SpywareBlaster 3.3 updating issue

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by aurelius, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aurelius

aurelius Registered Member

I get the same problem. Uninstalled 3.3 and reinstalled 3.2 and the Check for Updates finds the connection without a problem, except it wants me to download and install 3.3 which will not be able to check for updates unfortunately (W2K) .... o_O

Changed Option to same setting as for 3.2 which works i.e System Connection

Error message "Error Connecting to Update Server"

The only thing I can figure atm is that there is something different in 3.3 that is causing this as I know it works fine 3.2 (except 3.2 demands update to 3.3 or so it would appear, and 3.3 will not work for me :doubt:

... I found out that I can get 3.3 to connect via the 'alternative option'. SB says to try manual proxy setting first and only use 'alternative download option' as a last resort. However there is no info I can find on any of this, i.e:-

a) how to get the proxy settings, and

b) what is happening with the 'alternative method' that means it should only be selected as a last resort... kinda has me curious ...

I'd appreciate the info, thanks.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I split your post here so it's a bit easier to find. :)

What security/privacy programs do you have installed on your system? Such as:
    -antivirus
    -firewall
    -proxy
    -ad-blocking
    -other anti-spyware
    -anti-trojan
    -etc.

Also, what are your connection settings in Internet Explorer? Do you have IE going through some sort of proxy?

(Also, please try checking the "Use Alternative Download Method" box in SpywareBlaster's Updates > Options section.)

EDIT: And what version of Internet Explorer do you have installed? Thanks!

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

3. aurelius

Hi

I can't find any info on setting the proxy connection.

It works with Alternative Download ok but the message I get implies that this is not the best option. Can you explain what happens with this last option? I don't generally like using the least best option ;)

I have no (proxy etc) connection settings in IE. I go through a LAN/Router type setup. i.e wireless ap/cable modem.

I use SWB, Spybot SD, Avast and LavaSoft SE Personal.

System Connection option (second one) worked fine with 3.2 no problem.

IE version is latest version 6.

thankx

4. aurelius

Everything fine now. Many thanks.

Both direct and alternative methods work now.

a

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.