SpywareBlaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by dallen, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Is SpywareBlaster still effective, or has it been surpassed by other anti-spyware programs on the market to the extent that having it on a system provides little or no additional protection?

The question assumes that the relative effectiveness of SpywareBlaster is being measured on a system that already has a top anti-spyware program (i.e. SpySweeper, SUPERAntiSpyware, etc.) actively running.

In other words, I want to know if you think a system benefits from adding SpywareBlaster to a system already being protected by another anti-spyware solution.

Thank you for your input!!!

Feel free to qualify your vote by adding your reasoning.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I'm not really sure that SpywareBlaster ever was effective nor for that matter are any of the other anti-spyware programs that people seem to love to load up on a "the more programs I have the better" basis.

Get a hardware Firewall
    Use Firefox with no scripts
    add an anti-virus program if you must
    when the system is known to be clean make a system image.

Use on demand programs to check if it makes you feel more secure. Unless you are opening attchments you shouldn't or downloading crap then you should stay clean.

Alternately - load up with as many of the latest gimmick programs as you can find and watch you machine slow down to the point where you need a new faster machine which you will then be able to cripple with even more security.

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I can affirm that SpywareBlaster might reduce the number of spyware infections. I install SWB in systems of people who are careless about security. Without SWB, they call me every week for a cleanup. With SWB, the calls are much less frequent and the infections are more benign.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have been using SpywareBlaster for a few years now. How do I tell if it works if I have practically no spyware. If I do a scan with any of my anti-spyware apps like Ad-Aware, I never catch more than 2 or 3 data miners. Am I just lucky, or is SpywareBlaster doing its job? :doubt:

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

It was one of the first AS`s I learned about many moons ago. With 0 resource usage for real time protection and only 3.10 MB disk space usage, I will continue to use it.

6. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

I too noticed less "disruptions" ever since I have SB installed 2 yrs ago.

I believe otherwise this pc would have been 'fried' a long time ago...just like my other ones I used to have. :doubt:

SB is of great help imo. ;)

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have had it only a very short time. But this was pretty much what I thought too. So why not. How often are updates put out for increases in it's data base?

8. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I can not answer that one. Less frequently then AVs` and other ASs`. However there was one within the last 10 days, so it is still supported.

9. Long View

Difficult to know whether SpywareBlaster is working - Does it indicate if it has stopped something ? or is it just a matter of belief ? I did use it until a couple of years ago and have not missed it. Perhaps if I used IE ?
    As to it using zero resources in real time - I'll take that as "I haven't noticed any slow down" and that's the problem with security - little by little it gets added, one program after another, and slowly but imperceptibly machines start to slow.

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

As to a resource issue, SWB is not a running application so none should be noticed. As far as updating, seems it's about every 2 weeks or so.

snowbound

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

SWB only adds registry keys and values. It hasn´t any running process, service, thread, driver, etc.
    For testing: use VMware, create two copies of XP SP1 and install SWB in only one VM. Surf with IE to the dark side in both machines and compare the results.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

What's it going to hurt, even if it did nothing. It just sits there. I'm going to assume it helps. :D

13. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

:D Now, that is thee most positive outlook in this new year I've heard so far !

And besides this: SB not only protects you when you surf with IE but also it supports Firefox addicts, like me. :-*

14. Long View

Thanks to those who have pointed out that SWB hasn't any real overhead.
    I guess the real reason why I have survived without it for a few years is the dull
    life I lead -- no dark side for me

15. mercurie

ThunderZ and Snowbound, thanks for your responses. every two weeks is fine I think for the average person for a free zero to very low resource useage, prevention vs clean, antispyware product like the free SpywareBlaster. :thumb:

Longview, your life is probably more lively then you think. Everyone always thinks they are more boring then the other guy or girl. Sorry to drift off topic but to much risk behavior sometimes results in a lot of pain later. Now bringing this around to pc security again... unless you enjoy study of malware, testing, and cleaning machines you can afford to get infected the average pc user is better taking a careful approach. ;)

16. Long View

I agree but there is a tendency to think that this means loading as many security programs as can be afforded and then loading all the free ones as well.

I think the average pc user would be better advised to:

(1) Get a hardware Firewall i.e throw away the "free" modem supplied and spend some money on a reasonable router/firewall.
    (2) Use Firefox with no scripts
    (3) throw in one anti-virus program - better still subscribe to a email company that scans emails.
    (4) load windows Defender.

17. mercurie

Oh yea, I think you can see by my set up in my sig. I pretty much agree with you. By the way I am behind a Router as well. I totally agree on that one. Get that hardware firewall. ;)

I never use AdWatch in AdAware boy was that a waste of $$. :(

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

To All:

As this is the Spywareblaster Support forum We ask that any other anti-malware program discussion be accomplished in our other anti-malware software forum.

As such some ot posts were removed and placed in this thread which was created for that non Spywareblaster discussion.
    It's true Spywareblaster itself does not offer a popup indication but since the majority of the protection is for IE....a user of Spywareblaster would see either an ActiveX warning or Restricted Sites indicator for any entry found in SB's database.
    Excluding the Firefox\Mozilla Cookie protection....the majority of the protection is for Internet Explorer or certain browsers that utilize the Internet Explorer engine as noted in this FAQ.

At the end of the day "SpywareBlaster provides a powerful layer of protection against spyware and other potentially unwanted software. It is proven and trusted."

Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.