spywareblaster - problem reenable flash

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by lappen, Mar 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lappen

lappen Spyware Fighter

I wanted to reenable flash after I used the kill bit under Tools / Flash killer but it doesn’t seem to work.

I have tried to reinstall flash from macromedia and it seem to show ok but when trying to browse some sites that have flash intros it still doesn’t work... or is it my system?

Never posted here before so I don’t know how much info you need from me to be able to help me / answer my question so feel free to tell me :)

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re-enabling Flash with that "Flash Killer" setting has always worked for me on IE6. I may have to exit IE fully and restart sometimes to ensure it takes effect, but it does enable again. (The kill-bit is really just an on and off switch for that, if you will.)

However, if you were able to see the Flash control at the Macromedia site, and reinstall it - then that itself is Flash. So, it is probably is working in that regard. Also, if you have a .SWF file on your system and double-click that and it plays, then that is a sign it's working, too - and also a sign that it isn't if it doesn't play.

Attached Files:

3. lappen

lappen Spyware Fighter

Thanx, I have got the flash to work again ;) Not on the sites I want i to work on though :(

Guess it's the site/my machine and not spywareblaster, sorry for trying to blame spywareblaster :oops:

Still not able to view some webistes that use flash and also unable to browse to the install shockwave page at macromedia (without the killbit set)

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

So, you are saying that Flash works on some sites, but not others, right? That's an important distiction. If that is the case, then it's not actually a kill-bit issue. The kill-bit is an all or nothing thing, and not for some sites but not others.

Flash requires more than just the kill-bit not being set in order to be able to run. Your IE security settings play a big part in this. ActiveX is required for the site, because that is how Flash runs in IE. Some sites might trigger it all with active scripting, so that setting must be checked. (These are the settings made in IE > Tools > Internet Options > Security tab, that I'm talking about here.)

If you disable ActiveX in an IE security zone, like the Internet Zone, and a site at which you want to see a Flash display actually runs in that zone, then no ActiveX can run there which includes Flash. (So, if you tightened your IE security recently by either raising the slider on the IE Security tab, or by choosing disable all ActiveX and scripting, then that might be the problem.)

To test this, you may want to set the ActiveX options to prompt, and active scripting, too. Close all IE browser windows and start up a new one. Then go to a site that you trust as being safe, where Flash has not been working, and see if you can get it to run by answering the prompts.

5. lappen

lappen Spyware Fighter

Thanx for the help!

Got it to work by temporarily adding the site (http://www.antenn.se) to trusted sites and once again removing the kill bit.

Had some trouble though as stated in first post to get flash to load ( on numerous sites) after removing the kill before I reinstalled flash but that might be playing around with various spy ware removers the last couple of days :)

Have to say it poor coding that you load a 404 page (http://www.antenn.se/noflash.htm) even if flash is enabled but some scripting is blocked, or am I wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.