SPYwareblaster go crazy: U have no Mozilla/Firefox-account??!!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by racketeer66, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racketeer66

racketeer66 Registered Member

Guess What!
    That's what I call surprise!
    When regularly checkin' Spywareblaster (items -protection enabled? etc.) I discovered - gray spot / no option on Firefox- protection. I was unable to check enable protection to "bad places - Firefox cookies".
    Explanation: U have no Moz/Firefox account...
    Of course I have - that's my default browser!
    And my profile lies where it has 2 b: %Appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles...
    Make sense of it - I can't!
    I got so upset that I uninstalled Spywareblaster (I sent it 2 retirement) after one-year devoted service.
    But if some1 can come up with an explanation I'll be very grateful!

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

What version of Windows are you running?

And what is the full, expanded path to your Firefox profile directory (i.e. including the path for %Appdata% on your system)?

Thanks in advance. I'd like to have this fixed for the next version of SpywareBlaster. :)

EDIT: Also, have you made any changes to your Firefox configuration lately?

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

3. racketeer66

Thanx 4 Your helpin' intentions, here are the answers:
    1. Thoroughly updated WIN XP SP2
    2. C:\Documents and Settings\My name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox
    3. I am a devoted Beta-tester (Office12, Firefox 2.0Beta, Ewido4.0, A2, WinDefender etc.), so I always change my config. I download and install quite frequently. Right now I use FF 1.5.0.6 for browsin'. (thru DropMyRights as path)
    2 sum it up: I don't think that the forementioned factors justify the irregular and harmful ('cause it fails where it should not - potentially let nasties in the system).
    3. Still no explanation.:(

4. racketeer66

Javacool,
    How should I use Firefox-protection then?
    That is the question!

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

If you had enabled the Mozilla/Firefox protection before, and SpywareBlaster just recently stopped "seeing" Mozilla/Firefox, the protection is most likely still in place.

To double-check, browse to your Firefox profile directory and look for a file named "hostperm.1" (this should be in the same folder as your bookmarks.html file, etc). If it's there, it should have a whole bunch of domains blacklisted in it. If that's the case, the protection is still in place, even though SpywareBlaster can't verify that it is.

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. racketeer66

Hello.
    1. The "hostperm.1" is there where said, but after opening it with notepad I only see allowed items there, no blacklisted ones to be found.
    2. I haven't disabled Firefox-protection -it's simply gone, SB stopped recognizing Mozilla Firefox
    3. After unistalled and reinstalled Blaster it still aint able 2 c Firefox.
    4. There has to be some problem with Spywareblaster itself, since it's a new incident and has not happened ever before, and
    5. My Firefox folder is in place-and the application working smoothly.

Conclusion: Is there a way 2 fix this bug or do I have to forget this useful and userfriendly application which I came 2 like in the meantime?
    Br:
    Ivan

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I would suggest you take a closer look at how your use of DropMyRights might be affecting this issue. As you stated in this thread and in particular this post....you have "experienced some strange behavior on FFX's behalf (cookie-handling)". I will also point out that some of the other issues you were experiencing in the above mentioned thread were possibly caused by DropMyRights and also lack of knowledge of how certain programs interact with each other as mentioned in that thread. While it is a known fact thru many past threads in the Spywareblaster Forum that an issue exists as it relates to SB and Mozilla\Firefox protection....in almost all cases it has been found instead of there being a bug in SB it was determined to either be a mis-understanding on the part of the user as it relates to their layered protection or an anamoly un-related to Spywareblaster.

Regards,
    Bubba

8. racketeer66

It never has happened before though. I don't want to dispute on that - I've found SP a valuable program (one of my favorites), all I wanted is to share my experiences with the rest of U. After last installation "process" - which I executed after a thorough removal of all temp - and cache-files, "hostperm.1", also everything from "Local Settings" regarding Firefox- SBlaster again recognizes Firefox.
    Only issue is that I don't see those cookies as prohibited in "Safe Cookies" extension - but supposing the fact that SBlaster back at work it's just a minor issue of no importance.
    Thanx for the good and the bad words:) I am not a professional IT-expert - I cannot be professional in everything (speaking of program-interaction:)
    Had it been so i would not have asked for help in deep "despair":)

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

My deepest appologies even if I was not insenuating such and was simply feeding off one of the comments you made in regards to...."I am a devoted Beta-tester (Office12, Firefox 2.0Beta, Ewido4.0, A2, WinDefender etc.)" which caused me to assume wrongly and simply took that into account in my perception of your knowledge.

Having said that....I'll leave you in capable hands as javacool attempts to assist you further with your problem as it relates to his program.

Regards,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.