Spywareblaster 3.1 degrades system

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Hangmancreek, Jun 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hangmancreek

Hangmancreek Registered Member

I installed release 3.1 yesterday on my Win 98 system and have been suffering with a badly degraded response time on my PC. It was so bad I couldn't even log into the internet. I finally disabled all Spywareblaster protection and rebooted the OS. Usually there is an "uninstall" function provided with software but I can't find one with Spyblaster. Can I just delete the files and be done with it?

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

SpywareBlaster shouldn't be able to affect the performance of your PC in any manner, especially not in that severe a manner.

Could you please follow the instructions here and post a HijackThis log in this thread? We can take a look and see if there's anything in it that could potentially be causing those issues.

And a quick question for you: Did performance return after you disabled all of SpywareBlaster's protection in the program? If not, SpywareBlaster isn't at fault. (If it did, it's possible you have an odd spyware component on your machine that we can guide you through removing - although I certainly haven't heard of anything like this happening before when enabling SpywareBlaster's protection.)

EDIT: And one more question - have you recently installed Spybot 1.3 around the same time? It includes a "teatimer" resident component that has caused problems on some select machines.

Best regards and thanks,

-Javacool

P.S. There is an uninstall option in "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel, but I'd like if we could try to get to the bottom of this before going that route - if possible. :) Thanks!

3. MCT

MCT Registered Member

ya, as javacool says, it shouldn't effect performance, it only adds registry entries..

maybe try doing a registry clean too, maybe u have alot of old junk that needs 2 be removed.. that can slow performance down lots, also, remove temp files & internet temp files

easiest way (for 98 ) is to goto windows directory then "Temp" Folder, then remove everything there (nothing should be needed there)

then goto the temp internet folder (i think its in windows directory for 9:cool: and delete the files there

hope this helps (do what javacool says first, then try this if your still experiencing problems)

PS- its been like 2 yrs since i used 98 :p

4. Hangmancreek

I checked my Hijack This Log and nothing was amiss there. I do have Spybot 1.3 also running and maybe there is a conflict between it and Spyblaster 3.1.

I'm pretty sure the "problem" has something to do with Spyblaster because when I disconnected all of it's checks and rebooted my "slow down" troubles disappeared.

5. javacool

The teatimer component of Spybot has been known to cause slowdown issues on a few select machines - that may/may not be a component of it in this case.

I should note, however, that there are no conflicts between that component (or anything else in Spybot) and SpywareBlaster.

Would you be willing to try enabling SpywareBlaster's protection again? Just to make sure it isn't an odd quirk? (Also, if the slow-down appears again, does another reboot clear it up without disabling SpywareBlaster's protection?)

Again, SpywareBlaster's protection shouldn't be able to cause any slow-down issues, as nothing is running in the background - it sets registry entries.

Thanks,

-Javacool

6. Hangmancreek

OK, I've re-enabled Spyblasters checking and ran a virus check of my system. Everything seems to be functioning alright (i.e. "not slow"). I'll keep watching it and report back tomorrow (or sooner) if it slows down.

One of the "slow down" symptoms was a very slow reaction time on the cursor movement, but it hasn't started doing that yet.

I'll keep you posted.

7. Hangmancreek

Another day and still no "slow down" so I guess whatever was wrong in my PC was corrected just by the reboot. Sorry to have blamed you, Spywareblaster! Consider this problem closed. :)

8. javacool

Glad to hear it! :cool:

Thanks for giving it another go.

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.