spywareblaster slows down ie8 and ccleaner

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by erwin_mi, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erwin_mi

erwin_mi Registered Member

Spywareblaster (cookie protection ie and restricted sites) slows down opening ie8 and ccleaner on vista (also spybot s&d is involved)...

Can this be fixed?

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello:

One of my PC's on the lan recently got "upgraded" to IE8 during the MS monthly update. This had the effect of slowing down everything and a flurry of updates by a number of vendors including CCleaner.

The problem was fixed by reverting to IE 7 and then going over to FF.

3. erwin_mi

You can work around the slowdown and keep ie8 by disabling:
    - in spywareblaster: cookie protection ie and restricted sites protection
    - in spybot s&d: ie cookies, ie domains and ie secure domains immunization.

See also http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archi...mmunization-by-spybot-s-amp-d-is-enabled.aspx .

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As I mentioned in another thread, uninstalling SpywareBlaster reduced the cold startup time in FF from 28 seconds to 14 seconds, and also reduced startup time for Opera a couple of seconds. I installed IE8 and got an 11 second cold startup. except for a few new features, it's not much different than IE7, grey toolbars and all. My FD-ISR put me safely back in IE7 where the startup time is 5 seconds. Like Escalader, (Hi Escalader) I am safely back in FF. :D

5. Escalader

Hello twl845 et al:

I fail to see why any security savvy user of Spyblaster etc, would want to save a few seconds of 1/day cold startup time by removing or disabling security features even with Spybot S and D. You save the seconds then run all day in a less secure way! Why do I want to do that again?

As to IE8, has anybody got any real facts on this news I saw somewhere that it has a keylogger? Surely Bill Gates wouldn't donate a KL to the world? Probably just static.

PS: Rumours of my demise are false!:rolleyes: As you know (maybe) I'm fishing in other rivers. But I digress from the topic. If you have time PM me with your current news and SW status!

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Should go without saying but as this is the dedicated Spyware Blaster Support Forum, questions of that nature are best answered in some forum other than this dedicated Spyware Blaster Support Forum Please.

No OT reply necessary, simply consider taking that discussion to perhaps our software & services forum Please.

Thanks,
    Bubba

7. Escalader

Good point!

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Escalader, Actually, removing SB was suggested in another thread using the rational that if we are running in Sandboxie, and using HIPS in OA, plus running SuperAntispyware in real time, that would suffice. It wouldn't take but a minute to re-install SB, as I have the exe file in My Downloads. After trying every trick to speed up my FF on startup, I'm enjoying the quicker start time for the moment.

9. Escalader

Hi:

Back to the post.

Hmmm, I wonder what version of SB the original poster was using?

I'm at 4.2 27/04/2009.

The reason I'm sort of chipping at this one is there are so many reasons for slow downs and often they are "assumed" but not proved. You are talking FF not IE8 and ccleaner. BTW, ccleaner is fastest when there is nothing to clean. :D

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

In my case, I have tried everything from starting FF in safe mode, disabling all extensions, cleaning out the cache etc. but it still did a cold start in approximately 28 seconds. I had used FF less than a day before reading the post about SB so decided to give it a try. After uninstalling my SB v4.2 I rebooted and started FF in 14 seconds. The long access time only annoyed me when I had FF as my default browser, and would check my e-mail. If I had to click an attachment for a link, I would have to wait until FF took. I finally made Opera my default, so when doing e-mails I only had to wait about 10 seconds for the cold start. Since I uninstalled SB Opera starts in 5 seconds cold. :blink:

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  11. erwin_mi

I'm also using spywareblaster 4.2.

I can confirm the slowdown of ie8 and ccleaner is caused by long lists of restricted sites and of sites from which cookies are blocked in ie8 itself. I've done some extensive testing. So spywareblaster and spybot s&d are not causing the slowdown directly, but in fact ie8 itself is.

It seems ie team is aware of the problem:

"Update2: IE Team confirmed the above problem exist IF there are many domains in the restricted sites. See comment of IE Team, Eric Law a at their blog."
    (see http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archi...mmunization-by-spybot-s-amp-d-is-enabled.aspx ).

See also http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...d4f-bde1-d8efee1f1420&lang=en&cr=us&sloc=&p=1 .

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Erwin: My findings in my above post were done while using IE7 not IE8. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.