Spywareblaster 2.5.3 bug?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by The Penguin, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Penguin

The Penguin Guest

I've posted over on DSLReports, but no luck so far -

I've just installed Spywareblaster 2.5.3 (tried both methods, over the top, and installing after uninstalling my existing version)
    I've also tried re-booting and installing again.

I, "select all" to check the new additions (shown in red)
    Press, "Protect against checked items"
    I immediately get the, "success" message (no delay at all, which is unusual)
    The window containing the listed items then goes blank for a brief period, then when it reappears, the new items that I'd checked are still in red and unchecked!
    I went into, "Help" and there is nothing listed on ANY subject under the, "index" tab - just blank!
    Any ideas?
    I am running Win95, IE5.5

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Something sounds strange - (I noticed your last comment: the help file should definitely not be empty).

What version of SpywareBlaster were you using (if any) before 2.5.3? Having that information could help me greatly.

EDIT: It sounds like SpywareBlaster may not be able to access your registry correctly. Do you have any programs enabled that might block access to the registry, or revert changes made?

TIA! :)

-Javacool

4. The Penguin

The Penguin Guest

Hullo Javacool - No, I don't have any programs that should be blocking any reg entry. I've been using Spywareblaster since it came out, with no problems in any of the versions.
    My last version, which I uninstalled prior to this was 2.5.2

I have also used RegCleaner to remove the residual reg entries left over by 2.5.2 after uninstalling it, so my pc should be pretty well clean of any previous versions.

With, "Help" the "Contents" part is there, but not the "Index"
    I checked the SWBlaster folder, and I have the file sbhelp.chm there.
    I've tried re-installing and running the program yet again, but still with the same problem.
    This is weird. o_O

5. javacool

A few more questions, and then we'll go the "beta sent, please try" route :rolleyes:

Can you try deselecting a random item in the list that IS checked (say, one of the first ones), press the "Remove Protection" button, and then see if it turns red? If that item then does turn red, could you try checking it again and pressing the "Protect" button?

If you could post what happens when you try to do the above, it would be appreciated.

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. The Penguin

The Penguin Guest

Thanks for the assistance.

I unchecked and, "unprotected" and the item turned red.
    I then re-checked it and, "protected" and the item reurned to it's protected (black) state.

So that bit worked ok.
    The new additions remain stubbornly red!

7. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hello there!

The "bug" must be with your particular PC. I am running Win98se and have had no such problems like this. I even checked my listings and they are fine. When checking off new items on the list, I prefer to do it manually so I can see what they are first.

You may have a corrupted download. I suspect this because you said that the help file is missing. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling from a fresh download?

Best regards from Larry :)

P.S. Hi Javacool! ~waves~

8. The penguin

The penguin Guest

Hullo Larry, Thanks for the reply,
    It is not a corrupt download, as I tried downloading and installing again from a separate source, and got the same problem.

Also, I don't think the help file itself is actually missing (I have a total of ten files in the folder, one of them being sbhelp.chm)

My pc seems to be running everything else as usual, and I've had no problems with previous versions of Spywareblaster.

9. Ian Bartlett

Ian Bartlett Guest

I also have Win95 and IE5 and wonder if there is a compatibility question with Spywareblaster 2.5 (all versions). The program generally works fine although I find it a bit slow. I get a blank "help" index (only) and after checking for updates through the link which works fine - it downloads, installs etc as it should - I get a glitch when I come finally closing the program. I click on "X" and all the buttons go black one by one with a beep on each and a box comes up headed "SpywareBlaster" with the message "Run Time Error -21472210089800401f0): System Error &H800401F0(-214722100:cool:". When I click "OK" on this box the program then immediately closes . This only happens after I have used the update link otherwise the program will close perfectly normally. I like the program and am prepared to live with these glitches which might sort themselves out in future versions - who knows?

10. javacool

Alright, I believe this is related to the 4/3/03 update and SpywareBlaster 2.5.2.

Could you try pressing the "Deselect All" button, then pressing the "Remove Protection" button, and then closing down SpywareBlaster, rebooting, and attempting to Select All/Protect in SpywareBlaster?

Let me know what happens.

TIA.

-Javacool

11. javacool

It sounds like, in your case, you may not have the latest version of the VB run-times.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb60pro/Redist/sp5/WIN98Me/EN-US/vbrun60sp5.exe

Please try downloading and installing the file above. If it does not help, the next step would be to check what version of MSINET.OCX you have present on your system.

Best regards,

-Javacool

12. Ian Bartlett

Ian Bartlett Guest

Thank you, javacool. I already have the latest vb60 run file. I aso have v.6.00.8862 of both msinet and mscomctl. It seems that the glitch with Win95 and/or IE5 is with Spywareblaster v.2.5 because v.2.0.2 was absolutely fine. No one appears to have a definitive answer because I posted before about this. It was seeing that another Win95 user had a similar problem with a blank "help" index that prompted me to post again. As I mentioned I am quite happy with the program as is because it seems to run OK and I can live with the glitches.

13. The Penguin

The Penguin Guest

Hullo Javacool - I did that, unchecked all, unprotected, exited, shut down. re-booted, checked all, protected.
    But again, the latest additions remained in the red.
    I noted that all the problem entries are, "Cookie" type.
    Is this a clue as to the problem?
    I do have CookiePal installed, and wondered if there was some kind of conflict, so I shut down CookiePal and tried again - but with the same negative results. :(

14. javacool

Ah - well that explains it then.

Since you have Windows 95, the cookie protection will not work for you (as it requires IE 6 and there is no IE 6 for Win 95). Simply go into Settings and check the box named "Do not show spyware/tracking cookies". Then you won't see them. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

15. The Penguin

The Penguin Guest

Hullo Javacool - Thanks for the info' - mystery solved! - guess I can cover the cookie side of things with CookiePal.
    Thanks again for the input. P :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.