SpywareBlaster item un-checked

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Rita, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

anyone know what this is.I check it in spyware blaster then the next time I look it's unchecked.How does that happen?
    sorry I didnt see it in the first post.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2004
  2. dog

dog Guest

3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Rita,

Is this happening right after you have scanned with one of your Spyware cleaning programs ?

@dog
    Sorry dog....we crossed paths and I was in the process of creating Ritas own thread to discuss her problem when you posted. Keeping problems separated is the best approach to maximize help.

4. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Bubba
    I hadnt scanned with anything between the time I checked it in SB and the time that I looked and it was unchecked.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hmmm....if you make sure it's checked in Spywareblaster and then go about your business....and don't run any scanners and then come back....it's unchecked in SpywareBlaster ?

I have seen at least 2 entries lately that AOL spyscanner is Falsely reporting and MaConnect Variant is one of them and Vloading is the other.

I am not saying AOL spyscanner is Falsely reporting your entries and this is what un-checked a valid entry in SpywareBlaster BUT....I would definetly look at that closely before thinking you are infected with malware causing this.

Recent thread with MaConnect Variant and Vloading:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55944

6. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi Bubba
    It's strange,I checked it in spyware blaster last night before I went to bed and I just now looked and it's unchecked again.I sure dont understand it.The computer wasnt even on last night.

7. NetTraveler

NetTraveler Registered Member

How did you check it if it wasn't on?? o_O

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I think it's safe to assume that Rita

1 - checked SWB before going to bed
    2 - shut off the PC
    3 - went to bed
    4 - woke up in the morning
    5 - turned the PC on
    6 - checked SWB again

in that order ;)

Is this correct Rita? and no scans/etc in between whatsoever?

9. Jimbo40

Jimbo40 Registered Member

Listen to what Bubba says and do. If you can solve the problem, please email me and let me know. The folks at AOL are telling to remove it which leaves the 2 entries open in Spyblaster.

Good luck, I'm no longer using Spyblaster.

10. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Unfortunately, the AOL people are wrong. This is not the first time that their automated spyware protection has incorrectly identified some other products "protection" as if it was malware and removed it - thus weakening protection, not increasing it.

Over here I believe it was said AOL's spyware protection may be Aluria's tool:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=36960

And that same tool was responsibile for all the problems with xxxtoolbar protection removal (there are a lot of threads on this):

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=35672

Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do from this end. Valid protections are being set and these other tools are clearing them. You can almost always see it by setting the protection in SpywareBlaster and then if the other tool is running (not always a scan, but sometime a real-time protection product that runs whenever your system is running), the protections get almost immediately unset. You can go back and forth all day, setting it and having the other tool remove it. :doubt:

The newer versions of AOL have their protection products running all the time in the background, so you don't even need to run a scan manually to have it do this.

11. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

True Detox--should have made it clear,I guess.no scans in between at all
    guess it's something that runs in the background as lwm said since I didnt do any scans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.