SpywareBlaster ??

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Peaches4U, Jul 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Found this on another forum ... I find this opinion difficult to believe.

DrComputer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
    My opinion is still out on SpyWareBlaster. I'm a supporter of the one-two punch of AdAware and SpyBot S&D. Both are free, easy to use and update, and each catch spyware that the other doesn't.

There was some talk that SpyWareBlaster may actually be a vehicle for spyware... several anti-spyware type products are! Think about it... if you wanted to hide spyware what better way to distribute it and keep it safely installed than to package it surreptitiously in a "free" anti-spyware product? The same has happened before with viruses being distributed by unknown free anti-virus products.

Don't trust my advice as the last word on anti-spyware products though... seek reputable reviews from others that you trust, including nationally-distributed software magazines and newspapers.

DrComputer

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI Peaches.....

I can only comment with one thing!

OMG

quick, let me uninstall.... phew!!!!!!!!!!!.... That was SOOOOOO close, almost got "Blasted" by SpywareBlaster.... man....~wipes sweat from brow~. What will those devilish sypware programmers think of next.

[/ends sarcasm]

LOL... TAS

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm not sure why you'd be listening to that DrComputer person at all Peaches, after all you posted this other thread about something he/she said recently:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=216250

Definitely, not a person that anyone should listen to, I would think. :rolleyes:

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Speaking strictly as a person and not as Wilder's moderator - I barf on that guy :D

5. Peaches4U

Hi LWM - I do not listen to this person but he runs a column on a forum advising people with misinformation. I have been challenging him at every opportunity that he avails me to do so. I guess I like a challenge. :D No I do not listen to what he has to say as I think I am much smarter than that. I have been at Wilders long enough to know that I can get solid advice here. It simply irks me that he is misleading so many readers and posters [mostly women new to computers] on that forum who actually believe him. :mad:

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, to be a little more helpful and not just state that the person in question is only making unfounded statements and provides no links to any proofs, or any technical analysis at all, let me offer these factors...

1. He says to stick to the one-two punch of Ad-aware and Spybot. Okay then, within Spybot's Immunize screen is a link to SpywareBlaster and a recommendation about using SpywareBlaster for more control over ActiveX kill-bits. So, if Spybot and its author is to be trusted, and that author acknowledges SpywareBlaster's capability within his own product and provides referrals to it, then it's fair to say he must believe it to be both safe and trustworthy.

2. There are a few expects that provide information on rogue anti-spyware applications. Here's the URL with their current list, which doesn't include SpywareBlaster:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

3. The SpywareBlaster install is a very simple one, as is its update process. Anyone that wants to can get a program like Total Uninstall, and use that to monitor exactly what SpywareBlaster does when it installs on a system. No reverse-engineering is required if they want to see what gets installed. If there was spyware included, I'd think it'd be pretty widely known by now.

4. Most of the experts that perform HijackThis log cleaning, (which is done across a large number of security forums now), use a standard script for advising people how to keep their PCs secure after successfully cleaning off all the previous malware. This is the copy on our forum, but they are mostly the same on all the other forums, and SpywareBlaster is one of the recommended tools:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971

Here are a few others...

http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/articles/hijacked/prevent.php

http://www.computercops.biz/postt7736.html

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=3051

So, it would seem all the experts point to SpywareBlaster as a good preventative tool and unless they are all wrong... :eek: No, I don't think they're wrong. ;)

Edited to add... I just noticed this "sticky thread" over at the Lavasoft (Ad-aware) forums, linked as a standard closing in many of their cleaning threads and it also includes SpywareBlaster:

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=14165

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Peaches,

Would you mind sharing a link to this Forum ?

8. Tassie_Devils

Hell yeah.. would love to have a little debate with Dr NO.... ROFL.... I bet he still thinks the world is flat.

Cheers, TAS

edit: Peaches, feel free to use this pic... just post the pic, nothing else... LOL

see if that gets a reply.....oh dear.. that would wipe the smile off his dial.

Attached Files:

9. Peaches4U

Tassie - are you putting me up to no good? How about this one? It would give the old boy a heart attack - be nice!! :D

Attached Files:

10. Tassie_Devils

LOL>>....... Peaches.....

I have already sent 4-5 emails containing that to guys I have been trying to educate on security and who read all the "pretty things" in HTML emails.

I hope that "heart starter" will give them a wake-up call to show how easy it is to get blasted...[well pretty easy anyway]

sooo... have you got that link to the forum then mate. ;)

Cheers, TAS

11. Peaches4U

Right now as I sit here, hubby is fast asleep, it is 1:00 a.m. I am off to bed. Maybe tomorrow but it may scare others as well. Ooooooh, not nice!! :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.