SpywareBlaster v2.0 released

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Dec 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

SpywareBlaster v2.0 has been officially released.

You can either grab the full install from here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/spywareblaster.html

or if you have v1.1 installed, you can now use the Check For Updates feature to download and install the new version automatically. :) (Just make sure that you run Check for Updates again in v2.0 to get the database information.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

2. Ghost

Ghost Guest

When trying to update from the old program to 2.0, even though it appears to succeed, if you keep clicking on "Check for updates", it'll continually offer you the program update for 2.0 and install it over and over again.

Going to re-down-load the whole thing from the first link you gave instead and see if that works any better.

3. imadreamer2

imadreamer2 Registered Member

Early this morning, 1:30 am Dec 16, I d/l the latest update by opening version 1.1 and it said there were two updates, I d/l and clicked finish, it said it would update then reopen spywareblaster. It did not. An ms dos window said something to the effect that it was waiting for spywareblaster to stop. Closing application and re started it now says warning spywareblaster.exe is not a valid win 32 application. I went to post at the site, login and it says I am logged in but click to post and it won't keep me logged in, so per instructions to another user I d/l v 2.0 and uninstalled 1.1. It still won't let me log in and post. I ran scan disc, repaired ie, ran virus checker, even deltreed cookies index.dat . Finally this time it let me post. My question is what got mixed up or was it just that early this morning there was a problem? o_O At least I think it's gona work this time. Ok looks like all is well. Looks like you can't use v 1.1 to d/l the update.

4. javacool

You can use v1.1 to grab the update now. :)

What you encountered was a problem earlier where the update file on the server (which SpywareBlaster downloads so it can determine what the newest files are, if you need them, and where to get them) pointed to a non-existent location. Thus, SpywareBlaster tried to download a file of, effectively, nothing. The "DOS window" you saw appear was actually the updatersup.exe program - it installs the new version over the old version automatically. In this case, it installed the new file of nothing over the old file (thus the problems you experienced). This small problem has since been fixed and v1.1 will now successfully update to v2.0. :D

However, this issue would not have caused the problems you had logging in to post to this site (I am guessing that had to do with a cookie issue, which is separate altogether).

Anyway, I hope this clears some things up. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. javacool

This may have been due to the issue I mention in my post above. If you haven't done the full install of v2.0, would you mind checking to make sure this works now?

Thanks,

-Javacool

6. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Unable to install from old version so did download/install of full new version. No biggy, just for your info javacool. windows ME here.

bob

Attached Files:

7. Pretender

and

the other error

Attached Files:

8. imadreamer2

imadreamer2 Registered Member

Yep, those are the two I got. Uninstalled all and installed v2.0 and all is well now. Still don't know why it wouldn't let me sign in and stay but all is well now too.

9. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Un-installed the previous version, d/l'ed the new version, re-started, installed new version, checked for updates, checked for updates again - no problem, worked fine.

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Hi Ghost,

Glad to hear so; v2.0.1 has been put up some hours ago, and should fix problems ;).

regards.

paul

11. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Hi, Paul!

Guess what? Checked for updates and it went into the same loop when trying to d/l and install 2.01!

Guess I'll un-install and try it again!

12. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Well, got it working again.

Seems to still be a problem there, somewhere.

13. javacool

It sounds as if SpywareBlaster had problems copying over the new version of the file.

I'll look into it. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

14. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Registered Member

I wonder if it could be related to operating system? I updated two Windows 2000 machines to 2.0 and then to 2.01 without any problems but when I tried to update my Windows 98 machine from 1.1 to 2.01 I got the above errors and I had to download 2.01 and un-install 1.1 before I could install the 2.01 version.

15. Pretender

Worked okay on my Windows ME.

16. Darren

Darren Guest

I used the "check for update" on my version 1.x yesterday, and the version update would not install (definitions installed fine). I had to manually downloaded and install Spywareblaster 2.0. The same thing happened today trying to upgrade to version 2.01...It seems to be downloading, it closes to install, but it doesn't install the update. If I check again, the same one is listed. I found where Spywareblaster downloaded the update (it was in my TIF directory). I copied the new executable to the Spywareblaster directory (overwriting the old one). I now have version 2.01 why are some of us having problems with the version update?
    ======================
    Windows XP Pro SP1

17. javacool

I'm really not sure - but I am actively looking into it. (My guess is that SpywareBlaster is not properly exiting...) :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

18. javacool

Latest SpywareBlaster definitions: 12/21/02.

Best regards,

-Javacool

19. Dark_Archonis

Dark_Archonis Registered Member

Hi, I was wondering if you (javacool) take suggestions about new spyware that should be added. The spyware that I have problems with is called "Dialler" and also "TPS108". Now, maybe I'm just blind and Spywareblaster already has support for "Dialler", but I have not seen it. It's "dialler" with 2 l's, so I think it may be a different program than just the regular "dialer". Also, "tps108" is a very sneaky program. It collects info on what sites you visit, sends it to "mother goose", it gets analyzed, and then based on your interests, and bunch of pop ups appear often while you're surfing the net. This is total invasion of privacy. To my knowledge, your program doesn't support this spyware. This program re-appears on my computer often, and to get rid of it each time, I must unregister the required program .dll (then delete it), or delete the program in safe mode.

I'd be very happy if spywareblaster did support the 2 spyware programs I listed.

20. javacool

I'm always glad to take suggestions. But first, I need to know if this is installed via a webpage (originally or constantly) and if so, can you point me to it? If not, what program do you think is installing this spyware?

UPDATE: The "tps108" is in the SpywareBlaster definitions as "Transponder". While SpywareBlaster may disable components of this spyware, it may not be able to disable it completely. Also, if it constantly gets reinstalled on your system, you have some other malware program that is doing it. I would recommend getting Spybot S & D from http://security.kolla.de (download updates for it in the Online tab) and then scan your system to get rid of the malware that keeps reinstalling Transponder. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

21. Dark_Archonis

Dark_Archonis Registered Member

I already own Spybot S & D, but even after cleaning my system with it, "tps108" still reappears. It works by installing itself as a BHO (Browser Help Object) without your knowledge. It may install using ActiveX, but I'm not sure. It sits on your computer as a BHO, and also installs a .dll into your WINDOWS directory called tps108.dll. Both SpywareBlaster and Spybot S & D are fully updated, and I use them both regularly, but the program still re-appears even though I'm protected against all the items listed in SpywareBlaster. I'll give you the website(s) relating to tps108:

www.tps108.org - this is the program website
    www.mindseti.com - this is the website of the actual company that makes this program
    http://www.mindseti.com/privacy.html - and this is the privacy webpage for the company

As for "dialler", I can't find any info, but I know that it also goes by the name of "coulomb". Other than that, I'm not sure.

Also, I have another question. If certain programs keep re-appearing even though I'm protected against them with SpywareBlaster, what does this mean?

22. javacool

SpywareBlaster is a method of protection - it is not a 100% solution. It can protect against ActiveX spyware components, but if something is not ActiveX-based, SpywareBlaster can't protect against it. You'll find that sometimes parts of spyware are included in the SpywareBlaster database when the whole thing cannot be included.

In your situation, SpywareBlaster can't prevent whatever keeps replacing the Transponder spyware on your system from doing so (as it is most likely not ActiveX-based - or it could be new - but I'm leaning towards it being non-ActiveX-based).

Best regards,

-Javacool

23. Hydra

Hydra Guest

please block this bit of spyware

Please block this bit of software..

CLSID:A1DC3241-B122-195F-B21A-000000000000

http://pluginaccess.com/

24. javacool

Re:please block this bit of spyware

This will be added in the next definitions update. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

25. Rhia

Rhia Guest

I just downloaded Spyware V2.0 and it said that it couldn't find the following file...

MSVBVM60.DLL

This always happens!!!! :rolleyes:

Any ideas folkso_O??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.