SpywareGuard 2.2 operational issues

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Nigel Thomson, Dec 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nigel Thomson

Nigel Thomson Registered Member

Hi

I have just downloaded SWG 2.2 and have noticed a couple things.

1. Sometimes when after startup the SWG icon does not appear in the system tray(?) (sorry, i'm not sre of the technical term for the bar that runs along the bottom of the Windows XP screen). Is SWG still operating regardless?

2. While the shortcuts on my Desktop for the Live Update work, the shortcut to open SWG does not. Any thoughts on this?

3. Is there a test website around that can probe the effectiveness of spyware protection?

Thanks, in advance.

Nigel

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You'll need to look in the XP task manager (ctrl alt del) to see if the two SpywareGuard processes ("sgmain" & "sgbhp") are listed there to be sure. In XP, icons can be suppressed from the systray based upon system configurations. If the processes are listed there, but the SG is not visible then it is running. If the processes are not there, than it is not running. Let us know which it is when it happens again and we can go forward from there.

The main desktop icon does not actually open the SpywareGuard management window when you double-click it. It only starts the SG processes if they are not yet running. The only way to open the SG mgmt window is to right-click on the systray icon, which of course could be a problem if the icon is not visible (ie. your question #1 above).

We've never provided a test site for this because that would actually be linking people to real spyware which is something we wouldn't do here. The only test that we generally mention to people is the test of the browser home page hijack protection. If you have that feature enabled (which is the default), if you open Internet Explorer and attempt to change your home page manually, (via: IE > Tools menu > Internet Options... > General tab > Home Page section) you should get alerted by SG right when you hit Apply or OK after making a change. This basically shows that SG is actively running and working.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2004
  4. Nigel Thomson

Many thanks again, LowWaterMark.

1. The Task Manager indicates that both sgmain.exe and sgbhp.exe are running in the background.

2. Ok. This isn't much of a problem because SWG is running in any event. I suppose, however, that if i need to change the settings i will need to restart in accordance with the procedure set out in the link (in your second post).

3. I tested SWG by attempting to change the home page setting and it prompted me accordingly! Excellent.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards. Nigel

5. Nigel Thomson

Incidentally, the procedure mentioned in the link to your second post (ie "End Process" in Windows Task Manager) worked too. The SG Icon was retestored to the system tray upon clicking the Desktop shortcut.

Thanks. Nigel

6. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

XP has the annoying bug of sometimes not putting all the icons in the system tray on boot up. it's not confined to Spyware Guard, it happens with many icons. A reboot normally cures this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.