SpywareGuard kicks in with error message when I want to start NortonAV or reins

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by lioor, Feb 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lioor

lioor Registered Member

Spyware Guard always kicks in with error message!!! It does not let me open Mozilla, Norton AV, or even ADD and Remove programs. I cannot reinstal Windows XP because it starts with "SG files have been tampered with" and it advices me to disable SG. This is exacly what is impossible to do because the same message appears and does not let me access SG controlls or any program which would destroy/remove/modify/disable/ SG.

SG disabled my PC. After SG message appears I click OK and an error message that something could not "read" or "write" to memory appears and then I am thrown at desktop re-loading and I can start the vitious circle again.

The problem started when I run update but because of the pathetic connection speed of 335b/sec at local broadband LAN at LMU dorm my connection "timed out" and the update did not finish. Since then I have error messages all over that I/something tampered whith SG update and I should disable it but there is no way I couldn master the task. o_O o_O

Can anybody help me to KILL SG so that I could use my PC againo_O
    To disable it from loadingo_O

I cannot even read MS XP help file because "SpywareGuard has been changed or tappered with" appears in responce to my calling help in XP.

SG completely disabled my PC and I am done. :oops:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re:SpywareGuard kicks in with error message when I want to start NortonAV or rei

Hi lioor,

Take a look at this thread and see if it fully describes your situation.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=13029

In the last two posts on page 2 of that thread is a possible solution. Javacool explains that SpywareGuard is activated in this situation by a hook that needs to be disabled and says what registry key needs to be deleted. The last post shows how to make a .REG file to remove just that hook automatically. (In fact, there is a download link for that file so you don't need to create it yourself.)

If you download & execute that REG file on your system and then reboot, SG will be disabled. Then you may be able to right-click the SG icon in systray and totally disable and 'Exit' SpywareGuard completely as shown in this image:

[​IMG]

After rebooting, if SG is disabled but you still can't get into the application, you can kill off the two SpywareGuard process in the Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del). They are: "sgmain" and "sgbhp". Then uninstall SpywareGuard.

You actually should be able to reinstall it after this and have it work cleanly, assuming you don't hit another problem downloading updates.

3. lioor

lioor Registered Member

Re:SpywareGuard kicks in with error message when I want to start NortonAV or rei

Yeh! That was it.

Thank you so much! sg-remove-hook.reg direct file link was fantastic and worked immediately. Then I just followed your instructions and now I am without problems :)!

Thank you!

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Great! Glad to hear you got it fixed. :)

*puppy*

5. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Seen that pup somewhere before!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.