SpywareBlaster 3.2 released!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yippee,

SpywareBlaster works perfect with Firefox 0.9.2 now.

Thanks for the quick fix.

Just hope Firefox won't have its profile structure changed too often in the future.

2. conantat1

conantat1 Registered Member

If you uninstall version 3.1 of SpywareBlaster to download version 3.2,what happens to all of your protected sites from 3.1?Please excuse my ignorance-someone else installed this for me[version 3.1]and I'm clueless on how to transfer my protected sites to 3.2.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You don't have to worry about that. The new version of SpywareBlaster will handle applying all protections for you. In fact, it includes additional updates right inside the install kit (in this new v3.2) then were available in the last defintions update for SpywareBlaster 3.1. So, just upgrade, run v3.2, and tell it to Enable All Protections and you will be set.

4. ajp

ajp Guest

I haven't seen an answer to the questions about Mozilla yet. I have the same problem - uninstalled v3.1 of SB, installed v3.2 and now it does not recognise Mozilla (in my case it is Mozilla 1.6 on Win98SE). I can understand about FireFox as the application directory was moved between v0.8 and v0.9 but Mozilla itself still uses the same directory AFAIK so why does SB v3.2 not detect it?

Note: I also saw a crash at one point but I restarted and did the same again and all seems ok. Odd!

5. Any Name

Any Name Guest

Re: SpywareBlaster 3.2 ignoring Firefox

Help, have read the whole thread and have not seen acknowlegement of SB 3.2 failing to "see" Firefox installed. I have Home XP SP2, SB 3.2, ZA 5.0.590.043, avast! Home 4.1.418. I am using Firefox 9.1 PLUS the new security patch.

When I opened SB it shows for Firefox "207 items have protection unenabled", I enable all protections and it then shows zero disabled, I close SB and then reopen: it shows 207 disabled again.

My firefox 9.1 was a clean install and SB 3,.2 followed SB install instructions.

TIA
    Buddy

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Re: SpywareBlaster 3.2 ignoring Firefox

Hi,

For protection to be properly enabled, please close all open Firefox windows and then start SpywareBlaster and enable protection.

Let me know if that fixes the problem.

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. Any Name

Any Name Guest

Re: SpywareBlaster 3.2 released! To Javacool

Java,

Already tried that (. Also so there is no doubt: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040626 Firefox/0.9.1 (note I installed Firefox security patch vs the new DL which does not update the version, although just turning shell to false does same thing).

Buddy

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Well that's odd.

Can you please send the following files to bugreports@javacoolsoftware.com :
    -profiles.ini (Should be under <user profile>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox)
    -hostperm.1 (From each profile location referenced in that profiles.ini file - they should be under <user profile>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles)

Also, could you please check those hostperm.1 files for odd permissions, such as read-only?

It sounds like it is somehow not getting proper write access to those hostperm.1 files.

Thanks,

-Javacool

9. Any Name

Any Name Guest

Java,

Its been sent, on looking at the hostperm file tried using notepad and just got a mess, if you can guide me on what to do, will give it a try.

Buddy

10. Hank1952

Hank1952 Registered Member

A friend of mine is having a little trouble with her new version of SpywareBlaster.

She has it set to automatically update automatically after she installed SpywareBlaster. She has given a small donation for the Option. The last few days she's been getting a small pop up upon booting stating that a update has been installed from SpywareBlaster, yet when she checks the amount of Definitions, they are always the same? "3022". Any ideas why she's getting this pop-up??

Hank: o_O

11. LowWaterMark

Well, 3022 is the current number of definitions in SpywareBlaster. The update date was July 7, though technically they were released with the new program version - 3.2, and there has not been a separate update yet. :doubt:

Is it every boot up? Did it start just when they installed 3.2, which was just released a few days ago so it sounds like it.

12. Hank1952

Hank1952 Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply: Yes, It just started after she Installed the new Version. She was just wondering why she was getting these pop-up notifications about new Signatures when there where none.

Edit: Yes, I do believe it is everytime see boots up.

Ken: ;)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2004
  13. AdultSwin

AdultSwin Guest

Hello:

Trying to install the version 3.2 this mistake goes out for me:

An error has occurred. To continue:

Press Enter to return to Windows, or Press
    CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart your Computers. If you
    do this, you will lose any unsaved information in all
    open applications.
    File Name: BCMDMCCP(01)+ 00000175 Error: 0D: 0028: C1516EB5

This computer not infected for virus, and there are no previous versions of the SpywareBlaster installed.
    O.S = W.Me

Thanks!
    Sorry for writing right here, not since this works.

14. hugomom

hugomom Guest

i will be using spywareblaster for the first time. will it have compatibility problems with trend micro's pccillin anti-virus? i have the 2002 version, but it's updated regularly. my o.s. is Win2k and my browser is mozilla 1.7.

thanks.

15. chew

chew Registered Member

Hi Hugomon

After getting some advice from this forum I installed the SpywareBlaster 3.2, then installed SpywareGuard 2.2 on top of what I have now, such as McAfee AV (latest), Spysweeper, ShootTheMessenger and Mozilla Firefox 0.92 Browser(I don't use extension whatsoever and I have Windows XP home ed.).

Oh ya ... SpywareBlaster 3.2 will work with Firefox 0.9.0 and above. (I switched from FF 0.9.0 to FF 0.92 within the last two weeks while SpywareBlaster 3.2 was installed there. It picked the Firefox up immediately with no problem at all for all versions.)

I also installed the same setup for my g.friend except her OS is Windows 2K. The rest remain the same.

I think you should be fine as the programme is suppose to co-exist with other AV programme(s).

They give us NO problem whatsoever.

Hope that helps.

Chew

P/s: Just read the instruction carefully before you install them. Use the official sites to download. Also please scan all downloads before installation.

16. ljcox

ljcox Registered Member

Re: SWB 3.2 - virused? McAfee says...

Hey - I keep trying to get Spyware Blaster v 3.2. No matter which mirror I download from, when I try to install, my McAfee virus software stops the installation and claims the .exe has W32/Gaobot.worm.gen.e, and wants me to delete the files.

Can someone help me with this?

17. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

My first reaction is, are you sure your McAfee defs are up to date? This was a false positive in one of their def updates which was fixed something like a couple of weeks ago.

18. bgreg

bgreg Registered Member

Hope you don't mind, very new user here. Spyware Blaster is awesome ! However, alot of people are having a conflict with another very good program and Spyware Blaster. Just read a dozen post on how they're trying to fix the problem. Seems when they set up their restricted sites section, ( on Spyware Blaster) and then try to run XOFTSpy, Xoftspy detects the registry files for SpyBlasters restricted sites. Thinking they have found spyware, they delete the entries, (say CoolWebSearch), when what they have really done, is eliminated the protection against the spyware. They are trying to change registies entries etc, to rid themselves of the spyware. All that's nec. is to set ignore entries, otherwise they are defeating the programming and inviting in the spyware. It's amazing the number of post i've seen by people who believe this is a new worm, regenerating itself after it's been deleted.

19. bgreg

bgreg Registered Member

just for the heck of it... Win XP Pro, Amd 3200, Nvidiaboard, 1.25gigs pc3200, 2-120 gig hrddrvs, Radeon 9800 w/ dual 19" monitors,dvd r/w, and about 30 programs just so i can go online safely amymore, haha.

20. LowWaterMark

Unfortunately, we've seen this a lot. Xoftspy is not the only software that simply scans for the existence of a domain name in the IE sites list, without checking the value (ie. meaning that the sites are actually in the restricted zone, not the trusted zone) and then removes it/them. Those products really need to check the values otherwise, as you say, they are weakening people's protection, not improve it. Of course SpywareBlaster is not the only product to add restricted sites. Many others do as well and of course those can be targetted and removed just as easily.

21. ljcox

ljcox Registered Member

Glad to hear it was a false positive. It's a machine on a LAN; I'm new here and not sure about how things are set up. I did manage to find out McAfee wasn't updating the defs automatically (it is NOW!) - and now SWBlaster will install BUT won't run - gives error message #1157, says MSVBM60.dll is missing? I've uninstalled, re-downloaded and re-installed; same error.

22. LowWaterMark

23. ljcox

ljcox Registered Member

Thanks - that fixed it; running now.

I hate legacy machines. They hire me to do the bookkeeping, then give the fast new machine to my boss (for email and Word...) and give me her old Win98 piece of junk... *sigh*

Thanks for taking time out of your day just to help somebody you don't even know! I promise to pass on the favor by doing just that for someone else when I can.

24. zomby

zomby Guest

I cannot minimize spywareblaster to the systray, if I close it, it closes the program does it only protect when you have it open?

25. zomby

zomby Guest

never mind found in the program:
    SpywareBlaster does not need to remain open for its protection to be active!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.