SpywareBlaster Not Responding

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Sam Salt, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam Salt

Sam Salt Registered Member

I have just installed SWB 3.3 but when I come to check for any updates the program hangs [ not responding ].I uninstalled the previous version completely before installation,and have reinstalled 3.3 three times but no change.Never had this problem previously with any other version,anyone any ideas ?

I am running XP Pro.

Sam Salt

2. Sam Salt

Sam Salt Registered Member

Managed to solve it.Checked the"Use Alternative Download Method" box.Don't know why but Update now works without a hang.

Sam Salt

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I'm glad to hear that you got it working, but would you mind posting some additional information? (So I can hopefully duplicate the issue?)

-What other security software you have installed (such as anti-virus, firewall, etc.)

-Any customizations (security or privacy-related) that you've made to your system.

Thanks! :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. alino

alino Guest

I have the same problem.
    Update did not work and SB hung.
    Only when I have manually checked 'Use Alternative Download Method' it started to works.
    Note:
    - w2k sp4 + outpost firewall + usr router (all works fine)
    - uninstalled previous SB version (was perfectly working) before to install the new one
    - no other system changes

5. Dorothy

Dorothy Registered Member

I am also having a problem with spyblaster not responding. Verision 3.2 was working perfectly. I did follow the upgrade instructions. Once program 3.3was installed tried to do an update and received the message no internet connection and then program did not respond. After reading the forum I did change my option to use alternative download method and did get notification when rebooting that no updates were available. I have automatic updates.
    Running windows home xp
    firefox
    sygate firewall pro 5.5 build 2710
    ad adware se plus build 105
    linksys wired router befsr41 ver 2
    Dorothy

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

What anti-virus do you have installed?

It seems there may have been a problem with SpywareBlaster 3.3 and older versions of Avast (and its "Web Shield" feature), but I haven't been able to reproduce it yet.

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi JC,

I suspect a lot depends on everything that is/was running, plus the specific OS. I had no problems with avast's Web Shield and SB 3.2 or 3.3 (didn't play with any of avast's betas, if that makes a difference).

Just to confuse the chronology of what's running with what, you might be aware that avast's latest "official" (as opposed to beta) build (.623) was finally released this morning, almost on the heels of SB 3.3.

The only problem I had with the Web Shield was that I missed ZA (free)'s request to grant it access, but once I corrected that manually the ZA-SB-avast combo has worked just fine for me.

8. alino

alino Guest

maybe the problem is related to avast.
    i have just downloaded latest avast's build (623) and now SWB update feature seems to work again also with 'Use Alternative Downoad Method' unchecked.
    regards

----------------
    w2k+sp4
    avast 4.6.623
    outpost firewall
    swb 3.3
    swg 2.2
    mozilla firefox 1.0.1

9. marcelj

marcelj Registered Member

I think it most probably had to do with Avast (together with W2K-Pro).
    In WXP-Pro I had no problem after update to SB 3.3, but in W2K the SB update option failed after having gone to 3.3.
    Having read the possible solutiion on this forum I upgraded avast from 4.6.603 to 4.6.623 and see: update in SB 3.3 worked again.

Regards,
    Marcel
    *puppy*

10. Dorothy

Dorothy Registered Member

Hi,
    Sorry I forgot to mention that I run avast 4.6 home addition and all updates are current.
    Dorothy

11. MAF

MAF Registered Member

Same problem here with 3.3. I had to check the Use Alternative Download Method box other people have and now the update check works.

WinXP Pro (no SP), Avast! Home Edition 4.6.623, Sygate PF Pro 5.5.

12. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

It was the avast! Web Shield that caused this on one of my XP SP1 systems, using only the XP built-in firewall (behind a router). Stopping that provider in avast! or stopping the overall on access protection, allowed the updater to hit Javacool's site fine. (Note that "pausing" the provider in avast! was not enough. It had to be stopped, then the update connection worked fine without resorting to the Alternate Download Method.)

However, the new build of avast! released just a few days ago fixed this for me. I ran the built-in Program Update in avast!, rebooted and from then on SpywareBlaster update attempts go right out without Alternative Download method.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.