spywareblaster causes computer to freeze

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by calvinnhobbs, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calvinnhobbs

calvinnhobbs Registered Member

I have a Gateway computer with windows ME and a pentium 4. I had problems getting spywareblaster to install. I posted on the Spyware Warrior Hijack this Log forum and they referred me to this forum. They checked my log and said I had no spyware. (see the entry in Hijack this log from calvinnhobbs in Spyware Warrior-Hijack this log forum) In the SWB forum I found the posts in the forum about the interaction with the modem BCM V 90 modem on my gateway. (I got the same error message described in the posts referring to the modem)
    I followed the instructions to uninstall the modem, then install Spywareblaster, and change the file name on BCMDMCCP.vxd to BCMDMCCP.vxd.ccp and was able to install spywareblaster. Everything seemed fine. I then uninstalled Zonealarm using System Suite 5 uninstaller.
    I prefer the firewall from System Suite 5 and also use their antivirus protection. Now when I access the internet with IE, I can get on and surf around the net, but if I disconnect from the internet, the second time I try to access the internet, my computer freezes. I try to use alt, ctrl, del to end the lockup but nothing works. I ultimately have to cut power to the computer (at the surge protector-outlet plug) and restart the computer after plugging the power back in.
    I tried reinstalling zonealarm. uninstalling SWG and SWB. uninstalling modem.
    reinstalling the modem, SWG, and SWB. Scan for virus negative.
    Scan for spyware with Spybot and Adaware SE negative. System suite 5 check for hardrive errors negative. I tried restoring to settings from one month earlier without success. I never had a problem like this until I downloaded SWB. It seems like the problem has to do with redirecting the computer back to the internet after logging off the internet and some confusion with the modem (although I no longer get the BCM.....modem error message) I have a cable internet connection. The other computers in the house with the same shared cable access don't have any trouble logging on and off the internet. The most recent error messages have been:
    1)spyware guard runtime error 429, active X component can't create object 2) Win32Kernel core component is trying to connect to 192.168.1.1
    File C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.dll VERSION 4.90.3000
    process ID OxFFCFF163
    Also I see a new desktop icon "MXUI shell" that I hadn't noticed before.
    I will download the fix for the runtime error described in earlier posts for SWG.
    Any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  2. Under0ath

Under0ath Registered Member

Good Evening calvinnhobbs,
    This seems like a very odd problem.

Just to clarify: You have tried ctrl alt delete and looked to see if Internet Explorer is still running? You can find in the processes running tab. Search for Explorer and see if it is running. If it is, shut it down. When prompted, say YES to the message. If it isn't... This seems like an interestin problem.

3. calvinnhobbs

Sorry for the delayed response. Sometimes alt,clr,del will show task manager with IE running/busy and if I "end task" the desk top will appear and I can continue. Other times I try to "end task" and instead I get " Warning, the system is either busy or has become unstable, you can wait or restart with alt,clr, del." In these instances when I attempt to use alt,clr,delete to restart or get the task manager, the screen goes blank. Pressing enter or alt,clr,del cause the screen to alternate between blank and the "warning busy/unstable page" and I have to disconnect power to escape and restart. This is similar to what happened when I first downloaded SWB and tried to install it before I carried out the recommendations about uninstalling the modem and changing the name of modem file. By the way, why should changing the name of the modem fill make a difference and how did your advisors know this would be a fix?
    I also found that I couldn't update Adaware SE. I downloaded a fresh copy and was able to update and did remove 4 data miner spyware. As long as I stay connectted to the internet I can work as long as I want, it's when I try
    to close and then reopen IE that the computer freezes. Also recently I have disengaged SWG and SWB and that seems to help , but then I don't have protection. I did scan my hard drive (including the disc surface) and have correctted any errors so that my recent scans have shown no errors. I defragged the harddrive. Would downloading a different internet browser help? Does any of this make any sense to you? Do you have any other recommendations? Thanks Calvinnhobbs

4. Under0ath

Well, you say you are Using IE.

IE has many flaws in it and Microsoft seems to be just sittin on their arses doing nothing, therefore i recomend possibly trying Mozilla Fire Fox as an alternate Internet Browser.

It is free, easy to use and it much better than IE. However, you will still need IE in order to perform Windows Updates.

http://www.mozilla.org/

Good luck.

If using this browser doesnt work, come back here and reply.

5. calvinnhobbs

Hey, maybe this will help! I was doing pretty well without crashes by disengaging SWB and was able to enter and leave the internet with IE without difficulty, so I tried enabling SWB. Immediately I was unable to access any internet site - got the "unable to find server" message. SWG and my firewall settings were unchanged. I disabled SWB but still no access to the internet pages, the same result "unable to find server" message. I closed IE and tried to sign back on to the internet at my home page, but comuter froze. Task manager was unable to terminate IE and I had to cut power to computer and restart after reconnecting power. When I restarted I got this message "The system detected a conflict for IP address 192.168.1.101 with the system having hardware address 00:OC:41:64:26:73
    The interface has been disabled"

Does this conflict message shed any light on the problem with SWB and IE?Any suggestions? Maybe I should buy an Apple computer? what do you think? CnHs

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

7. calvinnhobbs

Hi snowbound: I did get the fix for the time run error and have not had any more messages referring to time run errors. I did follow your link about the new desk top icon and I do run System Suite 5 from VCOM so I'm not to worried about that - thanks for the link. My main problem is computer freeze when I leave the internet and then try to regain access to the internet. I can avoid the freeze by restarting my computer instead of closing IE. Does the address conflict message I described above o_O give any hint about what is wrong? This freeze occurs even if SWB is disengaged.
    Should I uninstall SWB? thanks again CnHs o_O

8. calvinnhobbs

I googled the IP address 192.168.1.101 I think this is related to the fact that I use a Linksys Router to support cable access to the internet for all the computers in the house. How can I determine what device is represented by the six paired characters 00:0C:41:64:26:73 in my conflict error message? Does this represent SWB? CnHs

9. calvinnhobbs

After a recent freeze, I noticed that the task manager shows my modem bcm... program is running even thought I have a cable connection. Could the conflict referred to in the above error message be between the linksys router and the bcm modem? Does SWB somehow facilitate this conflict? Can I disable my modem without uninstalling it and still be connected via my cable hookup through my router? Please help; CnHs

10. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I wish i could help u further with this but i'm not exactly sure where the problem lies.....

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge of this will come along with the solution for u.

Good luck.

snowbound

11. Under0ath

Calvin, I suggest you possibly call Linksys and explain your problem to them. Yes, it might be possible that spyware blaster is the cause of this. I recomend you tell the Linksys Representative that this problem started occuring after you installed this program. If they are unable to help you, maybe you can call Microsoft and they can assist you.

Good Luck,
    Under0ath

Here is the number for Linksys:
    (800) 326-7114

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey Calvin,

We have had a number of recent threads dealing with the BCM modem and unfortunately do not know why it want play well with SpywareBlaster. While it appears....unless I missed something in re-reading your posts....that you may be down to a simple problem of the BCM modem ?

Before going to the trouble of contacting anyone....I would like to suggest you properly remove the BCM modem software via Add\Remove Hardware or via your choice of removing it. If your so inclined....I would also suggest that right after you remove the software and before re-booting....that you shut your PC down and physically remove the BCM Modem....unless you feel you need it for emergencies. This will in no way effect your Internet access or router but it sure will confirm if the BCM Modem is the culprit....similar to the below thread.

Recent WinMe thread with BCM Modem---> Impossible to run SpywareBaster on ME

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.