Spywareblaster and PDF files

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by danielsan, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danielsan

danielsan Guest

I can't download PDF forms anymore in IE. I think that the Active X control was disabled by one of my anti- spyware programs. Anytime I try to d/l a pdf that brings up a dialog saying file type Adobe Acrobat Control for Active X, I get an error saying the IE was not able to open the Internet site.

I have installed Spywareguard, Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster. I tried reinstalling Adobe Acrobat to no avail. After searching this forum and elsewhere, I am not sure how to resolve the issue. I ran HiJackThis(log below). Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Mod Note ~HijackThis log removed - Please see my reply below - snap

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2004
  2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi danielsan,

I have removed the HijackThis log from your post as it was not requested by one of our staff members. Please see our posting policy on HijackThis logs, which also contains a link to other sites that do HijackThis log analysis and cleaning. Announcement

You could try disabling all of SpywareBlaster's protection which would let you know if SpywareBlaster is the program causing the problem.

Regards,

snap

3. danielsan

danielsan Guest

Doh! Sorry, I did this because in searching past posts it seemed common to be asked to post this log so I thought I'd just save a step.

I had already tried disabling and then uninstalling Spywareblaster, SpywareGuard and Spybot S&D but still no luck. I did this several times and uninstalled one or more of the programs in order to try and isolate which program was the culprit. I started using Mozilla when I needed to but unfortunately there are some sites that require IE. I also played with the security settings in IE to see if that was the problem.

4. snapdragin

Hi danielsan,

There was a thread here where someone else had a problem with downloading pdf files, and Javacool had suggested a re-install fixed the problem....though he didn't say clearly 'what' to reinstall, I'm fairly sure he meant reinstalling the Adobe Acrobat reader plug-in for IE.
    Can't download pdf files

You could try reinstalling the plug-in and see if it fixes the problem:
    Adobe Support

Please let us know if that works.

Regards,

snap

5. danielsan

danielsan Guest

Re: Spywareblaster and PDF files - Solution found

I finally solved the problem. In the end, it had nothing to do with any of my anti-spyware programs. The program and solution can be found here

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812935

I unchecked "do not save encrypted files to disk" and the problem went away. I keep IE up to date so I suppose they never bothered releasing a fix for this problem.

Thank you very much though snapdragin for your help.

6. snapdragin

You are welcome danielsan, but it looks like you did all the work. :D

I am sure other's that come across a similar problem will be very greatful to you for your help!

Thank you, danielsan!

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.