SpywareBlaster Waking up Zango Search Assistant

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by sugarshack2, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarshack2

sugarshack2 Registered Member

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience or not, but every time that I run SpywareBlaster, it tells me that the protection for the 4 Restricted Sites, identified by Spyware-Doctor as Zango Search Assistant sites, is disabled. Sure enough, when I look in the registry, I find all four of them. I can have Spyware-Doctor clean them up, then scan the registry again with Spyware-Doctor and it tells me that it's clean. Then if I run SpywareBlaster again, they all get put back into the registry. The Entries are:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\i-lookup.com
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\offshoreclicks.com
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\teensguru.com
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com

I even took out the entry that is suppose to be the watchdog entry for the others which I learned about from reading the forums here at Wilders Security Forums. And that one is:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\180solutions.com

I don't know what else to do. Looks like I really do have the Zango Search Assistant on my system. By the way I do all of this before I ever go onto the internet. I'm running Windows XP sp2 with ZoneAlarm, Spybot-S&D and McAfee Online Virus Scan V9.0 in addition to the above mentioned software.

But what I really want to know is WHY does running SpywareBlaster ALWAYS wake it up? I can scan with Spyware-Doctor before running SpywareBlaster and it's not there, only after I run SpywareBlaster.

Michael

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

It's false positive identifications by the other product... SpywareBlaster is adding protections for those items. The other tool mistakenly identifies those protections and hijacks or spyware and removes them. There actually have been many threads on those exact items being undone incorrectly by other tools. Here's a good reference:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=51956

SpywareBlaster isn't waking up those entries, it is restoring valid protections that are being incorrectly identified and removed by the other product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.