SpywareBlaster loads but stops (W98&firefox)

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by remox, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. remox

remox Registered Member

SpywareBlaster (v3.1 I presume) was working fine (W98, IE).
    I removed IE with IEradicator2001.
    I installed firefox9.2
    Firefox works great and W98 runs "a lot better".
    I uninstalled SpywareBlaster, no problem encountered.
    I installed SpywareBlaster 3.2. The Setup Wizzard proceeds smoothly. After the last Wizzard "enter" the program starts and an "Unexpected Error" window is displayed.
    I uninstalled and installed again 2 times, same result.o_O? who has a clue?
    Regards to all of you.
    remox :)

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey remox,

As for the Unexpected Error....is there more to the error message....does it mention a file name ?

3. remox

remox Registered Member

Hello Bubba,
    When I click the Spywareblaster icon or start the spywareblaster.exe directly the program starts to display a "white frame" (part of the frame of the main Spywareblaster screen?). But is directly stopped by the error.

In the error window there is :

SpywareBlaster
    unexpected error
    OK (on the button)

Thanks,
    Remox :)

4. BlueFox

BlueFox Registered Member

REMOX

I think your problem is the removal of IE. The reason is IE is is higly intergrated with windows 98, and removing IE coild interfare with some functions and files of windows 98.

REINSTALL WINDOWS 98, THEN DOWNLOAD FIREFOX 9.2 AND MAKE IT YOUR DEFAULT BROWSER. THEN DOWNLOAD SPYWAREBLASTER 3.2

YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM. BUT WATCH OUT AND CHECK THE SPYWARE OFTEN, AS EVERY TIME YOU DOWNLOAD AN EXTENSION THE PROTECTION FOR FIREFOX MAY BE DISABLED. :rolleyes:

5. remox

remox Registered Member

Hello Firefox and all other friends
    The removal of IE should not be excluded as a potential reason but...

After I tried FF and found it to work better than IE, I removed IE with IEradicator2001.
    I installed FF as my default browser, removed the "MS-java" machine and replaced it by the one from SUN ( I need to run an on-line application that needs a Java machine. The application works fine).
    Most programs I tested run faster and/or more stable after IE was removed. I had no single other problem until now.
    I uninstalled SWB (the wrong way I guess, without stopping the protections first, could I have screwed up the registry by doing so?).
    In the past I had Spyboth on my system but I had removed it some time ago, I searched if there was still something left from it, but could not find anything (did not searched in the registry, due to a lack of know-how).
    I'm not contemplating to reinstall W98 yet. In my opinion there should be a better way.
    The error message "unexpected error" is somewhat meager to work on.
    I get the error even when I start SWB without any the only application running. Maybe it could be useful to others if the real cause of the trouble could be detected and ad a more "verbose" error message could be added to SWB.
    Is there some file with the error logging concerned somewhere on the (W9:cool: system? or something that can be found to be wrong in the registry? or is there a way to run SWB in ( kind of) a debug mode?
    Whatever you come up with I'm ready to try it out.
    Regards to all,
    remox :)

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey remox,

Since SpywareBlaster is\was designed specifically for IE....this answer may have to come from JavaCool, the programmer of SpywareBlaster. As you may know....IE is very much a part of the OS and while it may appear Win98 runs smoother for you....I'm curious how you came to this conclussion.

My personal thoughts are that you should re-consider installing IE and simply not let it be your default browser but as I said in the beginning....JavaCool will be a good source when it comes to knowing if IE needs to be at least installed for SpywareBlaster to run properly.

7. remox

remox Registered Member

Hello Buba,
    Thanks for your time.
    I have no idea if there could be a valuable reason for the people at JavaCool to look or not to look at the problem so I will not blame them in either case.
    But maybe they could be interested to find out about the” unexpected error”.
    Although it may look like the problem has something to do with the removal of IE, this still has to be proved. So far I have had no problem with any other MS-Office 2000 program or any of the programs that I run in a Java environment or directly under W98. Firefox works fine.

As far as the “feeling” that W98 runs smoother without IE is concerned I was not “measuring“ the difference in a scientific way, but I got a strong impression that some programs were running faster and that the whole system was more stable. There are a few game programs (that have to react on frequent keyboard interrupts) that ran rather slow and crashed often, now they fly. But I agree, this is not much of a proof. As soon as I have time I will try to write a (simple) test program to compare the performance in both situations on W98 with and without IE.
    Regards,
    remox

8. remox

remox Registered Member

Hello Buba,
    Today I downloaded and installed SWB again (on W98 without IE). This time it installed and ran without any error message. IE protection is not selected but Firefox is. So far no more problems. So I guess IE is not needed to run SWB.
    Regards to all

9. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

IE shouldn't be required to run SpywareBlaster. That said, since removing it completely usually requires third-party tools, I have not extensively tested SpywareBlaster on systems with all traces of IE removed.

I'm not really sure why you received that error, but I'm glad it seems to be working fine now. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.