SpywareGuard 2.2 released!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Aug 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: No definition updates?

Hi Mike,
    Thanks for the info.

2. Copenhagen

Copenhagen Registered Member

I am now not so sure that SpywareGuard is the real culprit.

I have experianced the same problem again, but with much less frequency. This means that SpywareGuard might have been involved but is not the source of the problem.

Logitech have no information regarding XP SP2 problems on their website but they do have information about Windows Server 2003 compatibility

They write that the iTouch, KeyCommander, and SetPoint softwares are not supported in the Windows Server 2003 operating system. They write "Do NOT install any versions of Logitech keyboard software into Windows Server 2003.
    Installing Logitech keyboard software may crash your Windows Server 2003, forcing you to reinstall Windows Server 2003." They say that "With correct installation, all Logitech® keyboard hardware will function with Windows
    Server 2003 as a standard 104 key keyboard."

My guess that this is the same issue. The XP SP2 creates the same environment in XP that is in the Windows Server 2003.

I have also read in various forums that the Itouch software version 2.21 is very bad and that the current version 2.22 isn't much better. I tried using the recommened older Version 2.20 but that didn't help. So I think that the problem is the same as in Windows Server 2003.

I am now not using the Itouch software and running the keyboard as a Standard 101/102-tastatur eller Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard. I will see how this goes for a few days and then I will dare to see if SpywareGuard 2.2 can be used.

3. Copenhagen

Copenhagen Registered Member

I am now convinced that SpywareGuard 2.2 was not the problem. It was merely a symptom of the problem. The culprit is the Logitech sosftware which is not compatible with XP Service Pack 2. I phoned Logitech and they say that there was no problem with Release Candidate 2, but that the problems came with the full release. They told me that they STRONGLY recommend NOT installing Service Pack 2. However, this advice, which I was given verbally, is not to be found anywhere on their website.

Yesterday they had "no know compatibility issues with XP service pack 2" on their website for all product types, yet today all those notices are gone and they muct be feverishly evaluating the problems being reported.

I have discovered that if I remove (in safe mode) both the logitech keyboard and logitech mouse software and let the system use native Windows drivers it does now work...at least right now.

4. niksimms

niksimms Registered Member

I've been testing a lot of adware/spyware software to see which one performs the best and if they are any better than removing it manually. The only probel with manual removal is that you could render your computer more useless than before.

Best thing is to use a scanner, yes they do different things to combat the problem and I 've found Virus type backdoor adware/spyware to be a big problem.

Be very careful at doing a manual removal!!

Regards
    Nik

link removed due to it leading to a program that is on the the rogue spyware list==bigc here

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2004
  5. Gero

Gero Guest

Have the saem problem. Could not solve it so far. Would you pls. tell me what it was in your case?

Thanks
    Gero

6. Sam2004

Sam2004 Registered Member

Re: SpywareGuard causes mouse-over tooltip function to stop working

After installing SpywareGuard 2.2 on my W2K system, the mouse-over tooltip function stopped working. When I disable the program the tooltip function started to work again. Is there a fix for this problem.

7. beckner

beckner Guest

Is SpywareGuard still supported? I check for updates regularly, but there hasn't been one for months. My definitions date is 1/22/04. I am thinking of
    dumping it if it is not being kept updated.

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Sure is.

Here's a link that explains why,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=51719

Hope this helps.

snowbound

9. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

11. Lonnie

Lonnie Registered Member

Re: SpywareGuard 2.2 released! REQUEST FOR HELP

Any update on this problem with apoint.exe? I am having pretty much the same problem but with me and my system after installing spywareblaster, my system freezes except for the ability to restart from ctrl-alt-del function. I know this program apoint.exe is related to my alps touchpad, but how is it related to spyware and why the heck don't it work on my toshiba tablet?

Thanks for your time.

12. Re: SpywareGuard 2.2 released! Great, but can it be re-leashed ...?

Hi!
    I am happy with your freeware and find your efforts estimable.
    But PLEASE!!!!!!!
    It's fine thatSpywareGuard runs unobtrusively in the background, but it's not so great when I just cannot communicate with it.
    It reacts neither to double/right clicks on Shortcuts, in Start menu or any other place, nor to direct promts for or at the exe prg. I cannot uninstall it to reinstall a more feliticous download, as that is blocked by ... wait for it ... the fact that SG is running and must be turned off. "Just click the icon in the Start menu" ...
    Yeah, right! Talk of a Catch-22 ...
    ANY help would be much appreciated.
    Take care!
    Rgs,
    Claus
    - uslyokasnutcracker

13. snowbound

Re: SpywareGuard 2.2 released! Great, but can it be re-leashed ...?

Hi uslyokasnutcracker. :)

Welcome to Wilders.

If i understand u right, u are trying to get to the options in Spywareguard?

If so, just double click on the SG in the taskbar and that opens up Spywareguard's interface with all the options.

The 2 shortcuts on your desktop are for updates and if for some reason u exit the program, will start it up again.

Hope this helps.

snowbound

14. Re: SpywareGuard 2.2 released! Great, but can it be re-leashed ...?

Hi Snowbound :)

Sorry, but unless you by "taskbar" mean something else than the Windows start menu - to which I am referred by the Uninstalling programme - I have tried that without success.

Thanks anyway, though.
    Take care!

Rgs,
    uslyokasnutcracker

15. Re: SpywareGuard 2.2 released! Great, but can it be re-leashed ...?

*sigh*
    bottom right corner, the SG
    click on it.
    note: under windows xp this may be automaticly hidden (just RTFM)

16. Re: Sign, too! SpywareGuard 2.2 released! Great, but can it be re-leashed ...?

Sorry, anonymous coward,
    I have tried everything on the right on bottom bar:
    Right and left clicks > Quick Task start, hidden objects out, don't hide inactive icons, etc.
    I click just beside the clock and nothing happens. You are right, though: XP does hide a lot and SP2 is an unmitigated disaster!
    I can get all kinds of things out, including Adaware, Nero, Quicktime, C-Media Mixer, NAV, InCD. WMP, RP, NMP, Spybot, etc.
    However, I know that SG is down there, because I CAN initiate LiveUpdate, both from my desk top shortcut and from the programmes file.
    I love new tech but man, I tell you, sometimes I wish it had never been invented ... ;)
    Thank you anyway, too.
    Should I download SG again and how, if I cannot get permission to unistall it?
    Or should I uninstall SP2 ...?
    Or go to Firefox!? ;)

17. BTW: management software etc?

By the way: Does anyone know where to get good software for PC management and maintenance as well as full-scale security at a reasonable cost /perhaps freeware?
    I hope this q is allowed here.
    Rgs,
    uslyok

18. snowbound

Re: Sign, too! SpywareGuard 2.2 released! Great, but can it be re-leashed ...?

Take a look here,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=18537

for a very good explanation on this problem.

Better to choose another subforum say, Software and Services or Other Security Issues, since this is the SpywareBlaster and other forum. ;)

snowbound

19. GruffyBear

GruffyBear Guest

I've read the posts, and although you do not specifically what the latest update is, I assume that it is still 1/22/04. Could you confirm this as of today. Nov.24,2004.

When I try to get updates for other programs, such as Ad-aware or Spybot, my firewall tells me that the program is trying to connect to the update website. - Yours does not.

Are we sure that the update program is actually trying to connect?

20. snowbound

Hi GruffyBear. :)

Welcome to Wilders.

Confirmed. ;)

1/22/04 is the latest.

It's posted up above, but if u missed it, here's why it is seldom updated,

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=51719

hmm.. which firewall are u using?

I use ZA and it alerts me when i attempt to update Spywareguard.

snowbound

21. ashleywong

ashleywong Registered Member

SpywareGuard Giving Me Problem

Hi

I've downloaded and installed Spywareguard 2.2. When i restart my computer, i received this message immediately after my OS has booted the computer :

"The instruction at "0x734305be" referenced memory at "0x734305be". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program. Click on Cancel to debug the program."

I then tried to uninstall the program but was informed that there is an instance of spywareguard running and uninstall process couldn't proceed.

After I followed the instruction to "turned off" Spywareguard, I still receive the message about program still running although there's no SG icon at the taskbard.

Did i do something wrong? I get the "memory" error message each time i start my pc and it's getting to be annoying.

Now that spywareguard is not functioning properly, will it affect my OS in any way? Will it comprimise my other security measures? i've kerio personal firewall running, spyblaster is running too and i've norton antivirus on too as a good measure.

Can someone please help me out here? My OS is Win XP SP2 and i opted for a full setup during installation.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

thanks and regards
    ashley wong

22. snowbound

23. Re: Sign, too! SpywareGuard 2.2 released! Great, but can it be re-leashed ...?

Have just come back to say thanks, Snowbound!

The thread with the test about when SG is displayed and how to check it'r running by changing your default page in IE worked fine!
    However, when I tried it on Firefox (default page, not default browser) nothing happened. Is that because Firefox is not SG-protected, because Firefox is regarded as safer than IE, or simply because it's not default browser at the moment ...?

O, do you really think so ...? ;)

Rgs,
    uslyokasnutcracker

24. ashleywong

ashleywong Registered Member

Thanks, I managed to uninstall the program but i still kept getting this weird error message about "referenced memory" each time i switch on my pc so i finally uninstall it.

thanks for the help

ashley

25. vancep

vancep Registered Member

I downloaded SpywareGuard 2.2 as suggested by many, but when I click on the icon(desktop) I get this error-

Run-time error 2147221231 (8004011
    Automation Error Class Factory could supply requested class

what do I do??

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.