spywareguard messed up my computer..

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by illukka, Dec 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

hi
    i ran spywareguard liveupdate, during the time i was disconnected, which resulted in corrupted definitions.. now i can't run any exe's, it also prevents
    trojan hunter guard, zone alarm and kav from loading at startup.. it's like a worst kind of trojan..
    everytime i click on a executable i receive the following error: error reading spywareguard definitions... then somthing about not being able to run certain protected filetypes.. and it recommends me to run liveupdate.. and remove protection of those filetypes in spywareguard control panel..
    well liveupdate doesn't run, it's an exe, spywareguard controlpanel doesn't run..i can't even connect to net coz i need an exe to do it...
    now what can i do?

format & reinstall ?

subject line changed in accordance to our TOS

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Can you take a look at this thread (especially the registry fix on the second page of this thread - last two posts)? It may be the fix you need...

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13029

If you can't run regedit.exe since it also is an EXE file, can you check to see if you can run other forms of executable files (such as *.COM files)? If you can you might be able to rename regedit.exe to regedit.com then run it and go in and delete that key.

If that doesn't do it, other alternatives might be to boot from floppy or other alternate media, and use regedit from there targeting the registry hives in use on your main system partition.

3. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

regedit runs, only the search function in it doesn't.. seem that most system exes work
    is there a way to manually update the definitions, i'm thinking of copying them from another computer..still not sure if it helps
    i'll have to wait until evening before i can attempt that reg fix.. the problem is my home computer..

any way thanks LowWaterMark

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The defs for SpywareGuard (and SpywareBlaster) are just text files that are held in the main folder the program is installed in. Here is a thread that tells you what those files are and where they are on the download server:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=14647

You ought to be able to do Save As... on each link for SpywareGuard and move those files to the SpywareGuard folder to see if that does it.

I'd try the manual update first and if that doesn't do it, then the registry fix. Although, Javacool may be back before that time and have better ideas than this. Good luck.

5. Guest 87

Guest 87 Guest

Re:spywareguard f... my computer..

Terms Of Service
    You agree, through your use of this YaBB forum, that you will not post any material which is vulgar, obscene, profane

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Hmm... you did that? Then, shouldn't the title of the thread be "I f.... my computer.."?? :rolleyes: Pete

7. illukka

illukka Spyware Fighter

you see Pete i'm on a wireless connection,gprs modem.. the weather was very bad yesterday evening.. snowstorm etc. which might be the reason of disconnection..

edit: the registry trick did the job:)

all is well and spywareguard is now reinstalled..thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.