spywareblaster 3.1 'eating' database files!!!???

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by deviantchild, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deviantchild

deviantchild Guest

after initial install it is okay, but on successive runs it returns a "database error" - looking in the directory reveals that the database files have all been hosed
    i cannot access any updates from within the proggy - it says "using 'safe' download method" and just hangs there
    i can only access one of the five database files provided on this site: sbdatabase2.dtb
    when i manually added this one file it disappeared after trying to run SWB
    cunningly i tried again, but this time setting the file as "read only" - the file remained but had it's name altered to "sbdatabase2old.dtb"

have i got something really really nasty on here despite having all of the following?:-
    [all latest definitions etc. as of today]
    hijackthis
    spywareguard
    cwsshredder (although cws does keep trying to hit me!!!)
    spybot s&d
    adaware
    trojanhunter
    etc. etc. + lots of other small security hole plugs, tweaks and patches in place
    many 'services' loopholes closed
    many websites restricted, activex blocked, cookies manually handled, sunjava (latest) w/ nothing dodgy in my /jar directory
    i don't have any AV protection - i just use Housecall periodically online

tia for any info

2. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Please don't think I'm being rude or anything, but - ARE YOU NUTS?!?! (Now that I've gotten that off my chest ...)

It sounds like you have something in your system that is actively seeking out and destroying the SB files, but have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling SB? If so, go to Housecall and run a scan, then go here and follow the directions given.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall having read of this particular problem elsewhere in these boards.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'll have to agree with dangitall, or at least what he was trying to get at -- get yourself a-v protection! We're of mixed opinions about which is best, but ideally you'll want one that offers both scanning and resident ("background", on-the-fly) protection. My personal choice is avast!, which you can get here -- the Home version is free, and support for all versions is by means of excellent forums quite similar to the ones here.

4. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

The first thing to try:

1.) Open SpywareBlaster
    2.) Click on the "Updates" tab (or the "Check for Updates" link
    3.) Click on the "Options" button at the top of that screen.
    4.) Uncheck the option named "Use Alternative Download Method"

That said, it does sound as if something may be deleting those database files on purpose. But please first try the steps above, and then run the integrated updater.

Best regards,

-Javacool

5. deviantchild

deviantchild Guest

thx JavaCool Guy :)
    i didn't know that page existed within SWB - i actually had to try a few times and mess with my proxy settings (my ISP likes to use a cache :( ) but i got there in the end
    i also temporarily disabled a lot of protection, so that may have helped... and that, is part of my argument against having AV protection - i am someone who likes to tweak and tweak and most AV protection is a blight
    as i said, i use Housecall regularly
    i'm on dial-up btw - if i was on broadband i'd consider some HW protection
    haven't been hit in 7yrs online tho' many have tried - getting rather good at spotting erroneous filenames and detecting suspicious activity
    thx to all anyway :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.