SpywareGuard Download Protection Being turned OFF

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by UncleDoug, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleDoug

UncleDoug Registered Member

I use the download manager called FreshDownload. The main reason I chose it was because it integrated my anti virus program to automatically scan all downloads before I can open it. Three other download managers I tried did not allow for this anti virus integration.

But I have just discovered that either when I installed the update or do a download, the check mark by Download Protection is now missing.

Thanks
    UncleDoug

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Setting aside for the moment that I'm not sure how Freshdownload would cause Download Protection to be un-checked....can you disable Freshdownload from running and then re-visit resetting Download Protection.

What happens when you place a check next to Download Protection....Save Settings....close SG down....then re-open SG. Is the check mark still there ?

3. Daniel2

Daniel2 Guest

Hi,

I got the same problem with Stardownloader and SG.

4. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64 Registered Member

To UncleDoug and Bubba, I also use Fresh Download and have activated the av scanning option of FD. Therefore I believe deactivating download protection is correct because having 2 different programs actively monitering the file being dl'd may-I repeat may- cause conflicts.

5. Daniel2

Daniel2 Guest

Hi,

Maybe its because one disables the IE downloader when using StarDownloader or FreshDownloader, while SG is working only with the IE dowloader. Is that true ?

6. UncleDoug

Found a conflict with SpywareGuard and Freshdownload

Found a conflict with Spyware Guard and Freshdownload the download manager I use.
    The reason I use Freshdownload is I can incorporate my anti virus program to scan automatically after downloads and before opening the file.

The problem I have is that when I select a file to be downloaded. Freshdownload asks if I want it to be my primary download program. I select yes. It then says it will occur on the next reboot.

When I reboot I find that one of the protections for SpywareGuard is now "OFF"
    That protection is Download Protection.
    Which I turn on manually each time.
    This time I visited the AnalogX site and selected 3 mp3 songs to listen to, but this occurs after downloading any file with Freshdownload and after the next reboot.

I prefer NOT to have everything starting up when Windows starts up so I use StartUp Control Panel and StartUp Monitor to allow only those programs like SpywareGuard that I want to run at startup. And turn off programs like Freshdownload, Quicktime, all messenger programs, etc.

Most anti spyware programs pass Freshdownload with no problems but there are two that create false positives.

Thank you for any suggestions.
    UncleDoug

7. UncleDoug

Bubba you asked,

Yes the check mark stays there until I select make Freshdownload my primary download manager, It is gone after the next reboot.

blkwin64, I agree with you when you said

But when Daniel2 said

Not all websites will accept a download manager that uses multiple connections for faster downloads. I have been to 2 this week that "only" the IE download manager pops up.

And unless I remember to turn SpywareGuard Download Protection back on there is NO download protection. Only my anti virus protection IF something nasty should occur from the file. I would prefer to scan ALL downloads before anything could happen.

IF SpywareGuard could be passive and during a download look to see if an anti virus program is called, if so it would remain passive, but if it detects no anti virus program being called then it becomes active. But how to keep the check mark from being changed. It is incovenient but could password protecting any changes before they can be made help?

UncleDoug

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hello UncleDoug,

You'll notice I have merged your thread from yesterday into your ongoing thread concerning this same matter. This is done to keep all discussion concerning the same subject in one thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.