SpywareBlaster and registry size

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by MikeBCda, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

This might have already been covered here somewhere (maybe many times), but humor an old lazy guy ...

I know SB adds a great many entries to the registry, particularly with regard to restricted sites, that weren't (normally) there before.

Any ballpark figure on how much bigger (in terms of file sizes) the registry is as a result, with all IE and Firefox protection enabled on an XP-home system?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'm not sure what you mean by "(normally) there before"....but SB has been providing restricted site protection for quite a few years.

If one was to export only the relevant IE ActiveX Compatibility(ActiveX protection), P2P\History(Cookie protection and Domains(Restricted Sites protection) registry key entries and associated data values that SB adds to the registry....the "ballpark figure" would be 1.75MB of .reg file size.

ActiveX=1,044 KB
    Cookie=698 KB
    Restricted Site=52 KB

As for Firefox....it does not save it's info to the registry in regards to SB's Firefox cookie protection.

HTH,
    Bubba

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks, Bubba. Obviously Active-x items make up the biggest part, and it was a little surprising to see that IE restricted sites are only a tiny fraction of the total, or at least take up the least space.

As for the "before" thing, I just meant before using SB. Like most non-experts, I didn't do too much in the way of manual additions to restricted sites -- Comet cursors was the only one that sticks out in memory. So there's far more now, after letting SB do its thing.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

You are Welcome Mike and while all the ActiveX\Restricted Site entries are solid ones and their respective numbers are 3357\2631....some of the difference in size\space has to do with the fact that an ActiveX compatibility registry entry is somewhat bigger in size character wise than a Restricted Site Domain entries.

BTW Mike....if you surf much with IE you might want to consider adding either IE-Spyad for Zoned Out or even TNT's Restricted Site block list for additional Restricted Site protection. Each of those have solid site entries numbering in the 20K.

HTH,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.