SpyWareBlaster unchecking items

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guitarelf, Dec 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guitarelf

guitarelf Registered Member

I've noticed over the last few days that the following items keep mysteriously unchecking in SWB. I re-enable all protection, but within 20/30 minutes, they are unchecked again. I've added the items to IE "always block" list. Also, I've recently installed SpyCatcher Express, might that have a bearing on this problem?
    Here are the items:
    blazefind.com
    flingstone.com
    mt-download.com
    searchbarcash.com
    searchmiracle.com
    slotch.com
    xxxtoolbar.com

Thanks in antis,
    Guitarelf. :)

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

This is another case similar to this thread where your AOL Spyware remover Falsely reported valid entries of another program....in particular Spywareblaster. Any and everything said in that thread applies with this find also.

Try these---> Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products

Attached Files:

3. guitarelf

Hello bubba, good to hear from you again. I'm sorry to appear so stupid, but what do I need to do next to sort this issue? Should the items be unchecked in SWB or SCExpress? I understand what a false positive is, but I need to be told in very simple language what to do....imagine I'm a reasonably bright five year old!!
    Season's Greetings,
    Guitarelf. ;) :D

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Similar to the suggestion in your AOL spyware remover thread I linked to above....if Spycatcher finds items such as this again and you determine they are valid entries placed there by a program you are using(Spywareblaster in this case)....tell Spycatcher not to delete those items and if Spycatcher has a selection to ignore items such as that make that selection :doubt:

If that does not make sense Please say so. We will hammer it home some how so the light will finally come on.

5. guitarelf

OK Bubba, I've made a little progress. SpyCatcherExp. found CWS.HomeSearchAssistant. When I clicked on it in Applications Actions, it showed me the traces, which are the seven items I previously listed (the ones that keep unchecking in SWB). I asked SCExp. to remove CWS.HomeSearchAssistant yesterday. SCExp. does not have an "allow" function for traces. With CWS gone, presumably taking it's traces with it, what do I do next please?
    A thought...when I ran through the initial configuration of SCExp. there was an option to scan for cookies, which I checked. If I uncheck this, might it solve the problem?
    I'm fully prepared for my hammering....over to you!!
    GElf. ;) :) :D

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

When Spycatcher reports these valid Spywareblaster entries again....uncheck those items in Spycatcher before asking Spycatcher to fix them.

I would also attempt to contact the makers of Spycatcher and inform them of their False positives if you decide to continue using this program. Personally....I suggest you stick with the programs I linked to in my above post. As noted in this recent thread....Spycatcher appears to be good with FP's

In regards to the cookies....this matter has nothing to do with those cookie settings.

7. guitarelf

Bubba, it's interesting, SpyCatcher found these entries on the first scan, nothing since. Looks more & more like FPs doesn't it? I don't think I'm going to bother with this program anymore. As ever, many thanks for the sound, practical advice & many thanks for your patience!
    Happy Holidays,
    Guitarelf. :D

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It is a False positive on Spywarecatchers part as I commented in my first post but unfortunatelly I failed some how in conveying this to you :doubt:
    Good decision and don't forget the list of Trustworthy Anti-Spyware Products ;)
    You are more than Welcome and Happy Holidays to you and yours also :cool:

9. guitarelf

A final word from me....I uninstalled SpyCatcherExp, not without incident...a little sting in the tail....a final dialogue box informing you that all your quarantined items will become active if you uninstall, do you REALLY want to uninstall? The season of goodwill....doesn't feel like it!!
    I now realise that apart from the SWB issue (now sorted) there were other associated problems with SpyCatcher. It did not play well with the rest of the installed software. It caused connectivity issues with AOL. It caused programs to hang at shut-down. It slowed my machine down. Without it, my computer runs smooth & fast & glitch-free. For all I know, it may be a brilliant piece of kit, but my Presario did not like it.
    Took your advice again Bubba, got myself an early Christmas present, Microsoft AntiSpyware....fast,free & runs as sweet as a nut!
    Happy Days,
    Guitarelf. :D :cool: :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.