SpywareBlaster Avenue A download error

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Stro, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stro

Stro Registered Member

When I attempted to download SpywareBlaster from the Major Geeks website last night, this message box popped up:
    Spybot S&D Resident (in the banner area of the box)
    Spybot S&D reports that you want to download “Avenue A, Inc.” This is a known threat. Do you want to BLOCK this download? (quotes & caps are as they appeared in the text area of the box).

I of course blocked the download. I attempted this download after I had scanned/fixed my PC with CWShredder, Ad-aware and Spybot S&D 1.2, then rebooted.

Interestingly, I downloaded (I think) SpywareBlaster from Major Geeks a few days ago when malware was on my PC. The download seemed to go fine, but when I tried to open SpywareBlaster, I got the message “The program has been damaged, possible by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus. Please reinstall it.” Someone with this same problem started a thread at Wilders Security forum. A Javacool moderator replied this is a known problem for PCs with CoolWebSearch infections and a fix should be incorporated in version 3.2.

Last night, since I thought I had eliminated all malware infections from my PC, I tried once again to download SpywareBlaster when I encountered the “Avenue A, Inc.” message.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I appreciate your assistance.
    Regards,
    Stro

2. BengalBob

BengalBob Registered Member

Avenue A, Inc is an online advertising agent. They go by the name aQuantive, Inc now. Alot of web sites use them. You will find it trying to dl all the time. sb will catch it. If you are annoyed by the blocking request, I believe you can go to sb's immunizing screen, at bottom check 'enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in ie and select 'block all pages silently.'
    Hope this sheds some light. Richard

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, that is correct. The Avenue A, Inc. cookie has nothing to do with the CWS infection problem that causes the SpywareBlaster execution issue. You can try one of the other download links listed on the main SpywareBlaster page. Those files come from different servers, and not all will trigger that cookie alert.

Having Spybot "block silently" is generally good advice just to stop the excessive alerting. The Avenue A, Inc warning is only a cookie, and it's hardly worth the trouble of having to click a block or ignore everytime.

4. Stro

Stro Registered Member

LowWaterMark & BengalBob,
    Thanks much for your input. I'll try downloading SpywareBlaster again tonight. Since Avenue A, Inc is only a cookie, I'll eliminate the cooking via Norton SystemWork's Cookie Cleanup function after the SpywareBlaster download.
    Regards,
    Stro

5. BengalBob

BengalBob Registered Member

I may be incorrect, but the sb blocking only applies to the dl of avenue a, inc. Blocking that dl shouldn't block your original dl request.(I'm sure LWM will correct me if I'm wrong.) Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.