SpywareBlaster 3.2 installs OK but won't open

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Shas, Jul 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shas

Shas Registered Member

I had been running version 3.1 with no problems at all. Removed it and downloaded v.3.2 today; the download and installation went fine but the programme won't open. I get the message that SpywareBlaster has performed an illegal operation and caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel 32.dll @ 017f:bff886df.

Nadirah on this forum suggested defragmenting, which I have done. I have also checked for viruses, adware/malware/spyware - all clear. I managed to open the programme once in safe mode but as soon as I reboot and try to open normally, I get the above message again. I have also tried to open it with firewall and antivirus disabled, but no luck.

I found a download site which still offered v.3.1 which downloaded, installed and opened ok, but as soon as I tried to get the latest protection update, I was directed to the 3.2 upgrade and back to square one.

Any help would be appreciated. (I'm running Windows 98SE.)

2. Neil Parks

Neil Parks Guest

Just a guess, but possibly the KERNEL32.DLL file is corrupted?

I use Win ME so not sure if this also applies to 98: Run MSCONFIG, click "Extract File" to try and reinstall the named file. If it asks for a source directory to extract from, try \WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS.

3. Heirloom

Heirloom Registered Member

Shas,
    I am having the exact same trouble........Javacool is aware and working on it. The XP folks don't seem to be having any problems....it seems to be the 98 based systems that are affected, I am running Me.
    Heirloom, old and hope it is fixed soon.

4. doedoebirds

doedoebirds Registered Member

Hi, Im running Win Me also and I'm having the same troble, It wont open.
    They should get all the bugs out before they release.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

There is no "they." This is Javacool, one man volunteering his time. As stated, he is hard at work on the problem which has been encountered. Obviously, the difficulty was not detected prior to release.

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Yep, this release was tested on almost every version of Windows, including Windows 98/ME, and no such problem was encountered. So this is certainly a bit of a puzzle, but that makes things more exciting anyway. ;)

Could all of you please e-mail me at bugreports@javacoolsoftware.com

In the e-mail please be sure to include:
    -Your username on these forums.
    -If you had a previous version of SpywareBlaster running and, if yes, what version. (Also, if you had a version of SpywareBlaster that wouldn't run.)
    -The brand and model of your computer
    -What security software you have installed, such as anti-virus, other anti-spyware, firewalls, etc.

I find this in particular interesting:
    Could all of you also try starting SpywareBlaster 3.2 in Safe Mode to see if it runs without the error?

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

7. Shas

Shas Registered Member

Hi Neil,
    thanks for the suggestion but I think that function is in System File Check in 98 - there's no 'extract file' bit in msconfig. I'll give it a go anyway and see.

8. Shas

Shas Registered Member

Hi Heirloom and doedoebirds
    I was beginning to think it was only me had the problem. I've emailed Javacool with the info he's asked for and we'll see what he can come up with!

9. Heirloom

To All,
    I, too, sent Javacool all my info, to include the fact that I can install and run the ver 3.2 from the Safe Mode. I did enable protection from the Safe Mode and am assuming, since it just sets kill bits in the Reg, that the protection should still be there when going back to the Windows mode.
    Of course, from the Safe Mode, I can't update because the cable modem doesn't connect. I am thinking that we could still do a manual update by downloading the 5 needed files while in Windows and replacing them in the Safe Mode....makes sense to me. Might be a work around until the issue is resolved.
    In any case, Javacool deserves a lot of praise for his excellent work. Good on ya, Javacool!!!

Heirloom, old and wish I knew how

10. Heirloom

Hi All,
    I think I just verified that protection has been enabled through activation in the Safe Mode. I looked, with regedit, at the following key:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility
    and there are volumes of CLSID's with values of 0x00000400 (1024), which I understand to be protection enabled (kill bit set).
    I don't see any reason why the manual updating wouldn't work by downloading the 5 needed files, replacing them in the SB folder and then rebooting to the Safe Mode to perform enabling. I know it is a clumsy way to do it, but, it is better than going without the protection!

Heirloom, old and it oughta work

11. Shas

Shas Registered Member

Hi Javacool,
    Have you had any luck in sorting this problem out? I've been a week without the protection now and it worries me a little.
    Many thanks,
    Shas

12. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I'm still trying to duplicate the issue - with very minimal luck, it seems.

I'll send you an e-mail as soon as I known more. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

13. doedoebirds

doedoebirds Registered Member

To Heirloom: Thanks for that solution. I'm going to try it right away. Bye now.

14. Givemebackmyname!

Givemebackmyname! Registered Member

Shortly after the release of 3.2 I found that if you save it's files, then re-install 3.1, you can copy the 3.2 files over the 3.1 files (except for Spywareblaster.exe) and it'll open as 3.1 but with the later database.

Save the 3.1 Spywareblaster.exe then replace the original with the 3.2 version and it'll open as 3.2.

I didn't test this, ie I don't know if it merely gives the appearance of protection rather than actually protection, but maybe it's a temporary workaround. I didn't try it with a database later than what 3.2 installs with.

I guess Javacool would know if you really can toggle the versions by switching only Spywareblaster.exe.

15. Heirloom

Givemebackmyname!,
    It sounds like what you are doing is working, if SB is showing 3,022 items protected from the original download. However, the total is up to 3,089 now.
    The real test would be if you can get the updates. Have a look at my post on Manual Updates Attn: Javacool, I have posted a workaround that is working for me, but, it requires running the SB GUI from the Safe Mode in Windows Me.
    I was not successful in using the links provided for manually updating, but, was able to get a friend to send me the 5 files from his update and all worked well....explained in my thread.

Heirloom, old and hope it's fixed soon

16. I'm also having a problem with SpywareBlaster 3.2 . The program installed fine, but when I attempted to start it up, the process spywareblaster.exe immediately takes 100% cpu and just sits there, nothing happens. I've tried uninstalling and installing it again, with the same result. Running Windows XP SP2, Pentium 4 1.8ghz, 1GB RAM.

17. Heirloom

Try it from the Safe Mode........worked for me, but, I am using WinMe.

Heirloom, old and not so safe

18. Turin

Turin Registered Member

Re: SHAS OR HEIRLOOM - SpywareBlaster 3.2 installs OK but won't open

Shas or Heirloom;

Have either of you been able to fix the "Run" problems with Ver. 3.2o_O I have the same problem as you, Ver. 3.2 installs, I get an icon on desktop but the program will not run, I get "This program has performed an illegal operation" message. I've been keeping an eye on replies to your posts but looks like no help has been provided to those of us who have Win 98\SE\ME. I posted twice, replied to myself seeking help but no luck so far, it sure is frustrating and being exposed to all the crap out there is a bit freightening. Anyway, I was just checking to see if either one of you has been successful in running Ver. 3.2 (or has received e-mail from Javacool with the fix) - If you have please reply and please post. Any ideas?? I don't want to give up yet. I had Ver. 3.1 and it ran fine, Ver 3.2 will not! Anyway, take care and good luck.

Turin

19. In reply to your posted message which I include below;- I am having the same problem.SPYWAREBLASTER caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff886b6.

KimmySlimpy123

20. Re: SHAS OR HEIRLOOM - SpywareBlaster 3.2 installs OK but won't open

I'm having same problem- I forgot to mention in my last post that I also have windows 98
    KIMMYSLIMPY

21. exocet

exocet Guest

Has this problem been fixed?

22. Turin

Turin Registered Member

I don't think the problem has been fixed. It's been a while, I am still waiting, rather; all of us using Win98\SE\ME are still waiting for a solution. I hope Javacool comes up with a fix soon. If anyone gets an e-mail or comes up with some answers, please post. Thanks all.

Turin

23. sengland

sengland Registered Member

I run Windows 2000 Professional and tried to update SpyBlaster today and it got a message of "Unexpected Error" and that's it. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it won't run; same error message. Since my message is slightly different than what's been posted, I'm not sure if it's the same problem or a different one! But it is SbyBlaster 3.2 that I'm trying to run.

Thanks for any help!

24. Heirloom

Kimmysimply and all,
    Not sure which thread I posted this in, so, here it is again:
    I have SB protection enabled by virtue of doing so in the Safe Mode. I am getting the Kernel32 errors, Invalid Page Faults in details, when I attempt to open the SB GUI in Windows mode.
    My workaround is to get someone to send me the 5 files from their SB folder AFTER they have updated. Downloading the files from the SB site does not work for me since they are compressed on the server and it is up to the SB app to decompress them. However, replacing these files (you can do this in Windows mode) will allow you to open the GUI in Safe Mode and enable protection or whatever else you want. Since the protection is simply setting the 'kill bits' in the Registry, they remain after rebooting to Windows mode.
    I still haven't received an answer to my question about the compressed files being available in an uncompressed format or if there is another way to open them besided the SB app. Oh yeah, FYI, the 5 files are:
    sbdatabase.dtb
    sbdatabase2.dtb
    sbinfo.dtb
    ckdatabase.dtb
    rsdatabase.dtb
    Hope this works for you........I wouldn't like being without the protection, either!!! I have faith in Javacool......he'll get it.

Heirloom, old and waiting patiently :)

25. wjappe

wjappe Registered Member

I had the same problem with my Dell computer win98se and I have another computer running win98se which did not have the problem.
    The computer that was okay has Trend cillen 2000 anti-virus on it. The problem machine had Kaspersky anti-virus on it and no matter how much I tried to remove and reinstall SpywareBlaster 3.2 it would not start and give me a corrupted file or a virus problem message.
    My copy of Kaspersky was going to expire soon anyway so I tried removing it and when I tried to reinstall and run SpywareBlaster 3.2 it worked.
    I installed Trend cillen 2000 anti-virus and updated it and tried to run SpywareBlaster 3.2 it still worked.
    I don't know if this helps anyone but it might give a clue of what the problem is.

wjappe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.