SpywareGuard Issue?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Suzuko, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suzuko

Suzuko Registered Member

Last week, on the advice of a friend, I installed SpywareGuard and let it quarantine all traces of PalTalk. Later, I chose to Restore PalTalk. I've been using PalTalk for years on a Windows 2000 machine, without any problems.

Now, PalTalk starts and logs me in, but that's as far as I can go. Upon clicking the Groups icon, the following message pops up: "Paltalk.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

Now I realize this isn't a support forum for PalTalk issues, but I can't get to the PalTalk Help group to straighten it out, because I can't even look at the PalTalk Groups list.

I tried reinstalling PalTalk, but nothing changed, so I uninstalled it, restarted the computer, and then downloaded and installed the newest version. And the same error message still happens.

Is SpywareGuard causing this? If so, is there a solution - short of uninstalling SpywareGuard - that will enable me to use PalTalk again?

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Suzuko,

I think you are confusing programs here.
    SpywareGuard is a real time protection against spyware, not a on demand scanner, neither does it give you the option to quarantaine something.

Regards,

Pieter

3. Suzuko

Suzuko Registered Member

Of course! Now I am thoroughly embarrassed. I meant to say "SpySweeper".... I am not even in the proper forum!

4. Pieter_Arntz

Correct forum now. ;)

The items that SpySweeper quarantained can be restored, right?
    Have you tried that?

Regards,

Pieter

5. Suzuko

Suzuko Registered Member

Thanks!

As I mentioned in the original post, I did "restore" PalTalk. SpySweeper allows that. It was after restoring it that the trouble began.

I got confused because I didn't try to use PalTalk after this until I had installed SpywareGuard. That's why I asked if it could be SpywareGuard causing the trouble. It's supposed to keep Spyware from running, isn't it?

It's even more confusing to me now because of SpywareBlaster, because I don't know how that is different from SpywareGuard.

6. Pieter_Arntz

Both SpywareGuard and SpywareBlaster do not block PalTalk as far as I know.

Both can be tested easily, but I will need to know what you are using.

This is SpywareGuard: http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html which show up as SG in your systray if it is running.

SpywareBlaster is described here: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html and does not need to be running to protect you. It looks like this:
    [​IMG]

That shows how to remove the protection completely if you want to test that.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.