SpywareBlaster 2.6.1 Update Errors

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by deadmanschest, Sep 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadmanschest

deadmanschest Registered Member

:(

I have d'led and installed v. 2.6.1 and continually get an 'unable to connect to update' screen reproduced below. All my firewall permissions are fine, as all earlier versions did the auto update just fine. I have re-installed 2.6.1 and even re-installed 2.6, which always updated fine, and no joy..

Now the kicker - about the same time I re-installed that frigging IE6sp1, only for the purpose of installing some stupid software that insisted that IE had to be on the system, prior to that I had nuked it with IERadicator...

I do not allow IE6 to do anything, and all permissions are set to high and total deny of anything.....

So, in summary, SWB2.6.1 ran fine w/o IE, but perhaps when that spawn of the devil was reintroduced it may have screwed up SWB2.6.1? Say it aint so...

Any ideas? Any way to update the database by a manual download and install?

Thx

dmc

Attached Files:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi dmc,

Your other thread regarding posting new topics has been moved to here.

Given IE's integration into the OS, perhaps its installation somehow altered your systems default proxy settings. (It might be interesting to look through all options in Internet Options... > Connections (dialup and LAN) and see if anything odd is there.)

But, in any case, have you tried the other options available in SpywareBlaster > Settings?

Attached Files:

3. deadmanschest

Thats works a charm, damn IE....

:)
    Thanks LowWaterMark - worked a charm, and all updated now...I detest MS and I detest IE - clearly it somehow o_Oo_O duh effected my 'system' connection..Anyway, I checked use direct connection and bingo, bobs yer uncle...

I have had some other connection problems, AVG 6.0 for one, but a lot of others had the same failure, and I did not blame IE for that, but now I do.....damn them...

I did a local install, browser only, allowed no file associiatons, etc, but I think it still jobbed me....

I'm going to IERadicate the damn thing again, as I was able to install the stupid software that 'needed 't; for install, but of course, does not need to run....

thanks again, with IE back on my system I reallly really wanted to run SWBlaster heheheheh....

:D

dmc

4. deadmanschest

Damn IE again, now SpywareGuard is hooped....

:) aaaah, spoke too soon....

After resetting and saving the setting in SpyWareBlaster, I thought hey, why not see what SpywareGuard will do...

(just for fun, language warning though, there is a screenshot below of the warning page that I got when I fired up SWGuard - recall that I have just re-installed IE and made some 'customizations' to the default values...)

Anyway, I tried to update SWGuard and got the same 'error' message, but I cannot find or access any setting for update in SWGuard, I just the basic window.....?

Any ideas? THere is nothing in that stupid Internet Options connection that helps - all is the same as before,...damn them..

Thanks again

dmc

Attached Files:

5. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi DMC,

I know you have a few threads going on elsewhere so I am unsure if you have tried this but it you haven't ;) ...

Can you please download and run HijackThis from

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/hijackthis.zip

and scan the system but do *not* try to fix anything yet as many of the items listed are necessary, instead press the "save log" button and copy and paste the log here for someone to review and advise on.

Thanks

6. deadmanschest

Hehe - no hijack, just some fun...

:D Hi Dan Perez;

- Sorry, that screenshot was some gallows humour, not an issue of the startpage being hiacked....

A new install of IE6 has sabotaged my internet connectivety thru certain apps - SpywareBlaster (now fixed) and SpyWareGuard, still broken. ..

The screenshot was just to show that SPyWareGuard is doing its job..as a matter of course I change all the default MSN and MS web addresses/ search pages etc. to our friends at (ahem) F**kMicrosoft.com, (now Microsucks.com)
    Just a small bit of satisfaction for the years of c**p I put up with IE and its ilk...

Unfortunately, it has made some change to my LAN connecition and screwed up these update apps, so who knows....I'm going to IERadicate it now anyway, damn thing...

Thanks for the suggestion, any ideas on how to reset the update feature in SpyWareGuard would do the trick...hhehe

dmc :D

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Please make sure that, under the connections tab and then "Lan Settings", "automatically detect settings" is selected. Could you let me know what other items, if any, are checked? Thanks in advance. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. deadmanschest

Nuked IE - problem solved...hehe

:D Hi javacool, thanks for the suggestion....the problem is solved, altho in a backwards way as usual it seems...

Both SpywareBlaster, by resetting the Update settings, and SpywareGuard, by IERadicating IE (again) are now working and updating as usual...

Synopsis - I think what happened is that when I i) reinstalled IE6 and ii) set up Proxo as http proxy for IE6 on localhost:8080 that bl**dy fr****ing MS in its wisdom must have decided that all apps and all protocols MUST go thru localhost:8080...perhaps thats why.....Ah Son of a B**ch, I just managed to get my FTP update back on AVG as well.

[In Windows Internet options, the little check box for "all protocols" was checked by Windoze, that greys out the other protocol boxes for address and port, and to the casual eye, it looks like just http is checked for Proxy....what dickheads they are]

By IERadicating IE6 all my other protocols (except http and https) and all my other apps are now making direct connections to the internet...Damn MS....

Thanks, all solved. What a pain....

I nuked MSN Mess while I was at it, see how long Trillian will work now...heheheh

dmc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.