Spywareblaster: ALL PROTECTION DISABLED

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by madalpal, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madalpal

madalpal Registered Member

Hey, y'all. I've always had Spywareblaster installed on the only 2 computers I've owned; 1 crashed, but now I have a Vista 32, home premium, SP2, latest massive updates from “patch Tuesday” (14 or so), & I just D/L Spywareblaster's latest updates from a few days ago, version 4.2??

Anyway, I check on Spywareblaster’s protection status a few times a day, b/c for a while—a few months ago—Spybot was disabling Spywareblaster’s protection from caselmedia.com when I Immunized Spybot. That somehow has gotten fixed. In 4 years rarely will a few Spywareblaster protection items b/c disabled, never known why. So I just click on "enable all protection."

But today, when I checked on Spywareblaster, ALL PROTECTION WAS DISABLED! I only visit safe sites & always use InPrivate from IE8, daily using at least 1 of the many online scanners, in addition to my installed programs, & always come up clean.

So, has anyone else reported this recently?? Is this a known issue?? What should I do to verify if this was a fluke, maybe one-time only situation? Any help or comments welcomed. Thanks. Al

2. mildchild

mildchild Registered Member

I just posted this down below, did you ever find an answer??
    I have spywareblaster and I was wondering if someone could tell me how to get rid of a virus that keeps trying to turn off my protection for FireFox in spywareblaster. An anti virus program told me it is a worm (Trojan backdoor I think it said) called RECYCLERWin32.B.du. The virus cleaners ( I used more than a few) keeps saying it's cleaned but it's still there after two hours of scanning in safe-mode. Please help?? Thank you

3. madalpal

Hey mildchild. You're the 1st to reply, so I have not had an answer as of now. I don't know if our problems are connected, so a solution to either or both of our concerns has to come from a moderator from the forums, or another knowledgeable member.

BTW, since you stated that:"...a virus that keeps trying to turn off my protection for FireFox in spywareblaster. An anti virus program told me it is a worm....", how much of your protection does it say is disabled, like a few, many, or all protection disabled?

Also, in my limited experiences, & until we hear of some solutions, you might want to Google the worm name, or send the info to virustotal to scan & see how many of their 20+ anti-virus programs say it's malware, or possibly a false positive, especially if your other AVs say your comp is clean. Hope this helps. Al

4. mildchild

mildchild Registered Member

First, thank you for answering my question. :) Second Javacool wrote me and his solution worked for me. Here is his answer, I hope it helps too, thanks again! :D Hi,

SpywareBlaster's Firefox protection being repeatedly disabled may be unrelated to the other problems you're experiencing on your machine.

Firefox 3.5 has a new option under both "Clear Recent History" and "Settings for Clearing History" (when Firefox closes) called:

"Site Preferences"

If you check the Site Preferences option, any custom-configured site preferences (including cookie blocking, image blocking, pop-up blocks/allows etc.) will be cleared. This includes the protection that both SpywareBlaster and other tools like Spybot S & D set.

The simple solution? Don't check the "Site Preferences" box. In most circumstances, there's absolutely no reason to clear them. (i.e. You probably want to keep them.) :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. madalpal

Hey again. So it seems that after your Firefox issue was resolved, then you do NOT have a worm after all, correct? Great. Glad to help & to have your input.

However, while Javacool replied to you & resolved it, I still have not heard from anyone about having ALL protection disabled; altho it hasn't happened again (yet)--it's only been a few days now since it happened. I use IE8, so I'll just have to wait for help, & say glad your OK now. Al

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

My apologies for the delay - I wanted to run a few tests with the latest versions of common security apps (anti-virus + security suites) to help rule out any obvious potential causes.

Other security apps and "cleaning" tools have, in the past, erroneously flagged (and removed) some of SpywareBlaster's protection. It's quite possible one of them messed up again recently, but corrected it quickly thereafter.

If it hasn't happened again, I wouldn't worry about it. :) If it does happen again, please try the following to see if you can reproduce the problem:

1.) Re-enable SpywareBlaster protection.
    2.) Re-run each of the scanning/cleaning/security tools you've run recently (including web-based scanners) one-by-one, opening SpywareBlaster after each to rule out potential culprits.

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

7. wallah

wallah Registered Member

Have been using SPywareBlaster in conjunction with SpyBot for years now, and have been happy! Have never felt the need to come to the forums till update to FF 3.5.5...couldnt figure why 230 'restricted sites' kept having protection disabled, the same number each time. Yup I had ticked the site preferences box to be cleared on closing FF
    thanks for a simple fix to a frustrating problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.