SpywareBlaster 3.0 released!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slater

Slater Registered Member

OK, I see the CLSIDs now. When I first installed the product, the list was at the bottom where the cookies were and I didn't scroll to the top to see the ActiveX killbits.

Also, could you clarify the business licensing. SB is free for personal use, but the only way to "pay" for SB is to buy an auto-update subscription. So what if you don't need to or want to auto-update the definitions? What then?

Finally, someone else in this thread had an excellent idea about autoupdate servers. It shouldn't be that hard to get rid of the hard coded update location, instead allowing the user to type in an alternate location (the default could be the existing site). This way, companies could create local update servers, as well as others that are willing to provide internet mirror sites for SB updates - especially now that the definition files are that much smaller with v3.

Thanks,
    - Slater

2. Rick S

Rick S Guest

I had blaster vers 2.6...went to install 3.0 as instructed, everything appeared to work but when I open spyware blaster it still says version 2.6? I tried again....same result.
    Have I done something wrong?

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

Obviously businesses would benefit from being able to locally mirror SpywareBlaster updates - such a "network version" is very possible.

Stay tuned for updates! :D

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. Ian Bartlett

Ian Bartlett Guest

I have v.2.6.1 on Win95 and IE 5 which works fine. Will v.3.0 work OK? I couldn't see any info on OSs.

5. javacool

Yes, 3.0 should work ok. :)

(The AutoUpdate feature, an additional component, is not compatible with Windows 95. However you can still use the normal Check for Updates feature built-into the program.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. Ian Bartlett

Ian Bartlett Guest

Many thanks, Javacool. I didn't uninstal v2.6.1 but removed protection and installed 3.0 over v.2.6.1. It all seems to work fine at present. I don't have "settings" any more and wondered what "restricted sites" were about but I presume they are likely to give you nasties and are all to be avoided. Nice looking format too and colourful compared to 2.6.1.

7. cheflis

cheflis Registered Member

I just downloaded and installed the latest version of SpywareBlaster, but I keep getting an error when I try to update it. My ZA just happens to be off too, since I always shut down all running programs when installing anything, so that couldn't be the problem, as the error suggested. Has anyone else encountered this problem? if so, did you find a way to remedy it?

8. cheflis

cheflis Registered Member

Please disregard the message above. I rebooted, and it worked fine :)

9. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Javacool said:

Obviously businesses would benefit from being able to locally mirror SpywareBlaster updates - such a "network version" is very possible.

JC, thanks for the heads-up on this. In the past I've been a strong supporter of spywareblaster since your first version, however, after reading your post I immediately called my wife advising her to remove the program from all our computers and advise our friends to do likewise. We were devoted donators.....
    In light of how business are so fast these days to bundle un-known mess within good products I could never bring myself to use a network version. You remain well thought of and will be fondly remembered.

Regards

10. javacool

I think there may be a misunderstanding:

There would be a special version for business users with large networks that would help them conserve their bandwidth. Instead of businesses having to have every single computer download from my updates server, they could have all of their computers download from a local mirror of the update files.

Such a special version would only really benefit businesses - there would still be the normal SpywareBlaster as freeware for individuals to use - which would function the same as it always has and currently does. :) (The network version would basically be set up to help businesses keep thousands of computers protected, as opposed to the regular SpywareBlaster which is made for individual computers - we're talking about two completely separate versions here.)

Both versions of SpywareBlaster would be released by me - it wouldn't be businesses selling their own versions of SpywareBlaster (which is what I believe you were thinking of).

Hopefully that clears up any misunderstanding? :) (I was talking about a separate product for corporations.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

11. RedLobster

RedLobster Guest

Javacool said:

wouldn't be businesses selling their own versions of SpywareBlaster (which is what I believe you were thinking of).

JC, yes, indeed a major mis-understaning on my part. Thank you for your time in clearing this up. Just the thought of any business making their own versions had my knees knocking......but you set the matter straight......appreciated.
    For the second day I have monitored this forum an watched and seen what you are going through. My wife actually cryed.

12. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

Snapdragin:

I followed your directions and had no problems at all with installation. My question is can I safely delete that Spyblaster installation icon on my desktop? o_O

13. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Grayfox,

By SpywareBlaster installation icon, do you mean the shortcut icon to the program? Or do you mean the spywareblastersetup.exe file?

You can delete the setup file if you no longer want to keep it. I usually keep my downloaded setup files in case I might need them again, or they are replaced with an updated version of the program.

You can also delete the SpywareBlaster icon from your desktop if you have decided you don't want a short cut to the program. It is handy to have that though or you will have to go to Start-->All Programs-->SpywareBlaster to open the program that way. But keeping a desktop shortcut to a program is a personal choice. :)

Regards,

snap

14. r00ted

r00ted Registered Member

I didn't get a reply to my post on Page 7. Could someone answer it? :p I installed 3.0 right on top of the old install, without "disabling" protection and uninstalling the old version.

So, how can I be sure I am protected from these exploits that SpywareBlaster v3.0 "patches"? Or would it solve the problem by launching SpywareBlaster and disabling all protection, then doing a complete uninstall?

I just want some way to KNOW that I am being protected.

15. Adrian

Adrian Guest

Hi,

I'm wondering how SpywareBlaster handles multiple user accounts on Windows XP? Does the protection have to be applied seperately or are the changes system-wide?

Thanks for any help, great programme.

Adrian

16. Volans

Volans Registered Member

It's very simple to verify if SWB protect you, just open your browser(s) and verify that in the cookie manager block site list there are all the sites that you see in SWB.

17. r00ted

r00ted Registered Member

ok, I checked Mozilla Firefox's Cookies section and Im not seeing any of the references in there. So I guess Mozilla Firefox isn't supported yet (I believe this was addressed earlier in this thread, since the directory path(s) changed in the latest builds of Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox).

I checked Internet Options and am seeing some references under Restricted Sites as well as the Privacy "Advanced" for cookie handling so I guess it's working.

18. Volans

Volans Registered Member

For Firefox read this topic:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=26224
    and the messages I have posted in order to have protection waiting that Javacool fixes these bugs... ;)

19. greyfox

greyfox Registered Member

I meant the spyware blaster setup.exe file. When I downloaded it, I chose to save it to my desktop. I do want to keep the shortcut icon on the desktop. Thanks Snapdragin!

20. Crossbow

Crossbow Registered Member

To Javacool - "SpywareBlaster 3.0 problems starting on some Windows 98 or ME systems"

As I couldn't post a reply to the above I'd just like to say (if it helps) that for me (Win98se) it only happens in normal Windows conditions - it works fine in Safe Mode.

Is the above a clue to why it's not working in normal Win conditions?

Of course, tried your 'missing files' fixes to no avail. (Also ran SFC & installed 'missing' files comdlg32.ocx & richtx32.ocx - still no joy.)

Last but not least, many thanks for a brilliant program :D

(Having the same problem with another program - GetRight - works in Safe Mode but not in normal Win conditions)

21. Clouseau

Clouseau Registered Member

I have been using spywareblaster the past year or so. I also have pestpatrol. After upgrading to spywareblaster 3.0 I began having a problem with both spywareblaster and pestpatrol. when I open spywareblaster, it tells me that one restricted site is not protected-that being xxxtoolbar. When I enable the protection for xxxtoolbar, pestpatrol finds the pest CWS.googleMS.3
    I delete the pest and close pest patrol. Open spywareblaster, and the protection against xxxtoolbar is now turned off.
    This is an unending loop.
    Anyone have the same problem or have any idea what's what? Any solutions?
    thanx
    Clouseau
    PS
    I have also asked pestpatrol about this problem, and am waiting for a reply.

22. Double D

Double D Guest

Is SpywareBlaster 3.0 compatible with Win'95?

23. javacool

It sounds like a false-positive on Pest Patrol's part.

Can you exclude that detection from Pest Patrol?

Thanks,

-Javacool

24. javacool

Yes, SpywareBlaster 3.0 is compatible with Windows 95. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

25. Double D

Double D Guest

Javacool

Thanks..the reason I asked is, I've seen conflicting answers to the question...

Some say yes..

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2859.html

Some say no..

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spywareblaster.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.