just came out recently and copied the SpywareGuard name in order to try to get credibility, much like many other rogues that try to ride on the Spybot S&D name.

See this thread about the difference between Javacool's product and the new rogue:

Spywareguard2008 fraudulant program?

This is the Javacool Software website, which you'll notice is very different than any of the rogue software sites:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com

Given that no updates have been released for SpywareGuard for so long, and development of the new version is ongoing, I concur that these other tools, MBAM (Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware) and Spybot S&D, are much more effective today for modern spyware threats. SpywareGuard's remaining strength though is it's browser hijack protection module.

6. jervis

jervis Registered Member

Thanks for your replies. I've found the SG symbol in the sys tray as pointed out - and in the control box I noticed that the version was dated 2004. So not much use now, except for the browser hijack warning. How will we know when a new version is ready - will they be able to alert us through the SG program?

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

In the past, new releases have always been announced here on the Javacool subforums.

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.