Spywareguard 80 percent CPU usage?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by driver, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello:

First I want to say I believe in Spywareguard and SpywareBlaster. However for over a year now I have been trying to find out why my CPU usage he is so high. I use PC pit stop to test my system and I've always suspected it was my antivirus or firewall. I have Windows XP home edition and recently I've gone to the extent of disabling all services I don't need with very little change in CPU usage.

Recently I began to suspect Spywareguard live update(as it also runs in the background) so I tested my system again then from all programs on the start menu I deleted spywareguard live update. My CPU usage went from almost 90 percent to 6 percent. When I went to restart though and retested my CPU usage went back up to around 90 percent. I found that live update was again installed. I then uninstalled spywareguard and my CPU usage went back down to 6 percent. My friend has Windows 98 and I just talk him to s using spywareguard and it turned out that was causing that same problem on his computer.

The problem is definitely in the live update feature .Is there any resolution for this?

Thanks for your time

2. what?

what? Guest

Perhaps you should consider turning off live update. And getting manual updates from now on.

3. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello:

Thanks for your response. Yes but how do you do it there is no instructions! I really could use some help here!

Thanks for your time

4. hogwild

hogwild Guest

I didn't realize SpywareGuard had an automatic live update feature. You may be mistaken. There's Only a manual update feature on my version 2.2. Are you talking about Spyware Blaster?

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I can't believe it's SBlaster either, since that isn't even an active process except when updating. I don't have the Auto-Update myself, but I rather doubt that it's that heavy on resources even when actually checking for updates, let alone the rest of the time.

6. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello:

Thank you for your responses. Spywareguard does not have an auto update feature . It has a feature called live update . You click on live up date when you want to check for updates in spywareguard. Anyone who uses spywareguard would know this. My problem is and I hope I'm in the minority here both spywareguard and spywareguard live update run in the background and spywareguard live up date drives my CPU load up to 90 percent.

As I explained above I know this because uninstalling the program drops my CPU load down to 6 percent. I need help from someone familiar with spywareguard. How you can use spywareguard and not know about the live
    update feature is beyond me.

I need help not finger-pointing or shots in the dark as analysis. Anyway if I'm offended anybody I apologize.

How can I get a hold of someone who can actually address this issue for me.

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

8. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello:

Thank you very much for that I did not know I can do that.Message has been sent.

Your help is much appreciated

Thanks for your time

9. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi and sorry for the late reply. (It's a very busy time of year around here. :))

SpywareGuard LiveUpdate certainly shouldn't be running all the time. In the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL), under the Processes tab, is it only the sgliveupdate.exe that appears to be using the CPU? Or are there other sg*.exe tasks (maybe sgmain.exe or sgbhp.exe?) that appear to be using up significant CPU also? (If you can't see the CPU usage information, click on View>Select Columns, and make sure "CPU Usage" is checked.)

Have you also checked to see whether SpywareGuard LiveUpdate is in your Start Up folder, or starting somehow from the registry?

And another question: When trying to run SpywareGuard LiveUpdate manually, does it exhibit normal behavior? Or does it appear to freeze?

(I'm really at a loss to explain why the LiveUpdate part of the program appears to be running constantly, but hopefully we can track down why and stop it. :) )

Thanks in advance,

-Javacool

10. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello:

First I want to say thanks for your quick response. Second I want to say since I have not yet paid for your service I do feel a little uncomfortable putting this on you.

Having said that at present I have spywareguard uninstalled. The reason I believe it's live update is because I deleted the shortcut from all programs from the start menu for live update and retested my computer and found that my CPU usage drop to six percent. However after retesting live update was again running in the background my CPU usage went up to 90 percent. So I uninstalled the whole program my CPU usage dropped back down to six percent.

I can answer your other questions. Both live update and spywareguard run as separate programs in the background. In the startup menu from MS config there's only one entry for spywareguard. When I do click the live update button the program runs very quickly and then ends.

I would like to reinstall spywareguard and I have XP home edition. I also have antivirus protection, a firewall, and Spybot as well as SpywareBlaster. Perhaps you could give me a better or the correct way to install Spywareguard? If the problem reoccurs I could then to give the data you need as far as what's running in task manager. At present all that's running at startup are my antivirus and firewall.

My skill level is pretty low but I can follow instructions.

Thanks very much for your time

PS I believe live update is the problem and has been as long as I had spywareguard (which has been about a year and a half).

11. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello:

I have Windows XP home edition. Recently I've been trying to find out why my CPU usage is so high. I used PC pit stop site to do my tests. Over time I tried many things but to little result. Then I found that Spywareguard seemed to be the culprit. Uninstalled it and my CPU usage dropped down to six percent from around 90 percent. All was well but then I had to upgrade my firewall antivirus protection. The problem reappeared with CPU usage.

I am in contact with Spywareguard and CA associates but then I got bright and removed the antivirus icon from the taskbar. Spywareguard is still uninstalled. Then I retested and my CPU usage dropped down to 6 percent. So it appears the CPU usage problem has to do with items being in the taskbar. My skill level is very low but I have made no changes other than what I've already mentioned. Any ideas why items in the taskbar would drive up my CPU usage. My antivirus protection is working fine but I would like to resolve this problem with taskbar items if possible.

Both the above programs are installed from being downloaded and the problem is not with all items in the taskbar as my firewall icon is in there and makes no difference while when Dragon NaturallySpeaking is in there CPU usage does go up to about 70 percent.

If there is a resolution I'm hoping it's something simple but any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks for your time

12. wieczor8

wieczor8 Guest

Mine is also running at 98% for about 5 or 6 min after start up.
    the file winsfcm.exe is at fault.

Gerald

13. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello:

Thanks for your response. My problem with CPU usage seems to last throughout any session however do you have any more data on how the problem you stated can be resolved?

Thanks for your time

14. driver

driver Registered Member

Hello:

I want to take this timeout to say that I highly recommend Spywareguard and that the author is actually looking into the problem (at present I'm suspecting it's really my sloppy download install habits). Unfortunately some people on other sites have decided not to use Spywareguard because they have found that they were having the same problem.

This is the solution that worked for me.I have Windows XP home edition. Uninstall the program and remove all instances of it. Download the program (if you have XP I recommend you use the "partial uninstall". When you install untick the box for the shortcut to live update (actually since the program runs in the system tray you don't need either of the shortcuts) finish the install and restart your computer. I would advise anybody who has the program to check out their CPU usage when they're on the net. If you do have the problem resolution is very simple and the program is well worth it.

Thanks for your time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.