SpywareGuard 2.1 has been released

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reverend Ike

Reverend Ike Registered Member

And here is a pic of my SpywareGuard Temp files after the reboot. If I "clean" my Temp folder, the first two files (3KB each) will be deleted ...

Attached Files:

2. vukodlak75

vukodlak75 Registered Member

That is exactly what I was trying to explain. It adds up after a while.

3. Amerk_5

Amerk_5 Registered Member

I noticed them on my computer awhile ago too but I never bothered to figure out what was creating them because I've got a batch file that I can run at startup & clean my temp folder.

The thing I like about this batch file is you can choose to run it or not run it. This way, when you install a program that aks you to reboot you're not deleting files that were needed to complete the installation.

Just open your autoexec.bat with a text editor & add the following code.
    Code:
    @echo off
    echo "This will eliminate everything from the Temp folder."
    echo "If you have just installed a program and rebooted,"
    echo "press Ctrl-C to cancel this step."
    pause
    c:
    cd windows
    deltree /y temp
    md temp
    At startup, to run it press any key. To cancel it hit Ctrl+C then type y then type win & then hit enter to continue booting up.

4. tazman

tazman Guest

Being new to this forum, it appears to me that SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard do basically the same thing. What is the difference, and why would I REALLY install both of these?

Thanks,

5. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi tazman,

Regarding SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard - if you have both you should be covered against a very high percentage of spyware out there (just because the different methods they use are very successful).

Regarding these techniques:

SpywareBlaster sets kill-bits for all the ActiveX elements in its database.

An anti-virus program scans files before you open them and prevents execution if a virus is detected - SpywareGuard does the same thing, but for spyware.

Hope this helps,

Pieter

6. tazman

tazman Guest

Okay, so that explains what spywareblaster does. Just what exactly does SpywareGuard do? Is it more for real time protection?

If SpywareBlaster sets kill bits, then I assume that something like Norton running interactively will "kill" the spyware before it gets to my system? If this is so, how does that differ from SpywareGuard (if my assumption above about Guard is right)?

Thanks for all the help

7. Reverend Ike

Reverend Ike Registered Member

It is my understanding that SpywareGuard was designed as a companion program to SpywareBlaster. SG provides real-time (resident) protection from certain types of spyware. It uses heuristics to detect and stop new variants that may not yet be catalogued into SB's database. There are some types of spyware that generate new random CLSIDs constantly - SG can detect those, whereas it would be almost impossible to update SB fast enough to keep up.

(That's my non-tech understanding - I'm sure someone can correct any points I may have mis-stated.)

I kinda smile when I see people ask in various forums whether SpywareGuard is truly necessary. I'm pretty sure Javacool would not have created SG if there wasn't a need for it. Given his reputation around security forums, I have no problem installing his software without question if he says it's a good idea ... :)

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. :)

Both programs provide different methods of protection. Together, they can prevent a high percentage of spyware from installing, running, hijacking your browser, etc.

SpywareBlaster is a non-resident program - it does not have to run in the background to provide protection. Kill bits can only affect ActiveX-based spyware - and there is other spyware out there, although ActiveX "drive-by-downloads" in webpages are one of the most common methods of distributing spyware. SpywareGuard, on the other hand, can catch most of the rest, and is resident (in addition to real-time scanning of EXE and CAB files, it also provides Browser Hijacking Protection, and Download Protection).

Best regards,

-Javacool

9. nameless

nameless Registered Member

SpywareGuard also watches for the installation of any browser helper object (BHO), or for certain browser settings to be changed.

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard have almost nothing in common, actually.

10. tazman

tazman Guest

Thanks to all. You have been very helpful.

11. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

I downloaded the new 2.1 Spywareguard and am getting o_Othe same error message. I even tried uninstalling and downloading again, but it didn't help.

12. compdrug

compdrug Guest

I just recently had to update my vb runtime files to version 6 sp5 from Microsoft due to another app giving run time errors and that solved it. I am going to see if that helps with Spywareguard.

13. longrun

longrun Registered Member

:( I just downloaded the Spyguard 2.1, but when I try to install it I get the following message:

"unable to register the DLL/OCX: LoadLibrary failed; 1157

One of the libraries needed to run this application cannot be found."

What can I do to fix this?

14. MOUNTIANMAN

MOUNTIANMAN Registered Member

429 runtime error the msvb run60 microsoft download will fix that where are the new downloads?

15. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Please see the following new thread for information on the fix:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12089

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.