SpywareBlaster blocking Coolsavings.com

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by hotsam34, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hotsam34

hotsam34 Registered Member

I'd like to allow this website, but I can't find it in either the Internet Explorer or restricted sites pages. I used find, but can't seem to find it to allow it. This site prints coupons to the printer - and I know it's in there somewhere b/c when I allow all, it works!!

Any help you can provide would be great!!

Thanks!

Bob

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, it doesn't look like that site is in either SpywareBlaster or Spybot S&D. It is in Eric Howes' IE-SpyAd. And, not related to the IE restricted sites list, it is in some Hosts files for blocking spyware sites.

3. hotsam34

Thanks for the reply!

It has to be in Spybot b/c once I removed the immunization, the Coupon Manager worked perfectly. I then installed SpywareBlaster as suggested by Spybot so I could allow only the Coupon Manager to come through. Once I activated SpywareBlaster (w/o any Spybot immunization), I once again could not install the Coupon Manager. Once I removed protection in SpywareBlaster, I could then again install the Coupon Manager. So, I've got to believe it's in there somewhere -- possibly under a different name. I sent a note to Coolsavings.com asking them for their CLSID so I could search SpywareBlaster that way, but I'm not holding my breath.

You can try for yourself -- go to coolsavings.com, register (a pain, I know!<g>), then try printing coupons w/either Spybot immunization or SpywareBlaster active...

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, we are talking about two different but somewhat related things - restricted sites lists and the CLSID's of ActiveX controls. Checking the three products mentioned, the restricted site entry only appears in IE-SpyAd, not either of the others. However, from your research it certainly looks like the particular ActiveX control present on that site is in both SpywareBlaster and Spybot. But be aware that an ActiveX control is not website specific. Allowing that control will allow it from anysite that uses it, not just that website. So, you should be careful.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

According to a few Google search links for Coolsavings clsid....it uses the Conducent Timesink clsid{549f957e-2f89-11d6-8cfe-00c04f52b225}....which is in SpywareBlasters Internet Explorer ActiveX protection.

CoolSavings Google link:
    Pest Patrol http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/c/coolsavings.asp

I also repeat what LWM said:

"be aware that an ActiveX control is not website specific. Allowing that control will allow it from anysite that uses it, not just that website. So, you should be careful"

6. hotsam34

You guys are awesome!!!!

I couldn't let it go, but you beat me to it! :(

I ran Ad-Aware after I allowed it coolsavings to install the Coupon Manager, ans sure enough, that exact same CLSID was picked up and identified as associated w/coolsavings. I then put that CLSID into SpywareBlaster and it came up w/Conducent Timesink...I thought "yes" -- I got it!! I was just coming on here to let you know what I found...never thought to google it...well done!!

I appreciate your words of widsom Bubba and LWM...I'll continue to monitor what it does on my PC -- but now my wife will be VERY happy that she can print her coupons again...

Thanks again -- I really appreciate your super quick (too quick<g>) responses!!

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Your more than Welcome....but the important thing is that the wife is Happy.

If she ain't Happy we ain't Happy :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.