SpywareGuard - Forgot Password!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by David51485, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David51485

David51485 Registered Member

Hi,
    I am having a problem with SpywareGuard. I set a password on it about six months ago and have since lost that password. I have been using the LiveUpdate found in C:\Program Files\Spyware Guard so I have been staying current.

I figured I would uninstall and try to undo the password that way but everytime the uninstaller asks me to close out SG in the sys tray, however I cannot do that without the password.

What should I do?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi David,

The password feature in SpywareGuard is not actually meant to be unbreakable if a person has local administrator access rights on a PC. The password is stored in the registry under the SpywareGuard software settings key, and if you have access to regedit it can be removed from there.

For people who'd rather not go into regedit and manually delete keys, they can use this registry file (right-click on that link and Save As... to your system) to remove just the password from the registry. (When you save a registry file on your system, you should be able to double-click on it to execute it. This particular file deletes just the SG password.)

The real purpose of this type of password is to protect SpywareGuard from those people who do not have admin access on a system. SpywareGuard is not meant to be completely un-killable, just protected from casual users turning it off.

3. David51485

David51485 Registered Member

Thank you very much! That reg file fixed the problem, and I very appreciative!

:D :D :D

And thumbs up for the SpywareGuard! What a program!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.