SPYWAREBLASTER 3.2 & MOZILLA FIRE FOX 9.2, BEWARE!!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by BlueFox, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueFox

BlueFox Registered Member

Ladies & gentlemen!!

I want to tell you of a discovery I made about mozilla fire fox 9.2. I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT FIRE FOX DISABLES THE PROTECTION OF SPYWAREBLASTER 3.2.

Many of you never checked Spywareblaster 3.2 once it is installed, to see if all protections are enabled.

OK here are the details as I found them.

1. When downloading any extensions or plug ins of fire fox 9.2, I found that that the protection of Spywareblaster 3.2, for Mozilla HAS BEEN AUTOMATICALLY DISABLED. And I had to manually enable the protection again.

2. I also found that even with out any downloads, Spaywareblaster 3.2 protection for Mozilla, after surfing the web for about an hour or so, is AUTOMATICALlY DISABLED. How I do not know.

3. I use FIRE FOX 9.2 as my browser. And by automatically I mean by no action on my part.

HERE IS MY CONCLUSION, I THINK FIRE FOX HAS FOUND A WAY TO DISABLE THE PROTECTION OF SPYWAREBLASTER 3.2. AND THIS IS A SERIOUS BREACH OF PROTECTION.

I ASKING THE SUPPORT STAFF TO PLEASE COMMENT ON THE ABOVE FINDINGS. AND PLEASE ASK OR EMAIL ME ANY QUESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE.
    I AM TIRED OF CONSTANTLY ENABLING THE PROTECTION FOR FIRE FOX, FROM SPAYWAREBLASTER 3.2.

AND FINALLY HAS ANY ONE OUT THERE HAS, OR FOUND THEY HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS STATED ABOVE? :'(

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I am in some pretty serious doubt that Firefox or the Mozilla crew have any intent to disable SWB protection. What would Mozilla/Firefox stand to gain?

3. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Hi - I just checked after reading your post. I did download Plug-In's for FF today. All protection is working in Spywareblaster. None of it is disabled. No problems here. Touch wood!! :eek:

4. Fats Navarro

Fats Navarro Registered Member

Similar problem to BlueFox. Just downloaded FireFox 9.2 and SpywareBlaster3.2,
    but SB tells me FireFox is not installed - so can't configure ...
    Any help anyone?

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi BlueFox and welcome to Wilders.

I also have Firefox 0.92 with a lot of plugins (probably too many) and SpywareBlaster 3.2. No problems. SpywareBlaster protection is still on.
    I did have Firefox and plugins installed first and then added SWB after.
    As far as I know, SpywareBlaster does not need to be running to provide protection. You only need to run it once and turn on protection then exit it. It sets kill bits in registry and blocks spyware cookies.
    There are some possibilities:
    1. Here is a thread that may answer Fats Navarro's question
    2. Compatibility issue with another antispyware program. I read somewhere on this forum about compatibility issues with Spybot S&D where removing protection on one may remove it from the other. I have both with no problems. But you might try isolating the issue by removing one by one other antispyware that you think may be conflicting with it and test it each time. Or try uninstalling SWB and then reinstalling it.
    3. (Hopefully not in your case) Some malware can cause problems for antispyware programs. You might try scanning with Spybot S&D, AdAware, and any other malware scanners just in case.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  6. Franks27

Franks27 Registered Member

Hi all,
    Further to my Netscape Mozilla message below have just uninstalled SpywareBlaster v3.2 (Using uninstall instructions for 3.1) and reinstalled v3.1, now have Mozilla/Firefox protection enabled. Nothing else has been altered, running latest updates of Adaware and Spybot. Is the problem something in the update to v3.2?
    FrankS

7. MCT

MCT Registered Member

u have 2 run firefox 1 time BEFORE u try 2 set protections, so firefox can fully "unload" itself, by creating folders in the "application data" directory.( Which is where spyware blaster looks 2 see if its installed)

regards

8. chew

chew Registered Member

No problem here at all with SpywareBlaster 3.2. Everythingis working fine and smooth and I got all the latest version for both.

I never use extension etc., so I don't know. The present Firefox brower (just plain Firefox 0.9.2. = Safe Mode) is more then enough for me.

So there you go.

Chew:)

9. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI Bluefox, welcome to forums.

Couple things to try, although you probably have already done the first.

OK, I presume you already have run Firefox, if it's running close it.

Fix #1:

Open SpywareBlaster, and UNPROTECT all of the settings, the lot of them.

Now close SWB then reopen and reinstall the protection on ALL of them.

Close SWB.

Open Firefox and then go to :

Tools/Options/Privacy/Cookies and Click on the "Exceptions" You should see a whole list in there now which is SWB's Firefox additions to BLOCK the nasties.

Now, close Firefox, reopen SWB and see if it "stuck" this time.

Next Post Fix #2.

TAS

Attached Files:

• 019.GIF
      019.GIF
      File size:
      20.1 KB
      Views:
  10. Tassie_Devils

Fix #2:

If #1 did not work, reopen SWB, UNINSTALL all fixes again.

Close and Open Firefox.

Go to Tools/Options/Web Features/and beside the Images button Click on the "Permissions" button. [see pic]

If there are any images in that window, select and delete them all.

Close FF, reopen SWB, reinstall ALL protection again, close.

Reopen FF and then re-open SWB, see if it worked this time.

Attached Files:

• 018.GIF
      018.GIF
      File size:
      10.1 KB
      Views:
  11. Tassie_Devils

Just for info, SWB itself does not "disable" protection, it's a glitch between FF and SWB somehow.

The trouble being that a lot of people did an "overtop" install of SWB 3.2 instead of uninstalling protection, deletion of 3.1 and install 3.2 version OR, they simply uninstalled 3.1 without first uninstalling protection.

AND... they maybe tried to install protection in SWB while Firefox was running, and that does not take in some cases.

I had the same problem but Fix #1 [even though I had uninstall protection and 3.1, *but* I think I had FF running when I tried 3.2 Protection installing] worked for me, while "dog" *puppy* [another member] found Fix #2 worked for him as he had some images in there which I did not.

I hope this resolved it for you mate. :)

Cheers TAS

12. BlueFox

Reply to TASSIE DEVIL *puppy*

I use windows 98, Fire fox 9.2.

On fire fox I allow only two exceptions for cookies, I DO NOT ALLOW COOKIES ON FIRE FOX, enable cookies box is let blank no check mark.

I do have SPYBOT S&D installed. I WILL UNINSTALL SPYBOT S&D. And check to see if the problems occur.

A LOT OF MONEY IS INVOLVED IN SPYING ON COMPUTERS, ADVERTISERS WANTS INFORMATION AND THEY PAY BIG BUCKS FOR IT.

I DO DISABLE AND ENABLED SPYWAREBLASTER AS RECOMMENDED BY THE DEVIL *puppy*

I WILL YOU UPDATED ON THIS SITUATION. IT MAY BE A VULNERABILITY OF WINDOWS 98.

13. AntiSerious

AntiSerious Registered Member

... lose the caps ...

... why are you shouting so much ? ...

... I run W98SE and Fox 0.9.2, and your 'problem' seems similar to one I had after the original 3.2 upgrade ... I'd wager that tassie's fix # 2 will correct the 'problem', but I HIGHLY doubt this is a Firefox conspiracy ... or anyone else's conspiracy, either ...

... f w i w ...

14. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

I'm also running 98SE and FF 0.9.2 - no problems with SWB. As others have said, I highly doubt that there is any sort of 'conspiracy' involved here.

15. Tassie_Devils

Yes AntiSerious and Danitall, conspiracy theories abound anywhere, **we** know that it's a crock, but someone maybe new to it all would have second thoughts. :) [Benefit of the doubt given there, lol]

However in this case, I don't think Bluefox has follwed 'all' tips given, or he/she did not indicate such in last post.

Bluefox, have you tried both tips. If so, and still does not work, there was one more I was reluctant to give, that's deletion of Firefox's Profile [where on 98 I do not know, but in XP it's C:/Documents & Settings/**username**/Application Data/Mozilla/Firefox].

You can delete the folder and restart FF, but you will lose any themes/extensions, have to reload those. FF will rebuild new profile. Then start over again with SWB ~ uninstall protection/reinstall/restart FF.

OR... simply uninstall FF but you should delete the whole Mozilla folder where profiles are kept just in case the profile was corrupt.

Reinstall FF. run it, close it... then once again the usual with SWB.

Other than that, I cannot help any further.

Cheers, TAS

16. BlueFox

I do not have the problem any more. I did uninstall Spy Bot, as when ever I started the Spy Bot program I would get a box saying there is a problem but it is not serious. It seems to not like other spy ware programs I have.

Since uninstalling Spy Bot, I notice the protection for Fire Fox remains enabled.

I think my problem as been solved.

Thanks Devil *puppy*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.