SpywareBlaster problem

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Husker, Oct 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Husker

Husker Registered Member

Hello. I do a Panda ActiveScan every Thursday and I encountered a problem with Panda ActiveScan Pro. It found an infected file and Panda disinfected it immediately but when I want to see what the file is, it wouldn't let me. The screen would take so long since its checking my Internet Connection.

I also went to SpywareBlaster and noticed that I have 6 items that have been disabled through Internet Explorer. I didn't think much of it so I enabled all protection.

I noticed that when I did another Panda ActiveScan this afternoon, it found an infected file and supposedly disinfected it and it appears that if I enabled All Protection on SpywareBlaster, that infected file will appear on Panda.

I've never encountered that problem before and I do have the latest SpywareBlaster updates from September 19th. I did a scan on the 22nd and it didn't appear but when I did a scan yesterday, it appeared.

I contacted Panda about this issue so hopefully I'll get a response soon. Maybe the next SpywareBlaster update will resolve this issue. I don't know. I've done scans using Spybot, Ad-Aware, Norton and it found nothing. I'm pretty sure if I did a couple of online scans, it wouldn't find anything.

I'm not sure if the problem has to do with SpywareBlaster or Panda.

I would like someone to try this-run a free online scan through Panda and if you have SpywareBlaster installed on your computer, after Panda finishes, check to see if SpywareBlaster reads 6 disabled items through Internet Explorer. I'm just curious.

Thank you!

2. plun

plun Registered Member

Hi Husker

I can confirm this behavior with Panda and Spywareblaster from
    a swedish forum.

This user also used several other tools as Adaware, HijackThis, TrendMicro Housecall AS and Ewidos online scan and nothing was found.

For her it started with tracking cookies and these entrys was disabled within Spywareblaster:

BFast, Commission Junction, Commission Junction(4), FastClick, FastClick(2), Link Synergy

Please let us know if Panda answers anything to you or if anyone within this forum has any clue ?

regards
    plun

3. Husker

Husker Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty sure I'll get a response during the weekday. Maybe when SpywareBlaster has another update, it'll fix the problem.

4. plun

plun Registered Member

Hi again

It must be a registry mismatch between Spywareblasters registry rules for IE and Pandas removal instructions for malware.

Hard to say where the fault is ? Who was first ? :D

regards
    plun

5. Husker

Husker Registered Member

Haha. I never had a lot of problems with Panda before. It worked fine with no problems last week but just last Thursday when I typically do a Panda scan, that problem occured.

6. plun

plun Registered Member

Well, Panda seems to be really tough now against malware ( or using stupid
    detection/removal rules :p )

Look at this thread from Castlecops:
    http://www.castlecops.com/t132372-Problem_with_Panda_Active_Scan_Pro.html

So I believe this can be that Panda using totally wrong detection rules and also removes Spywareblasters registry settings to protect IE.

regards
    plun

7. Husker

Husker Registered Member

Interesting. I remember having a similar problem like that other poster went through. I recieved an e-mail from Panda a day or two later. I'm not even going to attempt to mess with my registry just to find a mistake that Panda may be causing.

I'm almost tempted to call Panda if I don't receive an e-mail soon.

8. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Registered Member

:D Perhaps you should switch from Panda to Avast Antivirus
    ( www.avast.com ) which has a good & FREE "Home Edition";
    it never disables SpywareBlaster's protection settings .

9. Husker

Husker Registered Member

I'm going to keep Panda until it expires next year. I already have Norton AntiVirus.

10. culla

culla Registered Member

panda just wants to sell things and themselves to you so they unblocked the crap they advertise through i always get false positives with panda i think trend micro and bitdefender both free online scans are better avg free is my main av i've used it for years without any problems :ninja:

11. plun

plun Registered Member

Hi

No meaning to start a antivirus program war about this :cool:

It might be so that Panda is "out of control" but also that Spywareblaster
    must change something ? We will for sure see more about this in future
    when this "protection war" starts for real with "One Care" in business......... o_O

Maybe Panda soon is out of business but that´s in future.

Can we maybe have a comment from some moderator or Javacool
    member/official of this site ?

regards
    plun

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As a moderator about all I can say is that we have had numerous threads concerning Panda in regards to False positives. What helps most when questioning the validity of possible Panda False positive in regards to Spywareblaster is for a poster to provide the Panda report showing the Incident Status Location. More times than not that report will provide the required info to determine possible Panda False Positives. The various links provided in this thread helps to confirm that Panda False positives do indeed exist in regards to valid Spywareblaster database entries.

13. plun

plun Registered Member

Thank you Bubba :)

The major problem is that Pandas support seems to be a "dead end" o_O

Maybe it´s easier for Javacool to start a friendly conversation with Panda about these Spywareblaster database entry removals ?

This is indeed no good for Pandas reputation and also causing headache to a lot of Spywareblaster users. ;) Why are these entrys deactivated ?

I am going to ask the user if she can get the Panda report and maybe more
    users can send in these "Incident status location" reports ?

regards
    plun

Last edited: Oct 4, 2005
  14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As a non Panda user I can not speak negatively of that software. As a general comment all software of this type has False positives from time to time. That IMHO should not cause users of their respective software too much heart burn. If however said software folks do not react promptly when properly notified by end users that would be something I as a user whould then look at when considering the use of said software.

If we take for example the below partial Panda report....we see that Panda is Falsely reporting valid entries placed in the registry concerning entries in Internet Explorers Restricted Zone. The Why answer would have to come from Panda but once they are informed I'm sure their answer would possibly consist of Duh....those are valid entries :cool:

15. plun

plun Registered Member

Hi again Bubba

This is for sure "words of wisdom", I am a Trend Micro fan myself but what I can see we have frustrated users about Panda and Spywareblaster.

For me this is not a big deal but in this mess with malware it causing headache for some users.

And of course we will have false/positives, probably more of them within this wild jungle :cool: and of course with harder competition between all
    security programs trying go get high ranks/reputation in every test.

regards
    plun

16. Husker

Husker Registered Member

Hey guys.

Has anyone tried to call Panda regarding this issue or other false positives in the past? I'm really tempted to call them up later this week if they don't fix the problem.

17. J at B

J at B Guest

I have send them an email with link to that (now closed) other thread about the problem.

PS:
    There is a poster (ePCdoctor) at DSLR-Security who said he's working for Panda; maybe someone could notify him at DSLR?

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14286924

18. Husker

Husker Registered Member

I recieved an e-mail and this is what I get:

I don't think the person that read my problem understands..

19. plun

plun Registered Member

:D

Panda Softwares "dead end".................. o_O

Customer relations :ninja:

regards
    plun

20. Husker

Husker Registered Member

I got another e-mail from:

That's what I like to hear!

21. Husker

Husker Registered Member

Is Panda working for you guys without any problems? I haven't scanned yet but I'd like to know if its working.

22. J at B

J at B Guest

Hi,

I just scanned with Panda Titanium 2005 on that computer of a friend:
    as far as I saw the problem still exists. See my earlier posting:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=100248

I don't like it that Panda did not reply to my email from that friend's machine.
    False Positives can happen to all scanners; but I do want a reply in case I inform a company about it.
    Those friends have two machines that came pre-installed with Panda; another friend the same (I'm going there tomorrow).
    I'm going to advice my friends to buy another AV when their licence will expire.

23. Husker

Husker Registered Member

Here's another e-mail from them:

So that means I have to disable all protection on SpywareBlaster? I've never done that in the past.

24. J at B

J at B Guest

25. Husker

Husker Registered Member

At least I'm not the only one having problems.

I wonder if Panda will ever fix this problem. For now, I'm just going to disable SpywareBlaster when I use Panda and then reenable SpywareBlaster when I'm done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.