SpywareGuard 2.2 released!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Aug 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareGuard v2.2 has been released.

SpywareGuard is compatible with: Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP

http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html

> -------------REVISION LOG------------------
    > New in SpywareGuard v2.2

> -Scanning engine improved to detect the latest spyware
    > -Memory usage greatly reduced
    > -Handle leak relating to the Browser Hijacking Protection component fixed
    > -Browser Hijacking Protection problems fixed
    > -Internal improvements and optimizations
    > -Compatibility issues with Japanese/Chinese versions of Windows resolved
    > -Conflicts with auto-shutdown UPS devices fixed
    > -Tons of other bugs fixed, and compatibility issues resolved
    > -Browser Hijacking Protection alerts changed to be clearer, easier to
    > understand
    > -Other minor cosmetic changes
    > -The uninstaller will now warn if a user tries to uninstall SpywareGuard
    > before shutting down SpywareGuard's protection.
    > -And many other fixes and improvements!

NEW USERS: Please download and run the SpywareGuard 2.2 Full Setup. If you have Windows XP, however, you can use the Minimal setup mentioned in the information below.

UPGRADING INSTRUCTIONS: Users upgrading from a previous version of SpywareGuard, or users with Windows XP, may use the SpywareGuard 2.2 Minimal Setup.

If you have installed a previous version of SpywareGuard 2.x, simply shut down the main interface (double-click the red "SG" icon in the system tray and File>Exit) and then run the SpywareGuard 2.2 installer (you shouldn't have to uninstall SpywareGuard 2.1 for the install to work). You may be asked to reboot your computer.

If you have SpywareGuard 1.1 installed, please follow the instructions posted in the thread about SpywareGuard 2.0: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=9315

------------------

If you receive a run-time error 429 when trying to run SpywareGuard 2.2, your system is missing a required library. Please follow the instructions in this thread: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12089

------------------

Overall, I believe you'll find this update is a great improvement! Memory usage is down, and tons of bugs and conflicts have been fixed. (Thanks go to everyone who submitted bug reports.) If you do still have a problem, please let me know.

Best regards,

-Javacool

P.S. The updates server is currently unavailable, but that should be fixed by tomorrow. Until then you will experience problems running SG LiveUpdate.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2004
  2. Khaine

Khaine Registered Member

Thanks Javacool, keep up the great work :)

3. Donna

Donna Registered Member

I uninstalled the old version then installed the full setup files. Installation successful. 3 components are protected :) - Thanks!

Test if LiveUpdate will work. I received this:

Attached Files:

4. Gaz

Gaz Guest

Thanks.

Your software is great, so keep killing the spyware makers!

5. museheart

museheart Registered Member

Thank you so much for all you do.

You are linked on my Fighting Back Page (which should be on here).

Peace,

Margaret

6. CHERNY

CHERNY Guest

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUCCESSFUL EFFORTS TO ACHIEVE A RELIABLE AND SAFER NET ;) :)

7. jargonize

jargonize Registered Member

have a question about spywareguard 2.2 with my old spywareguard i could get rid of the icon in the task bar and still have the protection. with 2.2 it says the protection will be stopped if i exit out and remove the icon from the taskbar. is there a way to get rid of the icon and keep the protection?

thanks jar :doubt:

8. Abbey_I

Abbey_I Registered Member

Thank you so much for all your work and very valuble free software! ;) However, I'm not so sure if SpywareGuard works properly on my system. I base my concern on the fact that the Detection Log has been empty ever since. I never get any warnings of any sort. I use Win98 SE.

P.S.
    You have never answered my question about an alternative way to make a donation! Thanks again :D

9. beck1829

beck1829 Registered Member

Abbey_I

If you want to ensure that SG is working, just try and change your homepage (tools/internet options/general/homepage )

You will get an immediate 'warning' - and know it is working as designed

10. abbey

abbey Guest

Thanks beck1829!

It worked!!

aBBey

11. ryu

ryu Guest

Thanks Javacool!

Yes !,all be OK on Japanese version of Windows !
    Javacool. much appreciated your work.

best regards,

ryu (from Japan)

12. Mario

Mario Guest

Hi, i got spywares problems on my computer and i'm just wondering if i should install both Spywareguard 2.2 and Spywareblaster v2.6.1 ?

Won't they both interfere with each other or is one more recommended than the other ?

Thanks for the help!

Mario

13. claire

claire Guest

Hi Mario,

Install both for a complete protection :)

14. Mario

Mario Guest

Hi, thanks for the help.

The virus i got to get rid of is named "Adware-CWS"

2 files seems to come up when i try to erase it

C:\windows\winlogon.exe
    and this one, C:\windows\system.css

My IE browser keep messing up the way it looks because of that file.

Mario

15. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Mario,

Please download, unzip and run CWShredder written by Merijn (creator of HijackThis)

It was designed especially to remove this pest.

Regards,

Pieter

16. mapqua

mapqua Registered Member

I'm a new spywareguard user and have just downloaded and installed the full version of 2.2. I'm having 2 problems, one just a bug and the other more irritating. The first is that using the liveupdate button from the spwareguard panel results in a "runtime error 5 invalid procedure call", though the liveupdate run separately from the start menu works fine. The second is that although I've already had some events, the log is empty.

The third problem is that the view help file button does nothing, but I imagine that's because the effort needed to produce this great utility leaves little time for writing a manual - just added it in case there should be one and it's somehow missing from my installation.

Thanks a lot for your hard work.

17. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

That's rather odd (especially the help file problem and the run-time error when trying to run LiveUpdate through the main interface). There definitely should be a help file. It sounds like something isn't quite right with your installation.

May I ask what version of Windows you are running? Thanks in advance. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

18. mapqua

mapqua Registered Member

Sorry, not sure what happened to my first reply.

I have Win 2k SP4. A reinstall didn't work, so I downloaded again, and this time I've no problems after the reinstall (though haven't had any events to know if the logging's working OK). The files were the same size and according to my comparison programme, the same, so maybe I was just unlucky - twice!

Thanks

19. New Raider

New Raider Registered Member

20. monica_555

monica_555 Registered Member

I HAVE DOWNLOADED SPYWARE BLASTER . CAN I ALSO DOWNLOAD THE ANOTHER PRODUCT SPYWARE GUARD OVER IT

21. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Yes you can use both products at the sametime...

22. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi monica_555,

It is even recommended to use them both for optimal spyware protection.

Regards,

Pieter

23. Stereo_Type

Stereo_Type Registered Member

I am new to this forum and to SpywareGuard. I never thought I would find this program helpful myself, but I have to admit, it's saved me a couple of times. My wife on the other hand, it has saved, countless times.

My question is, how come other spyware detection tools, like Spywareblaster and many more, update frequently, but SpywareGuard hardly ever updates?

24. YKY

YKY Guest

Hi,

Is there any other site where i can download this program, cuz i've tried all three sites, and they are not working. o_O

Many Thanks

YKY

25. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Stereo_Type,

The reason for less frequent updates with SpywareGuard is that it doesn't need to update as frequently. Much of its detection abilities are heuristics in nature. They work for many of the newer versions of spyware installers even without adding "signatures" for them. An update is made when there are new items coming out that are not detected that way.

SpywareBlaster's protections are all specific - target for target with no heuristics. It must be updated to stay on top of any new spyware items.

Hi YKY,

Have you check the majorgeeks mirror (BTN) as described in reply #7 here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=18096;start=msg112381#msg112381

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.